First Look: Setting the stage for Michigan at Michigan State

4 Likes

this feels like a game we will get bullied in and will have to find some one other than X to make plays. last year it was occasionally iggy, i dont know who that cat will be this year

i would predict this as a game thats never a blow out but MSU up by at least 6 the whole way

2 Likes

I’m not anticipating a victory but am going to be fascinated by who on U-M will play tough, composed, and smart in a very tough road environment, especially the underclassmen, especially assuming Livers will be MIA.

4 Likes

When you play a team that has an elite guard like Winston I almost feel like you just live with what he gets (especially with one of the top defenders at the position on your team) and try and limit the damage done by the other guys. Feels like a game where Tillman, Brown, Henry may determine the outcome. Hold those guys in check and we have a chance. We’ll find out a lot about our physical and mental toughness this Sunday.

3 Likes

I’m looking for a game where an unexpected player steps up and plays at level we haven’t seen before. Could this be the game where Johns puts in work? Maybe DDJ catches fire from 3 off the bench? Wagner finds his stroke which causes them to guard him on the perimeter only for him to take it to the rock? Looking forward to this one

1 Like

Nunez goes for 27 on 9-for-9 three-point shooting! Sorry; took your hypotheticals down a rainbow-and-unicorns path…

4 Likes

The statistic about the State PNR offense is really interesting. Players receiving the pass are scoring 0.95 vs 1.05 last year. Over 15 possessions a game that is only a point or two.

I get that it feels worse as shots clang off the rim, but this offense is really close to playing just as well as last year. And that’s with young guys who don’t know what they are doing. This offense’s potential is scary.

Fortunately, State’s defense appears to be much, much worse this year, and that’s not likely to be fixed as easily.

1 Like

agree w/ you 100%. w/o Livers, this is very much like the Citrus Bowl - playing tough, confident and well for much of the game would be good enough for me.

1 Like

DB, one would think Michigan plays drop coverage this year as opposed to hedging a big on Winston in the ballscreen. However, Winston is a good mid-range shooter. What is your take on how Michigan can contain Winston this year compared to last?

Discussed that in the post! Winston can make those shots but they are probably still the best shots you can allow, right?

2 Likes

My bad, dude. I got ahead of myself and didn’t finish the article.

I wonder what wrinkles Winston will have one way or the other against the defense. He is very deft and often makes the winning play.

How is MSU’s transition O this year? Last season you showed footage of their Hit Ahead sets on fastbreaks.

Whether Izzo chooses to help off of players like Franz, Johns, and Dave will be interesting. As Dylan says in the article, with no Livers, the option for MSU to help off of spotted up players will be there on Sunday. I would choose to stay home on everyone except Johns, force X to try and beat me by scoring a lot himself, and take away home runs on the perimeter. I’ll feel best about our chances if Izzo does help off of Franz and Dave, because I believe those guys will knock down open looks.

IMO, Michigan isn’t quite ready for this game. Need Livers back and a bit more seasoning / development before we’re ready to go in and beat MSU on their home floor. If Michigan pulls this off, it’ll be a great sign for the season (and will give a memorable moment that keeps everyone happy as Dylan has brought up repeatedly). Looking for Michigan to stay decently competitive, X to play well and the young forwards to keep improving.

3 Likes

Yeah I mean it’s probably 60/40 win/lose with Livers. Which is generous according to KenPom and Torvik. Without him It’s gotta be 80/20.

Big Sleep revealing secrets!

1 Like

Right after Juwan called him day to day. :sweat_smile:

“Both teams were finished products by the time they met. They knew exactly who they were and what they wanted to do.”

As I recall, Nick Ward was injured in mid-February which turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Izzo as it related to the matchups with Michigan. He found Tillman could guard Simpson. I’m not so sure that revelation would happen with a healthy Ward.

2 Likes

Correct. Ward’s injury pigeonholed MSU into playing that way.

1 Like

Anyone know who’s doing the pbp and color for CBS on Sunday?

1 Like

Ian Eagle and Bill Raftery.

4 Likes