Game 26: Michigan at Rutgers Recap

Was at the game last night Young is a hell of a defender but his game on the other end of the court is simply not good.

2 Likes

Gotta imagine his great free throw shooting and horrible 3 point shooting is a big part of that

1 Like

I would think that minutes as a freshman despite some inefficiencies is another one. A sign that a player is trusted and playing through some growing pains.

That was as impressive as X gets. Young absolutely hounded him throughout the game, and Xā€™s poise really shined through.

Different guys stepping up and making plays during the second half was beautiful to watch.

RU couldnā€™t shoot, but I loved our defence, especially the rim protection. This level of defensive connection is something I didnā€™t expect to see this season. The one possession that stands out to me came in the first half, when RU ran a slick half court set out of a timeout. There was plenty of screening, cutting, and movement designed to get an open 3, and everyone stayed connected and simply shut off the set. RU settled for a long, contested 3. Take away the few banked prayers that RU hit, and they donā€™t make it to 50 points.

7 Likes

That was the loudest arena Iā€™ve ever heard for a college game. Props to their fans. Iā€™d like to hear crisler like that someday

4 Likes

Iā€™m with you! The defensive effort by our guys was outstanding. I was particularly impressed with the defense, especially in the second half, against Geo. DDJ was all over the kid when he was out there. Very impressive. And the defense at the rim was outstanding, too.

As for X, he is a flat out winner. As I said elsewhere, this is his team. He is a terrific leader and he does it in so many ways. Last Sunday he was an absolute maestro. He just orchestrated that offense with his ball handling and great passing, his craftiness, his ability to get to wherever he wanted to go. He was a master of the floor. Last night, at times he just put the team on his back. Against relentless pressure by Young the ball was an extension of himself. Again some outstanding passes, but the shooting. Two threes in the first half, and that incredible hook shot. The young man is a winner!

1000 points, 500+ assists, most wins in a season by a player in Michigan history, and a great on ball defender, plus the leadership qualities! Iā€™m sure glad he came to Michigan!

10 Likes

Yeah, I guess I didnā€™t notice him much on offense. Because I was tired and Iā€™m more easily confused as I get older, I accidentally watched most of the MSG game (from my fubo cloud DVR) before I watched the actual game that was on last night. I think Young had like three steals for easy layups against us. I just didnā€™t notice how bad he is on offense in the half-court.

Youā€™re right the RAC is a pretty special place! Very loud! But itā€™s a smaller arena and the sound just resonates and is contained in a smaller space.

I was at Crisler for the Illinois game, sadly a loss, but when Isaiah was announced in the starting lineup the noise level, the cheer of the crowd was amazing, and then when he hit that three the sound was the loudest I think Iā€™ve ever heard it in Crisler.

Crisler isnā€™t the RAC but we CAN be pretty loud when we WANT to be. We CAN be raucous when we WANT to be. Yes, there are quite a few little old gray hairs like me at Crisler, and, sadly, sometimes too many empty seats, but I will say this, we CAN be loud, too. Just ask anyone sitting around me that day! Oh my! :wink:

1 Like

I thought Young hurt them down the stretch offensively. Took some shots he probably shouldnā€™t have taken. Glad he did! :wink:

4 Likes

It was very very loud and a great environment

I thought he got a bit emotionally drunk. Credit to X for helping Young down that path.

9 Likes

THIS! I mean X basically teased Young into fouling him just inside halfcourt after having a little interaction with the ref. For all the poise X has, itā€™s amazing how much he can get under the skin of some opponents!

3 Likes

I thought that foul was a bit of a coin flip, if we are talking when Z was about to go between his legs and they called the foul on Young?

Yeah thatā€™s the play, and it wasnā€™t an egregious reach in, but Young had just gotten away with a reach a few seconds earlier when X first got the ball, and he let the ref know about it. I guess my point was that he put Young in another position to reach -unnecessarily - still 30+ feet from the basketā€¦and it was all about their 1-on1 battle that put them there. Not smart b-ball from Young

2 Likes

If I were the Rutgers student section, I would just countdown from 5 every time Baker touches the ball. Just give him the beat the clock feeling because it sure seems like he hits end of shot clock/game shots more than most!

7 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Isaiah Livers is a game-time type of decision at Rutgers

Speaking of the Walton/Simpson comparison, Iā€™m getting a real 2017 vibe from this team in general. Hot start followed by midseason slump (bottoming out with a close home loss to OSU) followed by a big win over Sparty to launch a strong finishā€¦

2 Likes