Game 31: Michigan at Michigan State Open Thread

I agree, but I thought he ate Simpson alive for the decisive stretch of the game in the 2nd half without many whistles.

You mean as far as editorial standing? Sorry; had a few beers with the conjunction “And”. I’m a believer in serial commas. Also, it’s the style I implement at my job.

Haha, sorry. I mean the forum app requires 10 characters. Can’t just say ‘epic’.

Do we really need Simpson taking 28 shots in two games vs State?

Including 2-11 from three.

2 Likes

Enough about Winston though. It’s not clear to me that Iggy wasn’t the best player in this game.

Iggy: 20 points on 7-12 shooting in 22 minutes. Got to the line 4 times.

Wintson: 23 on 7-17 shooting in 31 minutes. Got to the line 9 times.

3 Likes

If he leads the team in shots it’s a recipe for disaster in my opinion. I’d be curious to see if the stats back that up…but that’s just a gut feeling

Agreed. MSU dictated who would shoot for M. Full marks for that.

Iggy played like a grown man today despite some absolutely brutal calls against him. Next year they won’t call those on him.

Well the 7 assists to 0 impacted the game too. Imagine if Winston had 3 future NBA wings to pass to

Heh. Just boosting myself up out loud. As a fan, I haven’t been “let down” this much in a while, and was airing out. Off the soapbox. Taking the train Thursday to Chicago with nothing but hope and gratitude for a good season.

4 Likes

Kenny Goins had 16 rebounds and 3 triples.

Michigan’s team had 18 rebounds total.

1 Like

Sure. Winston’s friggin great. No doubt about it. But he needed 11 more minutes and five more FTs. There’s a solid argument that Iggy was the best player on the court. He really grew over the course of conference play. MSU wouldn’t have won if he were allowed to compete like Winston was.

1 Like

7 assists but 5 turnovers - not really great. 7 for 17 from the floor, 1 of 6 from three. 8 of 9 from the line, though. Z with no FTs, though he drove about as often.

I would bet they do. Sagging off X is a viable strategy. His rim game was horrific today. His sub-par shooting negates his elite quickness.

1 Like

Even with that early build, there were some warning signs. MSU’s threes were falling, a few late switches. A real tough loss all around.

Izzo said they wouldn’t have a banner ready for the game if they won. They had a banner ready. Dang.

It was a good stream of consciousness/haiku-like post. Good stuff.

Ha! Smoked the 5-7-5, but I’ll take it.

Agreed. The obvious but perhaps lazy analysis is that Winston played great. But the numbers show it - Iggy was the man tonight but could only play for half the game because of, um, “foul trouble”.

1 Like

OK, haiku time:

This was a bummer
But we’re 26-5
Things could be much worse

3 Likes