Iffff we were to look for a coach who would be realistic targets?

For being at Wichita State he does a decent job recruiting. Several NBA players. If John Beilein were at Wichita St he’d be recruiting worse than Marshall

3 Likes

Let’s dream big. Beilein put michigan back on the map and made it a very desirable gig. Let’s go after the Harbaugh equivalents of college basketball. Some top 10-15 coaches.

No thanks on Greg Marshall

3 Likes

Marshall has sent 5 players to the NBA over his 12 seasons at Wichita State including former walk-on Ron Baker who emerged from a town of less than 4K people in the rural western part of the state. Graduating senior Markis McDuffie has a decent shot at being the 6th.

2 Likes

Bennett, Stevens, Beard make the call.
Greg Marshall. Nate Oats. Ed Cooley. Wes Miller (no ties but he is a stud)
Interview Vall, Yak, Saddi.

Wish the in state schools had a stud coach we could poach but those guys are all just meh.

1 Like

Is Thad Matta an option?

Throwing a name out there – Becky Hammon? She turned away Colorado State interest, but she’s not getting looks at the NBA level. I assume that means she’s Pop’s heir apparent – among, ahem, other more archaic reasons – but is it worth taking a look.

1 Like

ESPN’s Borzello says.

Recommendation: Bobby Hurley or Mike White (if not Billy Donovan).

I think both of these guys are attainable and would have success. They’ve done well the last few years in terms of NCAA tournament appearances, but could also be interested in a move. That said, if there’s any chance Donovan leaves the Thunder for college, he’s the obvious hire for Michigan.

Prediction: Billy Donovan.

The buzz continues to grow that Donovan would be interested in a return to college coaching – and this would be his best opportunity over the next year or two. This would make a lot of sense for both sides.

1 Like

I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t be able to get a really big name to come in here and take the job. I think we are a top 10 college basketball coaching job thanks in large part to Beilein building up the program.

1 Like

Meh Donovan is really dirty (see his time at UF) I doubt he’s even an option

3 Likes

If we don’t have good options, Isn’t promoting Yak or someone internally for a year, then waiting till next offseason to see who is available, an option??

1 Like

Would people be able to handle Stevens if it meant paying him 5-6-7 million?

1 Like

I’m with you, for the most part, other than interviewing Jordan. If you watched the talented Butler team he inherited play this year, you wouldn’t even entertain the thought.

Beilein was making four million, no? Stevens is the biggest home run of home runs in my eyes. If you can hire him, you do.

4 Likes

No that would set the program back years, can’t have an interim coach when you need to sign 5 high level guys for the 2020 class

yea no debate on talent here, its more about paying your football and bball coach a combined $15+ million and the perception of that

That’s definitely fair. I do think here at Michigan though, it’s a bit different with the emphasis on sports but still having enough balance that it’s a top-tier research university as well. Work hard, play hard, is what they say. I guess it applies to this too?

I used to really like him, but he’s old and his program has been declining for a few years.

Porter Moser is a name to watch, IMO.

Think the notion about being dirty can be put aside until the NCAA decides to actually do something. I would say find someone who is LESS dirty than most, but at this point go on ahead and be a little dirty. NCAA says it’s okay based on their actions.

1 Like

Why not? Easily worth the investment.

1 Like