Four-star guard Kobe Bufkin picks Michigan

I hope he wears 4.

1 Like

Which is why I think we need a point and another 2g in addition to a big.

1 Like

A PG/combo (Warley, Brizzi, Whitt) definitely. I donā€™t think thereā€™s a problem if you get a bigger more athletic guy like Ingram or Cleveland who might project to the three though.

2 Likes

I thought this was excellent analysis. Really put things in perspective for me in a way I hadnā€™t looked at the situation.

This is the foundation of the next wave of Howardā€™s program.

Juwan Howard and his staff have accumulated a solid group of multi-year players who have the potential to be Big Ten contributors.

13 Likes

Exactly! Now lets get the 5-stars on top!! Go Blue

2 Likes

Cleveland and Warley would be great :wink:

3 Likes

I was surprised to see Brian Snow mention that Bufkins would primarily play the 2 but could slide to the 1. What are your thoughts on that @umhoops?

Not that all coaches donā€™t look for versatile players and Beileins had his share too (especially with the unlikely PFs heā€™s used)ā€¦but I like that Bufkin is probably a 2 but could slide to the 1 or 3 depending on who else is on the roster. Barnes is probably a 3 that could maybe play as a big 2 or undersized 4. Tschetter is a 4 who could play some at 5. Zeb is a combo guard. Williams is a 4 but should be able to play some 3.

Build that versatile foundation and then you can go get a top-50 guy at any position and they fit with everyone. We need a true lead guard and an athletic center, anything else is icing on the cake.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s kind of how I described it in my story. Heā€™s a guy I see playing the two early hit a best case development scenario would be growing into a point guard.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t been able to follow all the comments on Bufkin prior to the commitment but one thing that really stood out to me on some of the film I watched was how well he jumps the passing lane. It might seem minor but guys that do that seem to have a great feel and anticipation for the game. Iā€™m really excited for this pick up, feels like a lot of upside to his game.

4 Likes

Jumping passing lanes isnā€™t a bad thing but especially in high school settings it usually just means a prospect is just much more talented than everyone else on the court.

5 Likes
3 Likes

He looks very talented. Loved his announcement video!

Sure, I didnā€™t mean to imply it was something difficult, but thereā€™s plenty of guys you donā€™t see do it often or at all. I just think it shows a kid whoā€™s both engaged defensively and shows awareness and a generally high basketball IQ. I didnā€™t mean to imply heā€™ll do that 2 or 3 times a game in college.

1 Like