Glenn Robinson waived

GRIII to be waived by Minnesota. So, did he make a mistake by leaving early or was it still the right thing for him to do?

It was the right decision.

He made the mistake from a financial standpoint not leaving after his freshman year.

He made the mistake. He went second round another year playing in Ann Arbor he could have boosted his stock.

I feel bad for him. I have never bought the you can develop in the NBA thing. When you are a second round pick the leeway is very short. Its not that much longer for 1st round pick, but you are likely to get more of a look.

You have to be lucky to get on a team that is willing to do that (veteran type team, playoff type team). Minnesota was a nightmare destination.

The most realistic situation was him probably being a 2nd round pick. I don’t see how you pass up 2 more years of eligibility for one contract and a potential future of being a journeyman if your lucky.

If his future was a second round pick, you mine as well play 4 years of college ball. You can’t just have one good year and think you have made it. You have to do it year after year.

He made the mistake. He went second round another year playing in Ann Arbor he could have boosted his stock.

JB would still have him at the 4, sitting in the corner like all his 4’s do

In retrospect, his biggest mistake, from an indivdual standpoint, was going to UM in th e first place. Most perimeter players simply aren’t going to flourish unless they have above average shooting. He would have been a much better fit at a school that plays pressure defense and is heavy in transition.

Man… His biggest mistake was going to Michigan where he went to a Final Four an Elite Eight and won the Big Ten?

I don’t think Glenn had any problem showcasing his ability… his problem is that he still can’t shoot well enough or handle well enough to be a 6-6 wing in the NBA.

Also the four position is a wing position in this offense… I don’t understand the sitting in the corner talk. If you can create in this offense, you get the chances. For Glenn, that meant a bunch of pin downs and elbow jumpers or drifting along the baseline and finishing, but that was what fit his skillset and he did both very well last year.

Disappointed to see him get cut, but he’ll bounce back and end up somewhere else.

In retrospect, his biggest mistake, from an indivdual standpoint, was going to UM in th e first place. Most perimeter players simply aren't going to flourish unless they have above average shooting. He would have been a much better fit at a school that plays pressure defense and is heavy in transition.

Yes, because playing in that type of a system (relative to Michigan, at least) is doing so much for Branden Dawson’s draft stock.

I really like GR3 and think he was really underappreciated by many of our fans, but the bottom line is that he’s 6-6, a decent but not great shooter, and he can’t really create on his own. He might have scored more points in another system, but the weaknesses in his game would still be there.

His biggest mistake was probably coming back for his sophomore year.

In retrospect, his biggest mistake, from an indivdual standpoint, was going to UM in th e first place. Most perimeter players simply aren't going to flourish unless they have above average shooting. He would have been a much better fit at a school that plays pressure defense and is heavy in transition.

Yes, because playing in that type of a system (relative to Michigan, at least) is doing so much for Branden Dawson’s draft stock.

I really like GR3 and think he was really underappreciated by many of our fans, but the bottom line is that he’s 6-6, a decent but not great shooter, and he can’t really create on his own. He might have scored more points in another system, but the weaknesses in his game would still be there.

His biggest mistake was probably coming back for his sophomore year.

I do think he might have been drafted higher after his freshman year, but I also think the improvements he made his sophomore year are a bit underrated. His problem was just that people had already heaped so much hype on him that he was never really going to live up to the idea of being a lottery pick his sophomore year IMO.

Man... His biggest mistake was going to Michigan where he went to a Final Four an Elite Eight and won the Big Ten?

I don’t think Glenn had any problem showcasing his ability… his problem is that he still can’t shoot well enough or handle well enough to be a 6-6 wing in the NBA.

Also the four position is a wing position in this offense… I don’t understand the sitting in the corner talk. If you can create in this offense, you get the chances. For Glenn, that meant a bunch of pin downs and elbow jumpers or drifting along the baseline and finishing, but that was what fit his skillset and he did both very well last year.

Disappointed to see him get cut, but he’ll bounce back and end up somewhere else.

I don’t care about team accomplishments, we are engaging in dialogue releative to his biggest mistake. So, in that context, team accomplishments don’t mean much in my view. I think he could’ve been a much better fit with another school that forced TOs and allowed him to get out in transition.

Man... His biggest mistake was going to Michigan where he went to a Final Four an Elite Eight and won the Big Ten?

I don’t care about team accomplishments, we are engaging in dialogue releative to his biggest mistake. So, in that context, team accomplishments don’t mean much in my view. I think he could’ve been a much better fit with another school that forced TOs and allowed him to get out in transition.

I don’t disagree that he might have been a better “fit” in a system where he could run and dunk more, but would he really have been better off? I’d argue that while he still isn’t the most skilled player, he developed his skills better at UM than he would have elsewhere, out of necessity due to playing in JB’s system. If he’d gone somewhere else as you suggested, he might be viewed as a more explosive player but likely not as dynamic.

