Four-star guard Kobe Bufkin picks Michigan

2 Likes

Good get Juwan

1 Like

The edits…

3 Likes

Its still great to be a Michigan Wolverine! HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY YAHOOOOO!

2 Likes

Added a compilation of clips from his high school season to the commit post. Always provides a different context for a player’s game than grassroots.

6 Likes

Random question that I just got in a text: Provided everyone stays for his class, how many lefties will be on the team?

Bufkin seems a little underrated to me. Surprising that a 6’4" guy with a track record as a 3-level scorer wouldn’t be rated a bit higher.

2 Likes

As excited as we were last cycle regarding the McDonalds All Americans Juwan was chasing, your sentence at the end says it best: “this is what wins in the Big Ten.” These players all have great ceilings and are still rising up the rankings, and if you can develop and retain them for even 2 or 3 years, then you start seeing the makings of a perennially successful program.

4 Likes

You also need this foundation to really capitalize on landing the five-star types as well.

13 Likes

I love seeing Gus Macker trophies in that video. It takes me back…

8 Likes

Not to be picky but in the video intro you said he played for GR Catholic. I pretty sure you meant GR Christian.

Exactly. Very few if any one and dones want to be a one man band, and as you noted with Barnes these are the type of recruits that high level talent is attracted to without being scared of.

4 Likes

Thanks for these clips. He reminds me of combination of Jimmy King and Jordan Poole.

1 Like

Did not know he was young for his grade too, he’s only going be 17 as a frosh. Big time plus for a kid like him, especially one with his body type.

11 Likes

what a shot here… gotta love this program and even if it doesn’t matter that much, it feels good to bring on an in-state kid who clearly has got some blue in his blood. S/o to Juwan and Saddi for getting it done.

17 Likes

Some quotes from his HS coach

Seems to me that Coach Howard is getting himself well positioned for positionless basketball. As was mentioned Kobe might be under-vallued. Again shades of Beilein getting the birthdays right. Always great to get in-state guys.

3 Likes

From MGoblog/MattD:

Kobe is working on getting Jaden Akins in the mix. Hopefully him being in the mix helps with the cause.

Also said his best position to guard may be SF

5 Likes

Akins surely isn’t turning down MSU if he’s enrolling at Bates’s new prep school

1 Like

Not the only person I’ve seen see this, but within the context of Michigan’s class right now… I’d definitely lean toward the 2. He’s much more of a playmaker than Isaiah Barnes, IMO.

Guys like Cleveland, Ingram seem to project much more as threes within the scope of U-M’s recruiting too.

4 Likes