Glenn Robinson waived

No one is saying athleticism isn't a huge factor at being good in the NBA. You are using that as a strawman. My point has been that a player that a player with GRIII's size has to either be: A) A freakish, world-class athlete B) Possess an above average skill (ie. ballhandling, shooting

or he will most likely find himself playing in the D-League or over in Europe. Even freak athletes with more size than GRIII are regular DNP - Coaches Decision when playing for a competent (read: not the 76ers) team. To act like all someone needs is athleticism to be in the NBA is a fallacy.

Also, Tony Mitchell, a 6’8 235 freak athlete, is out of the NBA and currently plays in Puerto Rico. It’s probably John Beilein’s fault for saying hi to him at the O’Hare airport one day back in June 2011.

Athleticism with toughness generally means you will at least be a decent player in the league. GR3 is soft as Charmin. Kenneth Faried, who doesn’t possess a lick of skill, just signed a 50 mil contract based on that combination of athleticism and toughness. Jimmy Butler is the other example - very little skill before this yea but his athleticism and toughness at GR3’s size made him a real commodity.

So, no, you don’t need to be a freak athlete or most likely play in the Dleague, that is false. To act otherwise is silly. I guess JB JB trained both of those guys in the off season and earned them 5o mill. lol

By the way - your hibernation awaits…

MattD, are you a Pistons fan? You were probably elated when the Pistons drafted athletic, explosive Tony Mitchell. I bet it drives you nuts that Kyle Singler has been a far more capable pro, despite being inferior athletically.

Actually, Im a Lakers fan, a huge one. And it makes me laugh that Jordan Clarkson is exponentially better than Nik Stauskas based on athleticism alone. I bet it drives you nuts that Russell Westbrook is the best player in the world without one bit of skill…

No one is saying athleticism isn't a huge factor at being good in the NBA. You are using that as a strawman. My point has been that a player that a player with GRIII's size has to either be: A) A freakish, world-class athlete B) Possess an above average skill (ie. ballhandling, shooting

or he will most likely find himself playing in the D-League or over in Europe. Even freak athletes with more size than GRIII are regular DNP - Coaches Decision when playing for a competent (read: not the 76ers) team. To act like all someone needs is athleticism to be in the NBA is a fallacy.

Also, Tony Mitchell, a 6’8 235 freak athlete, is out of the NBA and currently plays in Puerto Rico. It’s probably John Beilein’s fault for saying hi to him at the O’Hare airport one day back in June 2011.

Athleticism with toughness generally means you will at least be a decent player in the league. GR3 is soft as Charmin. Kenneth Faried, who doesn’t possess a lick of skill, just signed a 50 mil contract based on that combination of athleticism and toughness. Jimmy Butler is the other example - very little skill before this yea but his athleticism and toughness at GR3’s size made him a real commodity.

So, no, you don’t need to be a freak athlete or most likely play in the Dleague, that is false. To act otherwise is silly. I guess JB JB trained both of those guys in the off season and earned them 5o mill. lol

So GR3 is a 6’6" athlete who is “soft as charmin.” But he still would have been a better NBA player if he went to school elsewhere and didn’t need to develop a jump shot?

That’s actually laughable.

MattD, are you a Pistons fan? You were probably elated when the Pistons drafted athletic, explosive Tony Mitchell. I bet it drives you nuts that Kyle Singler has been a far more capable pro, despite being inferior athletically.

Actually, Im a Lakers fan, a huge one. And it makes me laugh that Jordan Clarkson is exponentially better than Nik Stauskas based on athleticism alone. I bet it drives you nuts that Russell Westbrook is the best player in the world without one bit of skill…

So GR3 is a 6’6" athlete who is “soft as charmin.” But he still would have been a better NBA player if he went to school elsewhere and didn’t need to develop a jump shot?

That’s actually laughable.

Yes, because another school would’ve forced him to play defense a box out - at UM that’s an afterthought. You don’t necessarily need a jumpshot at that size in the league per the Faried and Butler examples if you can run in transition and rebound with that type of athleticism

I mean, yes, there are some guys in the league who are 6’6" athletes without much skill. But there are a lot more 6’6" guys in the league who are either good shooters and/or creators.

You said, and I agree, that GR3 isn’t tough. I think it’s a lot easier to teach someone like GR3 to become a great shooter than it is to teach him to become tougher and more aggressive.

I mean, yes, there are some guys in the league who are 6'6" athletes without much skill. But there are a lot more 6'6" guys in the league who are either good shooters and/or creators.

You said, and I agree, that GR3 isn’t tough. I think it’s a lot easier to teach someone like GR3 to become a great shooter than it is to teach him to become tougher and more aggressive.

Totally agree with you there, but I think another school would’ve prepared GR3 a bit better in terms of boxing out on defense. Also think another school that plays pressure D and generates TOs would’ve fit him better because he would’ve had more transition opportunity

Sounds like the 76ers Claimed GR3 off waivers.

GR3’s freshman year was the ideal outcome for him in every way - showcased strengths while hiding weaknesses, and team success, especially late and in the tourney, is great for draft stock, and he had excellent training on guard skills. Only real question is when he should’ve declared.

Yup. I’m sure GRIII regrets starting in a national championship game.

In todays NBA a 6ft6 player needs to be able to defend both the 2 and 3 spot as well as create some sort of match up problem on the offensive end of the court. GR3 struggles to do any of them well enough to get minutes in the NBA.

Having mad hops has never been and will probably never will lead to a real career in the NBA.

In todays NBA a 6ft6 player needs to be able to defend both the 2 and 3 spot as well as create some sort of match up problem on the offensive end of the court. GR3 struggles to do any of them well enough to get minutes in the NBA.

Having mad hops has never been and will probably never will lead to a real career in the NBA.

This is just false…there is no way a 6’6 player needs to be able to defend 2/3 and create a matchup problem on offense.

Kenneth Faried, Jimmy Butler, Thabo Sefolosha (although he’s a bit bigger), Rajon Rondo, Draymond Green are all examples of players in that general size that can’t do both that are going to have lengthy NBA careers.

This is just false…there is no way a 6’6 player needs to be able to defend 2/3 and create a matchup problem on offense.

Kenneth Faried, Jimmy Butler, Thabo Sefolosha (although he’s a bit bigger), Rajon Rondo, Draymond Green are all examples of players in that general size that can’t do both that are going to have lengthy NBA careers.

Faried listed at 6ft8 - Butler also taller and can defend his position as well as create match up problems and hit an open jumper - Sefolosha is also taller and is often considered a defensive stopper as well as a far better shooter than GR3 - comparing Rondo and Green and all they can do with GR3 is comical.

Okay, if you insist on sending traffic elsewhere.

Okay, if you insist on sending traffic elsewhere.

I don’t think posters calling each other idiots when neither is completely right nor completely wrong does much for traffic.

Please drop the Rondo/Green NBA discussion. Probably better suited for RealGM or something.

GR3 playing pretty well tonight vs. my Lakers. Granted, this game is absolutely meaningless other than both teams intentionally tanking and giving marginal NBA players such as GR3 a shot at a new contract, he is still playing hard. Not shooting the ball all that well, but has been able to knock down a 3 and a midrange jumpshot. Most noticeable, he’s crashing the glass hard…something that evaded him at UM.