Former Michigan Players NOT in NBA

Zach Irvin

7 Likes

Wow! Looks and plays like a different dude.

1 Like

Dang he looks smooth in those highlights. Looks like an improved ball handler and the jump shot isn’t as funky as it was.

I bet that bad back was worse than we all knew. He looks quicker and bouncier than he ever was at UM.

2 Likes

Maybe tends to show that a decision to devote yourself to basketball can pay pretty big dividends, whether you become a longtime NBA player or not. Zak looks great.

1 Like

So, out of curiosity I looked up Irvin’s stats the last two years in the G-league - in 1341 minutes played, he took only 17 3’s. That said, his shooting percentage was .563. I know G-league stats are inflated because of defensive inefficiency, but it’s like he finally realized what we were saying when he was here - get to the rim, take that little mid range if it’s open, and don’t rely on the 3.

And definitely looks a little bouncier in those highlights, but I do think the back injury hampered him at UM. But from what I remember, he was always a decent finisher around the rim.

1 Like

Good for Zak, chasing his dream.

The thing I noticed is the transformation in body type. Stronger, thicker…he gave the one fella a forearm and he flew through the lane. To play in the NBA you have to be physically prepared, Kids struggle to play against men…it just takes time.

Zak definitely looks quicker and the biggest thing is that is handles are much better. Good for him!

Sort of like what was discussed in other threads and what Dylan and BQ discussed in their last pod - there is sometimes (often?) a conflict between what best showcases a player and what their college team needs them to do. Irvin’s overall efficiency may have been better as a more judicious three-point shooter, but he played in a system that demanded that he shoot them.

Similar to Nick Ward showing up at the combine last year and taking tons of 18-foot jumpers - just because a guy can do something doesn’t mean it’s what his college coach wants.

1 Like

Zak Irvin not shooting threes is crazy. I would love to know what led to that for his G-League team. That was basically all he did when he showed up in Ann Arbor.

3 Likes

Was thinking the same thing. He came out of high school Just a Shooter, and a good one at that. Then his form slowly collapsed, but you still felt like he’d have to gain that back to be successful at the nest level. Absolutely wild that he doesn’t shoot 3s now.

1 Like

I looked up Irvin’s G-League stats. In 974 minutes played in the 2018-19 season, he attempted TEN threes. He made ONE. This boggles my mind.

FOR COMPARISON: As a freshman in 2013-14, Irvin played 586 minutes and took 146 threes.

1 Like

Amar’e Stoudemir in 3rd right now. There’s a blast from the past.

3 Likes

I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty surprised.

1 Like
7 Likes

J Mo looks great. Didnt even recognize him