Former Michigan Players NOT in NBA

The Suns definitely seemed like the “long 2s” team with CP3/KD/Booker. Maybe Beal helps that but I’m not familiar enough with his game. They could use someone who can just aggressively get to the basket.

I’m reminded of some of the Isiah Knicks teams. Getting name talent together but not having much of a fit. Isiah drafted well in both Toronto and NY, but didn’t really have fit figured out. Maybe because in his playing days he had a coach (and players on the court, including himself) who knew how to make players fit into a culture? In NY, he was acquiring guys who were Aguirre-types, in terms of talent (Marbury, Steve Francis, Jalen) but didn’t have a leader to help them mesh.

2 Likes

I have a feeling Ishbia’s ownership is not going to work out for the best. He’s probably going to keep going for broke and just end up tying down the franchise with albatross contracts.

Thought Pelton was probably too harsh in his grade for the Suns of the trade considering Ayton is still out there to be moved and it’s hard to say this is a bad move in a vacuum?

BUT I did like his point that this team is wildly thin and relies on guys who aren’t exactly iron men to get them through the regular season in the top 6 seems like a tough ask. It can get ugly really quick trying to bail water w a ton of replacement level minutes.

4 Likes

They’re at $160 million with FOUR guys!

The best they can hope to get is whatever the modern day of 34 year old ring hunting Patty Mills is

Like, ok vets who could make $7 mil soMewhere willing to play for the minimum to hitch their wagon to Durant

I’m sure they trade Ayton for something but I’m not sure how much they get

The other quiet thing is that Beal hasn’t they good of late - last three years, 57% TS (about average) at 30% usage

That’s certainly not bad at that usage especially but seems to be the definition of floor raising (creating lots of average offense for a limited team)

1 Like

Word is no one wants ayton at his contract, I think phoenix is best off rolling with him and the minimum guys. This morning i was thinking and theres a good chance all the glamour market teams out west(both la teams, phoenix and golden state) are all disasters in 1-2 years. Teams are crazy expensive with a bunch of expensive injury riddled old vets and most of the draft capital has been traded away. Not much ammo to get new stars in trades and the new rules are going make it difficult to sign stars away in free agency.

1 Like

Not sure where to put this but Isaiah Todd was included in the trade.

2 Likes

Ayton really might be a top tier head case in the league which, yeah, might be a problem for Phoenix and perhaps means that you can just go ahead and judge the Beal deal now. But if he plays capably in the regular season I think that contract is merely annoying instead of truly bad. Most teams aren’t where the Suns are and don’t need to worry about him ruining a game 7. He can go to the Bulls and the Suns can have Vuc in a sign and trade.

GSW I think is probably fine unless they end up doing something crazy w Klay. They’re almost certainly going to send out their pick next year to Memphis, but after that they have all their own picks plus Poole, Moody, and Kuminga. Poole probably mostly valuable as matching salary unless he figures himself out, but that’s not nothing. They might drop off a cliff w their wins bc Steph gets hurt, but unless they bungle those assets plus Wiggins & Looney, don’t think they’re going to be stuck in the middle like, say, the Bulls.

1 Like

Idk gsw is going be a tapped out second apron team and klay and draymond are aging fast. That could be a bad team that’s stuck pretty quickly.

right, hence:

Klay’s contract ends after this year. He should not be paid near as much after that. What they’ll do with Draymond we shall see but assuming they don’t pay Klay a crazy amount they’ll have some flexibility and assets

1 Like

Is Poole actually their potential issue here? I don’t know what the second apron actually looks like rn but if they’re already over if they bring back Klay on any kind of real money, they’re going to have to pay to get out of Poole. And since they’d have the pick frozen and then be looking at a subsequent frozen pick, seems like they’d have to pay one to get out of Poole?

1 Like

Feel like the convo isn’t about Michigan alums out of the nba

6 Likes

Phoenix should’ve let him go to Indiana but I think they were forced to match because they didn’t want to let him walk without nothing in return.

1 Like

Indiana has a better center (as I said last summer - I may have as many Ayton receipts as Killian receipts)

And I think they are quite happy with what happened

3 Likes

Klay and draymond deals will probably be reduced deals but I bet both will still be 25mil+ and that’s going limit how they can maneuver a ton, especially given their cap issues and the new cba. Wiggins and Poole have negative value to their contracts too.

So long as no Michigan players wind up as Suns, I’m fine with that outcome.

9 Likes

Tres bien…

Si bon

personnages

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuCKMIAo0QI/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Muhammad averaged 14 ppg in Italy last year. Signed with Dacka in Istanbul for next year.

5 Likes