The Truth

I’m not going to be diplomatic, I’m going to tell it like it is because it’s true. We are simply too soft on the glass and on defense in general. From a philosophical standpoint, this game is my big grudge against failing to get players that are more physically imposing on the interior. We simply lack the requisite intensity and physicality, and although many may not want to admit that, it is the truth.

Now I understand this is only one game, but this has been an issue since Coach B arrived, and at some point it needs to be addressed. I mean, how the hell can ISU of all teams, make Michigan look soft. They seemed to outwork us and play with greater intensity when it mattered most, and that is what I absolutely hate as a die hard Michigan fan and alumni.

Physicality/Intensity on the interior is the ONLY thing keeping us from being elite EVERY year. Why not address the issue and improve upon your weaknesses. I don’t want to hear “that’s the system”. Well if the system has flaws, you know what you do, you fix the flaw.

Here’s hoping we get more physical through the course of the year. We have a very talented team that is capable of outscoring any team on a given night, but we simply can’t win consistently without improving our defense and rebounding on the interior.

Every forum needs a troll, I guess.

Troll - you have to be kidding me. I am the furthest thing from a troll. Please don’t throw around misinformed assumptions, especially in response to a thread that speaks volumes about the truth.

Mitch McGary is one of the best “bangers” in college basketball. He played injured. Step away from the ledge.

Every forum needs a troll, I guess.

I notice your reaction was “disagree” to my post - since I’m a troll tell me what you disagree with, or what exactly did I post that was not truthful? I’m really curious to get your response.

Agree with MattD on this one. Enough Scholarships to hand out to have a couple bangers. How bout 2 unused ones we have this year. Not cool to have 2 unused scholarships. Unacceptable.

Mitch McGary is one of the best "bangers" in college basketball. He played injured. Step away from the ledge.

Exactly the problem - ONE rather than taking on a plural form.

I’d agree if we didn’t control the game the majority of the time. We lost due to inexperience.

We lose more games due to missing the front end of one and ones more than anything else, I swear.

I'd agree if we didn't control the game the majority of the time. We lost due to inexperience.

We lose more games due to missing the front end of one and ones more than anything else, I swear.

Great point, FT shooting was a problem last year as well

Totally agree Matt. We play a 4 guard and 1 big man rotation most of the time and it simply doesn’t cut it. We need someone that can man the high post/low post and collect rebounds, score, and help on defense when they are trying to post us up. Caris was 1 on 1 too many times against bigger stronger guys and they just kept get easy lay ups. Even if we can’t get a superstar 4 or 5 guy, I don’t think it would be too hard to find a lower 4 star or 3 star recruit that can fit this role.

I don’t think we will ever see going hard on the glass as Beilein’s MO. If you are expecting that to change, I don’t see it as likely unfortunately. His teams have always relied on movement offense and not committing fouls (something the refs did not help with today). I would guess you would like to see some of Izzo’s rebounding mindset on Michigan teams and give up more fouls? (not trying to be counterproductive, just asking honestly)

Edit: and please let me clarify, I’m not trying to take the “it’s the system” I’m pointing to the coach. I’ve watched Beilein all the way through since WVU (grew up there) and this has always been the case.

I don't think we will ever see going hard on the glass as Beilein's MO. If you are expecting that to change, I don't see it as likely unfortunately. His teams have always relied on movement offense and not committing fouls (something the refs did not help with today). I would guess you would like to see some of Izzo's rebounding mindset on Michigan teams and give up more fouls? (not trying to be counterproductive, just asking honestly)

Dingo - have no problems at all with the offense. I thought we had good looks from 3 tonight, just didn’t knock em down.

On D though, as much as it pains me to say this, I would love to have a Dawson or Payne to roam the interior, those guys simply will not be outworked on the glass, will rotate on D, and will not give up uncontested layups - in other words they’re tough.

I don't think we will ever see going hard on the glass as Beilein's MO. If you are expecting that to change, I don't see it as likely unfortunately. His teams have always relied on movement offense and not committing fouls (something the refs did not help with today). I would guess you would like to see some of Izzo's rebounding mindset on Michigan teams and give up more fouls? (not trying to be counterproductive, just asking honestly)

Edit: and please let me clarify, I’m not trying to take the “it’s the system” I’m pointing to the coach. I’ve watched Beilein all the way through since WVU (grew up there) and this has always been the case.

I don’t think you have to play like MSU to be a decent rebounding team. We just lack physical players (aside from McGary). Did you see how many times McGary hustled for rebounds, even if he didn’t end up getting them. You rarely see that from Horford and practically never see that from Morgan. I’d like to see how our team would play with a 7 footer at the 5, rather than 6 foot 8 Morgan and 6 foot 9 Horfod.

We have to be patient, keep winning and upgrade the talent level. Are Donnal, Wilson, Doyle upgrades over Morgan, McGary and Horford is the question.

On D though, as much as it pains me to say this, I would love to have a Dawson or Payne to roam the interior, those guys simply will not be outworked on the glass, will rotate on D, and will not give up uncontested layups - in other words they're tough.

I guess my comment/thought was trying to be applicable to D as well, but I digress. The stat that disappoints me (without checking the box score) was no blocked shots in this game. And I agree that has always been a consistent issue and may be an indicator of your concerns. It’s one of the reasons I was really hoping for Donte Grantham because he could defend the 4 and defend the rim as well.

Upsetting loss of course, but hopefully the team will toughen up with more big tests against BIG frontcourts (see: Arizona) before B1G play.

No

We have to be patient, keep winning and upgrade the talent level. Are Donnal, Wilson, Doyle upgrades over Morgan, McGary and Horford is the question.

Only time will tell, but at this point, I’d venture to say that is actually a downgrade on defense/rebounding to be honest. That’s what has me terrified for next year. I don’t think those guys can compensate for the lack of D/rebounding with the offense. I think most would agree if they were to step back and think rationally.

Donnal is a twig…he will get outworked unless he can pack on some serious muscle. He doesn’t look like he has a bulky body type either so I don’t know how much bigger he can be. Doyle might be an improvement, haven’t seen too much however. Wilson will probably redshirt, but unless he puts on muscle he would also be a step back. I think Kam Chatman can fill GRIII’s rebounding role though, so that’s a plus. Also Caris isn’t the strongest guy out there but with his length (sort of Michael Carter Williams-like) I think he can be a steady rebounding source for us.

Caris clearly is in dire need of another 20 lbs of muscle.

Kam will end playing the 4 so as to get the best 5 on the floor. I am fine with that as he is excellent rebounder. He may be 6’8. 6’9 by time he gets here.