Glenn Robinson waived

I agree with Dylan and its what I’ve felt for a while now. Guys like GRIII are getting way too much hype and its skewing their opinion of themselves. The same thing is happening right now with Caris. Sure, Caris has the game to play at the next level, but there are aspects of his game that he could clean up that would probably put him at a bigger advantage if he were to stay, graduate, and get in the draft next year. Maybe if GRIII would have stayed this year, his stock would be higher and hed have another year of experience under JB that would benefit him.

Man... His biggest mistake was going to Michigan where he went to a Final Four an Elite Eight and won the Big Ten?

I don’t think Glenn had any problem showcasing his ability… his problem is that he still can’t shoot well enough or handle well enough to be a 6-6 wing in the NBA.

Also the four position is a wing position in this offense… I don’t understand the sitting in the corner talk. If you can create in this offense, you get the chances. For Glenn, that meant a bunch of pin downs and elbow jumpers or drifting along the baseline and finishing, but that was what fit his skillset and he did both very well last year.

Disappointed to see him get cut, but he’ll bounce back and end up somewhere else.

I don’t care about team accomplishments, we are engaging in dialogue releative to his biggest mistake. So, in that context, team accomplishments don’t mean much in my view. I think he could’ve been a much better fit with another school that forced TOs and allowed him to get out in transition.

It’s only an individual mistake if his goal was to be a more decorated college player. If his goal was to get to the NBA then it was not a mistake in the least bit. If he goes to a system that fits his skill set better, he would’ve probably averaged 16 and 8 and maybe been all conference and probably not been part of a FF and E8 team. And still gone in a similar position in the draft. Instead he went to Michigan and averaged 12 and 5 and raised some banners. I don’t really see the individual mistake unless his sole goal was to get individual honors. Could he have gone to a better place to develop particular skills? I don’t know…that’s part coaching and part individual. THJ never developed handling as much as we’d like but he did a bit. Nik and Caris have developed nicely under this staff. Even Irvin is becoming slightly competent in PnR situations. I know he probably couldn’t have come to a better place for a jumper.

Going to Michigan was a great idea. Playing with Burke is almost ideal. I would have jetted after my Freshman year and felt good about going to Michigan. Next best scenario is leaving after his Sophmore year. Worst of the three options is staying for his Junior and Senior year in my opinion because he would have been destined as a second round pick, in my opinion.

JB would still have him at the 4, sitting in the corner like all his 4's do

So what would have been better for his NBA development? Do you think he’d be better off in the NBA at 6’6" with post skills? Or was developing his wing skills actually best for his NBA chances?

Or are you saying he should have the exact same role, but classified as a 3 (since they are interchangeable in Michigan’s offense)?

To me, the only good argument here is that getting more reps defending 3s would have been better for his NBA prospects, but that’s not the point you made…

JB would still have him at the 4, sitting in the corner like all his 4's do

So what would have been better for his NBA development? Do you think he’d be better off in the NBA at 6’6" with post skills? Or was developing his wing skills actually best for his NBA chances?

Or are you saying he should have the exact same role, but classified as a 3 (since they are interchangeable in Michigan’s offense)?

To me, the only good argument here is that getting more reps defending 3s would have been better for his NBA prospects, but that’s not the point you made…

I think having a healthy NBA career is a long shot for GR3 no matter which route he chose. My stance on him going pro is he should have done it after year one. He was a consensus top 20 pick in all the mock drafts. It was a much weaker draft class in 2013 than 2014 and he was labeled a kid who had a ton of potential. He left at least 1-2 million dollars on the table by staying.

I do think GR3’s game will improve more with 365 days a year coaching he can receive in the NBA vs staying at Michigan. Also the competition in practice whether it be in the D-League or in the NBA will benefit him far more than competing with whatever walk-on he would be matched up with at Michigan.

With all that being said, he’ll get another contract.

It’s unfortunate that it’s not working out right now. I think a lot of people could have seen that when they traded for Wiggins and had already draft Lavine. When I see Robinson I think he would have been able to showcase his skills a little more if they played more up tempo. I love watching North Carolina and I see a similar guy in JP Tokoto, he isn’t a great shooter but since UNC plays up tempo he’s out in the open court more, he can show off his vision and looks much improved. I like Robinson but he never really seemed to take a big jump in his 2 years at Michigan.

Whether it was the right or wrong decision he just got drafted by the wrong team that was loaded with guys his size.According to their coach he was suppose to be playing in the D Leaque until they got hurt with all the injuries.Hope he will pick the right team to play for

GR3 made a decision to play against the best. Was it the best decision at the time? Probably not. Could he have thrived this year as the go-to scorer? Maybe, but we all thought that would be the case the year before. He is doing what he wants to do and that’s playing for money.

I think with a lot of the late first-early second round picks, your career depends on what team you get picked by. The Twolves were loaded at the small forward spot and there were ZERO minutes for him especially after getting Wiggins and Bennett. That was to go along with Thad Young (since traded), Chase Budinger, and Shabazz Muhammad. I’m not saying that you would thrive someplace else but he would be given a better opportunity based off the roster.

