Iffff we were to look for a coach who would be realistic targets?

I’d put my money on Lavall Jordan, though he probably doesn’t have a long enough track record at the high-major level. He might be inclined to keep some assistants, which would hold the recruiting class together. IDK, this one’s a doozy.

1 Like

I’ll be happy if Yaklich is still on the staff in any form whatsoever.

If he doesn’t get the job, throw a crazy offer at Tony Bennett or Chris Beard and see what happens?

I don’t know if they prefer someone on staff (likely Yaklich) on a shorter term deal because it is late in the coaching cycle and may be hard to find someone at this stage… but Michigan has to be one of the best college jobs available. Programs with the success Michigan has had recently don’t frequently have a vacancy come available. Two names I would love Michigan to reach out to, though: Mark Few and Randy Bennett.

Edit: And even though I mentioned Yaklich, I would imagine that Beilein has interest in bringing him along to Cleveland. No idea if Yaklich has interest in leaving the college game, but given the defensive success, it would seem very plausible that Beilein would try to hire him.

They won’t do that. I don’t like the idea of any of the assistants taking over, they’ve never been a head coach anywhere.

Chris Beard just signed a 6-year 25MM extension. I doubt that it’s feasible to buy him out.

Beard is Texas bred - can’t see him leaving A&M for the midwest. Think it will be very difficult to pull away a top-tier coach at this point (late) in the year.

I just hate the idea of kicking tread on coaches who have failed (multiple times) in the past. Would rather take my chances on an up and coming coach.

Also, the ESPN article mentioned the Cavs surrounding Beilein with assistants with NBA experience - not saying he won’t bring a Yaklich with him, but that was noted.

1 Like

Gregg Marshall is probably my top realistic candidate right now. Wichita was playing really good ball by the end of the year in a rebuilding year,

3 Likes

Marshall has to be a realistic option - good coach with high major potential (could have left for many openings a few years ago) coming off a rebuilding year…

1 Like

I’m sifting through barttorvik.com to see if there’s anybody interesting. Rick Turner UC Irvine? He has some NBA background with Golden State.

Tony Bennett has to be the first call. I am not sure how attainable he is, but if TB was ever going to leave, now is the time.

Doesn’t make top end money.

Just cut the nets down.

Going into a rebuilding-ish type of year.

I would check the temperature on Billy Donovan. I am not sure he is THAT long for the OKC job anymore. What is their ceiling?

Jay Wright? Why not, the Big East sucks.

I echo the Gregg Marshall thoughts. Good news is any new coach is walking into a very good team too. It’s not an elite school with a rebuild type scenario.

1 Like

Quinn said this, but I think step one has to be call the big name guys (he said Wright, Stevens, Donovan, I’d add Bennett) and force them to turn it down. Then you look at more feasible candidates.

Gregg Marshall, to me, would be the front-runner. LaVall is probably the leading candidate though if you told me to guess who would get the job.

1 Like

I don’t think of Bennett as being attainable. I’m sure the money will be coming to him after winning the chip. I don’t recall any coach who has left for a “lateralish” position after winning the chip.

Also, don’t care for Donovan - something about him rubs me the wrong way. Also, not sure where his mindset is with the NBA.

Wright or Marshall would be great fits I think

1 Like

A year ago I would have said there’s no chance at Brad Stevens but now it might be worth a call…

2 Likes

Crazy to think Bennett would leave two months after winning a title. The timing is bad for doing a normal coaching search. The best candidates have mostly been hired or locked up by their current schools. If you want to swing for the fences, maybe the timing makes Brad Stevens less implausible.

Michigan has good reason to stay on their current course which leaves 3 main candidates; Saadi, Yak and LaVall. Each would be a more ideal option in 2-3 years. I’d ask Beilein’s opinion. LaVall would take a full commitment. Yak or Saadi could be quasi-interims.

Stevens isn’t coming. Let’s please not embarrass ourselves about that delusion of grandeur like other fanbases do… Call Few, Wright, and Bennett. They’ll probably hang up immediately. Then find your Chris Holtmann.

1 Like

I gained a lot of respect for what Marshall did this past season at Wichita.

Last summer he lost 6 seniors (all starters or rotation players), his best player, Shamet, to the draft, one of their best underclassmen, Reeves, as an Oklahoma transfer (he briefly considered us), on top of another underclassman transfer from the end of the bench.

They had one of the youngest teams in the country last season filled with mostly mid-major quality talent. They started the season off very slow, 1-6 in the AAC and 8-11 overall. Things started to click as they hit February and they were able to earn an NIT berth. They would go on to win 3 true road games (@Furman, @Clemson, and @Indiana) before losing in the NIT semi-finals to Lipscomb at MSG.

He’s also bringing a top 40 class (with 2 4-stars) to Wichita next season.

He’s #1 on my list right now.

2 Likes

Let’s get the Marshall bandwagon going. If you’re on the Stevens or Wright train just skip that disappointment and get on board now.

3 Likes

Marshall is not a great recruiter and has a poor personality. I think we can find a better fit…imo.

2 Likes