DJ Wilson - New Footage @ MLK Classic

Be warned, the footage is not all that impressive. I think this footage pretty much confirms what most of us already know - DJ looks to have a nice offensive skill set, but has a lot of work to do on the defensive end, and just doesn’t seem comfortable in the post in general. Will definitely need a RS year to bulk up. Above and beyond that though, there are just way too many easy baskets given up by Wilson where he either didn’t get back on defense or failed to deny post position or contest shots sufficiently. Seemed very tentative on offense against increased comp in this footage. It must be noted however, that DJ was up against Ivan Rabb (15’ 5 star/#3), so I’m not sure if many players would look good considering the competition.

FWIW… DJ was disappointed in his play.

http://twitter.com/Lanky_Smoove/status/425501685398532096

He just needs to add weight and JB will coach him up.

Biggest issue I saw was not getting back on defense. Rabb beat him down the court several times for easy dunks. And Rabb is on another level as a player.

Consider it payback From when DJ Wilson Dominated Ivan Rabb in the Past!! http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2013/10/michigan_hoops_commit_dj_wilso.html

Mitch, GRIII, and Nik all go pro = no one redshirts. We’ ll need everyone. All 10.

Mitch, GRIII, and Nik all Ho pro = no one redshirts. We' ll need everyone. All 10.

Not sure about that

Walton, Spike
Caris, Zak, Chatman
Chatman, Donnal
Horford, Donnal, Doyle

Wilson redshirts

• maybe add another wing in the spring

Am I missing something?

Yes. You listed 4 spots not 5.
Not going to redshirt someone to play 9 if have only 10 scholarship players.

Yes. You listed 4 spots not 5. Not going to redshirt someone to play 9 if have only 10 scholarship players.
Yes. You listed 4 spots not 5. Not going to redshirt someone to play 9 if have only 10 scholarship players.

Caris, Zak and Chatman should be able to split the minutes at the 2/3 like Nik, Caris, Zak

If Nik and McGary leaves then I definitely see 1 if not 2 more signings in the spring

If they all leave it would be nice to pick up another commitment. I wonder if we still in contact with Josh Cunningham.

I think there will be a few t100 decommitments and late bloomers. JB has rarely gone transfer route but that might be an option.

Also, we saw last year quite a bit and at times this year, a two PG lineup. It’s not crazy to project Albrecht getting 5-10mpg at the 2. Walton is going to warrant 30mpg next year and if a Junior Albrecht is one of our top 7-8 players, we will see Walton/Spike on the court together here and there.

PG Walton / Spike
SG LeVert / Irvin / Spike
SF Irvin / Chatman
PF Chatman / Donnal / Bielfeldt
C Horford / Doyle / Donnal

Here’s a question… Tom Crean’s 1st man off the bench tonight was walk-on Jeff Howard. He got 14 minutes last game and19 minutes tonight @MSU. Does Michigan have any walk-ons that would ever be able to contribute at a level better than Bielfeldt? They all seem to be 2s/3s, so if we are in a jam, is there any chance one of them could emerge as a 9th/10th man?

Also, we saw last year quite a bit and at times this year, a two PG lineup. It's not crazy to project Albrecht getting 5-10mpg at the 2. Walton is going to warrant 30mpg next year and if a Junior Albrecht is one of our top 7-8 players, we will see Walton/Spike on the court together here and there.

PG Walton / Spike
SG LeVert / Irvin / Spike
SF Irvin / Chatman
PF Chatman / Donnal / Bielfeldt
C Horford / Doyle / Donnal

Here’s a question… Tom Crean’s 1st man off the bench tonight was walk-on Jeff Howard. He got 14 minutes last game and19 minutes tonight @MSU. Does Michigan have any walk-ons that would ever be able to contribute at a level better than Bielfeldt? They all seem to be 2s/3s, so if we are in a jam, is there any chance one of them could emerge as a 9th/10th man?

No. Don’t see anyone among the walk-ons who could play with the game in doubt. Strictly mop up time for these guys.

Was wondering about Cunningham as well, sounds like a good prospect. Hope if Nik leaves we look at potential grad transfers as that would open up a ship for 15 again.

Any chance Drake Harris gets the itch to play college bball?

Let’s be honest here. Rabb is really good - an almost certain one and done player and super high lottery pick. His film reminded me of Randle. So if Wilson ends up guarding 2-3 players during his entire Michigan career that good, it would be a surprise.

The following quote is from Montaque Gill Caesar, top 2015 recruit who is thinking of reclassifying to 2014. Sounds like our style of play would suit him well, State is considered leading for him but would love if JB jumped in the race. Kid is from Toronto originally so get Nik in his ear to take his spot when he jumps to the league.

New rivals article from the UK website:
“Michigan State told me that they might need someone to fill the role of Gary Harris, in case he goes pro,” Gill-Caesar said. “They need someone to make shots right away.”
“I’m going to end up going somewhere that I can make an immediate impact and run in transition,” Gill-Caesar said. “I like schools that use a lot of ball-screens and let players free themselves up for shots, because that’s what my game is about.”
When asked who was recruiting him lately, he listed MSU first (not that that really means anything).

Ehhhh not fond of Montaue Gill Caesar. Dude is like two years older than his competition and none of his reels look impressive. I’d rather let Sparty get him and let us take Eric Davis/ Jalen Coleman instead.

My main worry is that we take one of Davis/Coleman AND Brunson, meaning we’re going to be significantly smaller in the future.

Ehhhh not fond of Montaue Gill Caesar. Dude is like two years older than his competition and none of his reels look impressive. I'd rather let Sparty get him and let us take Eric Davis/ Jalen Coleman instead.

My main worry is that we take one of Davis/Coleman AND Brunson, meaning we’re going to be significantly smaller in the future.

In most instances I’d echo your concerns regarding length 100%, but it’s not as if our perimeter players actually utilize the length to a great extent, especially on defense. We don’t generate TO’s or get in passing planes (although Caris had a jump on a pass that he converted for a dunk) consistently. On offense, I don’t see our perimeter players using length to finish outside of Nik at all. I think the bigger need for length is in the post.

Disagree.

Caris’ STL%, REB% and BLK% say that his length makes a difference, so does his DRTG.

Guys like Darius Morris, Nik and Caris have an advantage of seeing over the defense in the PnR, too.

Let’s not forget that we basically shot over Wisconsin because they were small.

Let’s not forget that the 1-3-1 becomes ineffective as a change of pace defense.

It’s a step down, regardless of what anyone would say otherwise.

double post