I’m sure GRIII just hated starting in the National Championship game as a true freshman. I’m sure he just hated being in a position to be one of the most efficient players in the country as a true freshman.

SMH.

MattD, are you a Pistons fan? You were probably elated when the Pistons drafted athletic, explosive Tony Mitchell. I bet it drives you nuts that Kyle Singler has been a far more capable pro, despite being inferior athletically.

MattD, are you a Pistons fan? You were probably elated when the Pistons drafted athletic, explosive Tony Mitchell. I bet it drives you nuts that Kyle Singler has been a far more capable pro, despite being inferior athletically.

Actually, Im a Lakers fan, a huge one. And it makes me laugh that Jordan Clarkson is exponentially better than Nik Stauskas based on athleticism alone. I bet it drives you nuts that Russell Westbrook is the best player in the world without one bit of skill…

If athleticism is the only thing that matters, will you explain why guys like Tony Mitchell and Thomas Robinson are useless NBA players?

If athleticism is the only thing that matters, will you explain why guys like Tony Mitchell and Thomas Robinson are useless NBA players?

Didn’t say it was the only thing that matters…its just a HUGE part of the equation in the NBA. Its why guys like Trey Burke are bad players in the league while guys like Blake Griffin are all stars. In order to make it in the league off skill alone…that skill needs to be ELITE

If I mention Tony Mitchell and Thomas Robinson again, will you address why they are useless or will you deflect again?

Mitchell and Robinson both have NBA size and elite athleticism. Why can’t they be NBA assets?

I’m asking sincerely because I don’t follow the NBA nearly as much as CBB or MLB.

If I mention Tony Mitchell and Thomas Robinson again, will you address why they are useless or will you deflect again?

Mitchell and Robinson both have NBA size and elite athleticism. Why can’t they be NBA assets?

I’m asking sincerely because I don’t follow the NBA nearly as much as CBB or MLB.

I don’t follow the Pistons, so I can’t really tell you much about Tony Mitchell other than he appears to be used sparingly. Thomas Robinson is actually a very good role player…I’ve watched him several times and don’t know where you get the notion that he’s useless. I’d venture to say he has one of the best rebounding rates in the league without looking at stats.

So I’ll pose a counter-question to you, why isn’t Nik Stauskas an asset in the NBA. Why is Trey Burke becoming worse by the year on a horrible team?

cough Gordon Hayward, Nikola Vucevic, both Gasol’s, etc. cough

*cough* Gordon Hayward, Nikola Vucevic, both Gasol's, etc. *cough*

Ahem…Westbrook, Griffin, Deandre Jordan, Drummond, Howard, Wiggins, Levine, Rudy Gay, John Wall…I could go on forever. Athleticism is a huge component in the NBA, it’s very difficult to be a good 2 way player in the league without it. I know some hate, because it’s counter to the notion of ‘hard work’ and ‘development’, and the UM model in general, but reality is reality. To a certain extent, elite basketball players are born rather than made. The best player in the world is the prime example. What he has cannot be taught, developed, or worked on. He was simply blessed with it

Not to mention Hayward and Pau are horrible defenders

So Trey Burke was one of the most dominant college players in the last few years. Should Michigan not recruit a guy like him because he doesn’t project to a super-athletic pro?

Not even sure what you are trying to prove at this point. Just look at the Big Ten, guys like Frank Kaminsky, Aaron White aren’t the best pro prospects, but they have been great Big Ten players for a long time.

So Trey Burke was one of the most dominant college players in the last few years. Should Michigan not recruit a guy like him because he doesn't project to a super-athletic pro?

Not even sure what you are trying to prove at this point. Just look at the Big Ten, guys like Frank Kaminsky, Aaron White aren’t the best pro prospects, but they have been great Big Ten players for a long time.

Your question isn’t relevant to Hail’s original question to me - he inquired if athleticism is the only thing that matters in the NBA.

You can get bt with skill only on college, because most elite athletes leave college after 1 year for the league, hence the defense isn’t all that great. But players like Trey Burke simply aren’t that good in the league because a) they can’t keep their man in front b) they can’t get enough separation to get clean looks c) don’t have the verticality two finish at the rim against NBA bigs

Despite any narrative from people here, athleticism is huge in the NBA, and realistically I think most people know that deep down

No one is saying athleticism isn’t a huge factor at being good in the NBA. You are using that as a strawman. My point has been that a player that a player with GRIII’s size has to either be:
A) A freakish, world-class athlete
B) Possess an above average skill (ie. ballhandling, shooting

or he will most likely find himself playing in the D-League or over in Europe. Even freak athletes with more size than GRIII are regular DNP - Coaches Decision when playing for a competent (read: not the 76ers) team. To act like all someone needs is athleticism to be in the NBA is a fallacy.

Also, Tony Mitchell, a 6’8 235 freak athlete, is out of the NBA and currently plays in Puerto Rico. It’s probably John Beilein’s fault for saying hi to him at the O’Hare airport one day back in June 2011.