EYBL Review Article

Jalen Brunson and Austin Grandstaff mentioned. It will be interesting to see what happens with Brunson if One of the 2016 PGs take an offer on June 15

http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/380149?referrer_id=1204230

I imagine Brunson’s offer comes off the table in that case. Even if we don’t pull the offer I’d be willing to bet he loses any and all interest he has in us. That would be two guys ahead of him and one behind him with no real shot at being a 1 and done. His offer sheet will be far too impressive for him to even consider taking a chance on a team with a logjam at his position.

I imagine Brunson's offer comes off the table in that case. Even if we don't pull the offer I'd be willing to bet he loses any and all interest he has in us. That would be two guys ahead of him and one behind him with no real shot at being a 1 and done. His offer sheet will be far too impressive for him to even consider taking a chance on a team with a logjam at his position.

I’d assume if Brunson were to come to UM, he’d instantly jump Spike, and would be able to play back-up to Walton, but also off-ball in tandem with Walton every now and then. We’ve used 2 PG lineups before, and the past 2 Nat. Champ. winners have used a 2 PG backcourt primarily. Could probably get 20-25 min a game as a freshman.

Brunson isn’t coming here.

To clarify why I think Brunson is a long-shot

Here are the facts

1. Brunson has stated early playing time is key

2. Rick Brunson is an East Coast legend and buds w/ KU assistant Jerrance Howard

3. UM last reported visit w/ Brunson was in February. Groce, Izzo, Jay Wright, Self/Howard have visited MULTIPLE times since then. Kevin Ollie has thrown his hat in, too.

4. Groce, Izzo, Self/Howard, Jay Wright watched Brunson MULTIPLE times at EYBL this weekend. UM did not reportedly watch ONCE.

5. After EYBL, MSU has offered PG Jarvis Johnson and Illinois has offered Justin Robinson along with an insider saying they are in 5th place.

6. Like Kennard and Booker, Brunson has had a UM offer for a long time now.

7. East coast schools: Villanova and UCONN. Teams w/ no starting PG or a Sr in 2015 : VILL, UCONN,KU,ILL and MSU depends on Nairn’s development. UM will have a Jr Walton.

To clarify why I think Brunson is a long-shot

Here are the facts

1. Brunson has stated early playing time is key

2. Rick Brunson is an East Coast legend and buds w/ KU assistant Jerrance Howard

3. UM last reported visit w/ Brunson was in February. Groce, Izzo, Jay Wright, Self/Howard have visited MULTIPLE times since then. Kevin Ollie has thrown his hat in, too.

4. Groce, Izzo, Self/Howard, Jay Wright watched Brunson MULTIPLE times at EYBL this weekend. UM did not reportedly watch ONCE.

5. After EYBL, MSU has offered PG Jarvis Johnson and Illinois has offered Justin Robinson along with an insider saying they are in 5th place.

6. Like Kennard and Booker, Brunson has had a UM offer for a long time now.

7. East coast schools: Villanova and UCONN. Teams w/ no starting PG or a Sr in 2015 : VILL, UCONN,KU,ILL and MSU depends on Nairn’s development. UM will have a Jr Walton.

Based off of that, it appears that we are putting all of our eggs for a PG in the 2016 basket then. Thorton Jr. and Murray being our top targets, I assume. I don’t think we need a PG in the 2015 class anyways, but Brunson is such a talent, you’d never say no if he wanted to come.

Maybe Brunson won’t come to UM, but your facts don’t seem quite on point.

Re:1+7. You misrepresent how crowded UM’s PG situation will be in comparison to others. KU signed two four-star PGs in '13. Ryan Arcidiacono will be a senior for 'Nova in '15 unless he goes pro after next year. UConn signed Sam Cassell Jr, a combo guard, in '14. Illinois signed Jaylen Tate in '13. MSU signed Nairn for '14. Meanwhile, UM’s last two PGs left after two years and Walton could have a big year next year.

Re: 5. The fact that MSU and Ill offered other PGs suggests they are not confident in their chances.

Re:3-4: As of February, here’s what Brunson’s father had to say: “We don’t have any list of who is on top right now,” said Rick Brunson. “Michigan is doing a great job, but so is (Villanova coach) Jay Wright and (Michigan State coach) Tom Izzo. There is no one in the lead. We are gonna finish out this summer, Jalen will take his visits and then decide, that’s our plan.”

http://www.highschoolcubenews.com/news_article/show/349592#sthash.DZCghvIr.Twd1LPfk.dpuf

I guess February seems like a long time ago, but even if Michigan didn’t watch Brunson over one particular weekend, I wouldn’t make too much out of it.

I also wonder if recruits will be a little wary of the Big East now because they’re on FoxSports and not ESPN now. UConn is still in the AAC. I’ve always thought KU is a likely destination, but they haven’t had much success or place much emphasis on PGs.

Anyway, he very well may not come here, but your certainty far outweighs your evidence.

Maybe Brunson won't come to UM, but your facts don't seem quite on point.