I don’t disagree that he might have been a better “fit” in a system where he could run and dunk more, but would he really have been better off? I’d argue that while he still isn’t the most skilled player, he developed his skills better at UM than he would have elsewhere, out of necessity due to playing in JB’s system. If he’d gone somewhere else as you suggested, he might be viewed as a more explosive player but likely not as dynamic.

Disagree…did anyone ever consider GR3 AS ‘dynamic’ while at UM? I agree with Dylan, GR3 certainly improved while at UM…but I think he could’ve been utlized better even in half court sets…I remember JB putting him in the pinch post against Arizona last year and he was quite effective in that role…but can’t remember seeing him used that way much more after that. He’s simply not a guy that can handle, with only a decent jumpshot…just not a good fit for his purposes.

I don’t see how going to another school would have made him not get cut?
Would he have learned to shoot the ball better at another school?

He came to Michigan and had the opportunity to be a potential lottery pick.
He just chose to stay in school 1 more year. Left at the wrong time (IMO), and his game’s weaknesses have shown in the ultra competitive NBA.

So did you catch that? Michigan = lottery pick

I don't see how going to another school would have made him not get cut? Would he have learned to shoot the ball better at another school?

He just chose to stay in school 1 more year. Left at the wrong time (IMO), and his game’s weaknesses have shown in the ultra competitive NBA.

You basically made my point for me by saying that he probably wouldn’t have learned to shoot the ball better at another school…point is that wing players are required to shoot the ball from 3 at UM. Other schools don’t have that approach, and therefore his skillset could’ve been better utilized.

I thought teams like Purdue weren’t even interested. What were his other options as far as big time schools?

I don't see how going to another school would have made him not get cut? Would he have learned to shoot the ball better at another school?

You basically made my point for me by saying that he probably wouldn’t have learned to shoot the ball better at another school…point is that wing players are required to shoot the ball from 3 at UM. Other schools don’t have that approach, and therefore his skillset could’ve been better utilized.

Are you just saying that he would have had a better college career (individually) if he went elsewhere? If so, that’s certainly possible.

Or are you saying that he would have been a better pro prospect/wouldn’t have been waived if he went elsewhere? Because that is almost certainly not the case.

He’s 6’6" and a great athlete. Scoring a lot of fast break dunks in college is not going to make you a first round pick and lead to a long NBA career. At his height, he needs to be able to shoot effectively or become a creator. At this point in his development, it is much easier to become a good shooter. So if he went somewhere and didn’t have to focus on his shooting, how does that improve his pro prospects?

I thought teams like Purdue weren't even interested. What were his other options as far as big time schools?

At the time he committed, he didn’t have any big time offers, but he committed so early (before his junior season of basketball started) that he didn’t really have time for the big time schools to notice. No doubt he would’ve received more interest if he waited a year. To put it in perspective, Mitch had no big offers during his junior year either. I suspect we will see the same thing happen with Damien Jefferson

Damien Johnson lacks offers for the same reason Mitch did at that time. Mitch wanted to commit to Purdue early and they wouldn’t take him because of his grades.

Glenn just didn’t have many offers because not many high-majors were high on him at the time compared to a lot of 2012 recruits who were frankly disappointing – especially in the state of Indiana.

Are you just saying that he would have had a better college career (individually) if he went elsewhere? If so, that’s certainly possible.

Or are you saying that he would have been a better pro prospect/wouldn’t have been waived if he went elsewhere? Because that is almost certainly not the case.

He’s 6’6" and a great athlete. Scoring a lot of fast break dunks in college is not going to make you a first round pick and lead to a long NBA career. At his height, he needs to be able to shoot effectively or become a creator. At this point in his development, it is much easier to become a good shooter. So if he went somewhere and didn’t have to focus on his shooting, how does that improve his pro prospects?

You pretty much summed up my point better than I did…lol. Would’ve been better in college, and perhaps in the pros because he could’ve possibly been drafted higher after his second year, but not necessarily.

Disagree that you can’t have a long career in the NBA without being a good shooter or ballhandler at 6’6 and under. Russell Westbrook is a horrible shooter from deep and he doesn’t have a great handle, but he’s the best player in the NBA. Jordan Clarkson (another second round pick) is having a really good rookie year and will have a lengthly NBA career without being a good shotter and only average ballhandler. John Wall is a horrible shooter from 3. Jimmy Butler wasn’t a good shooter or ballhandler until this year and was still decent in prior years.

Conversely, Trey Burke was a good shooter in college…and he’s not a very good pro player, and I anticipated as much when he came out of college. In the NBA, athleticism rules for the most part unless you are a PG, and even then its such a big factor.