Former Michigan Players in the NCAA

2 Likes

Brandon Johns had 13 points in 26 minutes
Zeb Jackson had 6 points in 22 minutes

(VCU)

Dejulius had 24 points, 3 assists

8 Likes

Cole Bajema had 9 points in 30 (!!) minutes.

5 Likes

Castleton had 13 points, 5 boards, and 3 assists.

Does this all transfer team of former Michigan players finish ahead of a couple B10 teams??

Frankie
DDJ
Bajema/Zeb
Johns
Castleton

5 Likes

Yes, I think that team might finish ahead of Nebraska, NW and Minnesota. It would be small in the backcourt and you’d have two guys who want the ball in their hands all the time, but Castleton has turned into a really good player so he would probably carry them to a place somewhere above the cellar. Definitely not a tournament team though

2 Likes

Had they stayed,
DJJ could’ve started on this team.
Frankie is very unlikely to get his 24 shots.
Bajema could’ve taken Joey’s place.
Johns would’ve got his 12-15 minutes.
Castleton could’ve possibly started at 4.

not a chance

8 Likes

Where would DeJulius and his 46% true shooting be starting (and have it be a good thing?)
It’s extremely hard to argue Castleton’s decision was a poor one.
I’m not sure what 12 minutes of Johns would get us.

6 Likes

This is a fun idea for a thread. Really hoping BJJ pulls off A10 All-second team or something like that.

5 Likes

@umhoops
Which potential matchup is more intriguing next week in Brooklyn? VCU or Arizona State.

Seeing Frankie put up 24 shots is wild!

2 Likes

Didn’t watch either game, just watched Frankie’s 24 shots (his shot actually does look better but Tarleton just wasn’t guarding him). I feel like VCU would be more dangerous but don’t really have much to base that on. They are similar KP ranks.

U-M needs to go 2-0 next week IMO.

5 Likes

One player we forgot for this thread, which would DEFINITELY make the ex-UM team rank ahead of several B10 schools is Jalen Wilson! I know he never suited up for Michigan, but he did sign with us before Beilein left. In their opener he had 19/11/7.

So your line up would be:
1 - Frankie (sort of a PG)
2 - DDJ (not ever really a PG other than in stature)
3 - Wilson (star of this team)
4 - Johns
5 - Castleton
6 - Zeb (backs up both guards)
7 - Bajema (backs up both forwards)

That’s actually an interesting, if inefficient, roster.

4 Likes

Frankie only took 4 shots and zero 3PA last night. 8 assists. What a different game than the previous one when he had 24 FGA and 11 3PA

4 Likes

All about how you are guarded (or not) as a PG!

1 Like

That’s the type of game that would actually make him an effective PG (other than his 4 TOs I guess).

Frankie Collins has a 30% USG after 3 games

2 Likes

His shooting numbers are a lot better than I would have expected (8-9 from the stripe last game!) But we’ll see if that lasts over an extended sample size. Going to be fun to play against former teammates either way Thursday night but I think Frankie and ASU would be the far more entertaining matchup.

2 Likes

And I would say functional given what we just saw against EMU. Despite Frankie’s flaws it would be a good challenge to see if we can keep him in front of us.

1 Like

Not to mention that you KNOW he’s going to try the Emoni usage against us to show out against the team he thinks recruited over him. He will be in full-on attack mode…whatever that looks like.

Personally I was never as down on him as Dylan is or as high on him as the MGoBlog crew was. I felt like he was a typical young PG trying to find his way. I don’t think his way should be 30% usage and Michigan would never have given him that…but he’s off to a solid start all things considered.

2 Likes