Re:1+7. You misrepresent how crowded UM’s PG situation will be in comparison to others. KU signed two four-star PGs in '13. Ryan Arcidiacono will be a senior for 'Nova in '15 unless he goes pro after next year. UConn signed Sam Cassell Jr, a combo guard, in '14. Illinois signed Jaylen Tate in '13. MSU signed Nairn for '14. Meanwhile, UM’s last two PGs left after two years and Walton could have a big year next year.

Re: 5. The fact that MSU and Ill offered other PGs suggests they are not confident in their chances.

Re:3-4: As of February, here’s what Brunson’s father had to say: “We don’t have any list of who is on top right now,” said Rick Brunson. “Michigan is doing a great job, but so is (Villanova coach) Jay Wright and (Michigan State coach) Tom Izzo. There is no one in the lead. We are gonna finish out this summer, Jalen will take his visits and then decide, that’s our plan.”

I guess February seems like a long time ago, but even if Michigan didn’t watch Brunson over one particular weekend, I wouldn’t make too much out of it.

I also wonder if recruits will be a little wary of the Big East now because they’re on FoxSports and not ESPN now. UConn is still in the AAC. I’ve always thought KU is a likely destination, but they haven’t had much success or place much emphasis on PGs.

Anyway, he very well may not come here, but your certainty far outweighs your evidence.

1. Frankamp and Mason have both been rumored to transfer and are combo-guards. KU is so confident in their PGs they are looking at Devonte Graham? Please

A Sr Arcidiacono or a Jr Walton?

Cassell is a SG as is Rodney Purvis

Jaylen Tate is a backup PG by all accounts.

Nairn has to play out and Brunson isn’t going to commit and hope Walton leaves

1. MSU and Ill insiders have expressed lack of confidence and have viewed recent offers through that prism. I will listen to them.

3.February… it is now May. And it isn’t “one particular weekend,” it’s been 2 months.

4.UCONN has a former NBA African American coach coming off a title and Rick Brunson had no issues playing for Temple.

Just an all-around horrible post

Crap like this needs to stop. No need for petty insults like this, no reason not to be civil.

Crap like this needs to stop. No need for petty insults like this, no reason not to be civil.

What is the difference between that and

“Maybe Brunson won’t come to UM, but your facts don’t seem quite on point.”

To attack someone’s intelligence is all the same.

The difference, as Dylan indicates, is civility. Expressing disagreement is not “all the same,” regardless of tone, word-choice, etc. I’ll be okay though. I do appreciate all the updates and links you post, but your style sometimes obfuscates your knowledge.

Anyway, I’m unclear as to your point about MSU and Ill – you agree that they are not likely destinations for Brunson? Why should we be concerned that Izzo and Groce are watching him?

As for Nova, I’m not sure of your question: “A Sr Arcidiacono or a Jr Walton?” Do you mean Arcidiacono is a year older? I wouldn’t count on Walton being here as a senior. And Brunson is not likely to beat out a Sr Arcidiacono for a starting job.

As for KU, if they get Graham, where does that leave their PG situation? And until those other players actually transfer – and they haven’t yet, despite this being the time for such things to happen – it’s a fairly crowded backcourt.

As for UConn, Cassell Jr., Ollie refered to him as a guard, and links refer to him as a “combo guard,” “point guard,” or “a ball-handler.” Brunson may be able to play alongside him, but he could play alongside Walton at times too.

And Ollie also has been rumored to be of interest to NBA teams.

UM has shown excellent development of PGs and coaches Beilein and Jordan are both likely to be around in '15. UM has been recruiting Brunson a long time, which sometimes, though not always, matters. And it’s still April. Brunson apparently plans to decide at the end of the summer after taking visits, so there’s plenty of time to show interest. Brunson will have many excellent choices for college and may end up picking Nova or KU or UConn or Ill. I maintain, however, that your evidence does not support your proposition, at least not nearly to the certainty you express.

The difference, as Dylan indicates, is civility. Expressing disagreement is not "all the same,"

And quoting everything I say to disagree is?

Anyway, I'm unclear as to your point about MSU and Ill -- you agree that they are not likely destinations for Brunson? Why should we be concerned that Izzo and Groce are watching him?

Because both have pursued him more heavily, more recently and offer more playing time.

As for Nova, I'm not sure of your question: "A Sr Arcidiacono or a Jr Walton?" Do you mean Arcidiacono is a year older? I wouldn't count on Walton being here as a senior. And Brunson is not likely to beat out a Sr Arcidiacono for a starting job.

Sitting 1 year behind Arcidiacono or 2 behind Walton. Once again, Brunsonis deciding in the Summer so he isn’t going to assume Walton leaves early. Also, Villanova was on the 4 guard lineup before others: Randy Foye, Scotty Reynolds, Allen Ray, Klye Lowry sound familiar?

As for KU, if they get Graham, where does that leave their PG situation? And until those other players actually transfer -- and they haven't yet, despite this being the time for such things to happen -- it's a fairly crowded backcourt.

If they take Graham sure but Self has no problem getting and recruiting over people. Ask Branden Greene and Andrew White.

As for UConn, Cassell Jr., Ollie refered to him as a guard, and links refer to him as a "combo guard," "point guard," or "a ball-handler." Brunson may be able to play alongside him, but he could play alongside Walton at times too.

Brunson is deciding this summer so NBA interest is kind of moot. You keep bringing up Cassell Jr but his role w/ UCONN is akin to MAAR. A backup who will spell Calhoun, Purvis and Boatright. He is a guy who might start his Sr year but will most likely backup 1 of the 2015 guards

ask UCONN fans yourself Who will start next year? | The Boneyard

I’d love to get Brunson and hopefully the staff is waiting to get a final impression, instead of running out of gas early, but it is not trending that way.

Guestavo, yes, there is a substantial discrepancy in civility between how you and I communicate on this board. The proprietor of the board indicated displeasure with your tone. It’s not the end of the world, but you could take this opportunity to reflect on that. It’s up to you.

Anyway, you seem determined to resolve any ambiguity against Michigan. For instance, Cassell Jr was a high major recruit (offers from MD, Pitt, etc., Rivals top 150), who had offers/interest as a Juco transfer from Louisville, Missouri, etc., whose father appears to have a connection with Ollie, who will be much older and with a year in the system under his belt – but we should just assume that he’s going there to sit on the bench.

On the other hand, we have to assume that Walton, Jr., who just shot 41% from 3 with a 2-1 A-TO ratio as a freshman, and who will be in an offense that has sent the last two PGs to the NBA after two years, will stay for his senior year. I doubt that Brunson looks at those two things that way.

As for MSU and Ill, who was the last PG Izzo sent to the NBA? Mateen? Groce has never sent anyone to the league. I’m still not sure that MSU offers up so much more time, but I would look at it as a positive that the instate school and another regional power are not very confident.

Brunson is a major talent and this staff will find playing time for him. He is not going to ride the pine for two seasons. HIs dad emphasized going to play for a coach, and the staff has shown great success working with guards, including the national player of the year, and has built longstanding and good relationships with him.

We don’t know how much contact the staff has with Brunson, and we don’t know how the recruitment is trending. And not that it means much, but 247’s crystal ball has 69% favoring Michigan, which was different from the trends we saw with Kinnard, if I recall correctly. Until and unless he commits, I certainly won’t get too excited, but being hopeful is part of the fun of following recruiting, and I still see nothing to indicate with any sense of certainty that Michigan doesn’t have a good shot.

Also, thanks in advance for your future links/updates, etc.

Cassell is a JUCO who is expected to be a backup by UCONN. Yes, we should assume that when UCONN says it.

And nothing suggest Walton is leaving early and to suggest otherwise is blatant homerism. Brunson isn’t going to go off remote possibility.

You still haven’t addressed the 2 month gap in contact? You do realize Stevenson HS students thought MSU lead as reported on Ill and MSU sites. Nothing “positive” about that situation.

JB is a great coach but not even he can fix a logjam.

And Kennard and Booker had TONS of UM picks at this exact time.

Our ramped up interest in Murray, Goodin and Thornton Jr tells me a ton.

We can get Brunson but I gave my opinion why it is a long-shot. I’m sorry you disagree.

I’m still trying to figure out where UConn says Cassell Jr is a career backup. I clicked on the link and found a few message board posters mostly saying really good things about him, with some assuming he’ll back up Boatright in '14-15 and nobody saying anything about '15-16.

And I’m really supposed to be concerned by what it says on MSU and Ill sites about Stevenson HS students? If you visit there, you’ll be sure to think MSU is getting Parker, Tyus Jones, etc. I’ll trust the quotes from Brunson’s father instead.

Like I said, I’m confident that Brunson knows he will not ride the pine at UM for two years. He still may choose to go elsewhere, of course.

Can’t spend any more time on this today, best of luck.

One argumentative know-it-all was banned and replaced with another. Fun read. Not.

I'm still trying to figure out where UConn says Cassell Jr is a career backup. I clicked on the link and found a few message board posters mostly saying really good things about him, with some assuming he'll back up Boatright in '14-15 and nobody saying anything about '15-16.

And I’m really supposed to be concerned by what it says on MSU and Ill sites about Stevenson HS students? If you visit there, you’ll be sure to think MSU is getting Parker, Tyus Jones, etc. I’ll trust the quotes from Brunson’s father instead.

Like I said, I’m confident that Brunson knows he will not ride the pine at UM for two years. He still may choose to go elsewhere, of course.

Can’t spend any more time on this today, best of luck.

Search harder.

And not likely that insiders from different schools would agree/

If you disagree in the future, its best you don’t quote me. I tend to like facts and RECENT sources, not 3 + month old quotes.

I’m all in for Thorton.

Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. We obviously take Brunson if he wants to come. Thornton is a multi-talented performer, and with our supposed mutual interest in Battle, Leaf, and Langford, 16 could be a MONSTER year. Hey no harm in dreaming big!

Man is it ever uncomfortable reading some people’s abrasive style on here. I’ll go back to lurking now.