European Super League

OK, just wanted to find a thread that wasn’t basketball related so I could talk golf and I found this one WAY down the page and it even has the word “European” in the title. Not that I’m a fan of Europe this weekend, though I have great respect for the European Ryder Cup team. their players and captain, I really want the U.S. to crush them today, extend our lead and go into tomorrow’s singles matches with a lopsided lead! I Watched most of the coverage of the Ryder Cup yesterday and am watching again today. As one who has played the game of golf for 64 years and has been a golf coach for 36 sports seasons, an assistant golf professional for 13 years, and a golf camp staff member and instructor for 12 years, the Ryder Cup is pretty special to me.

The U.S. team, of course, has not done well in the Ryder Cup for the past two decades or more so I’ve been hoping for good things at the incredible and truly spectacular Whistling Straits this weekend. What should have been a very special weekend for me in 2004 with my son at the Oakland Hills Ryder Cup proved to be a major disappointment for both of us. The U.S played very poorly and there was simply no energy at all. So, far this weekend, I’ve seen a VERY enthusiastic American crowd and excellent play for the American players. Keep it up, boys!

Back in 2015 while watching the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits my son and I talked of meeting up in Chicago this week and heading up the Lake Michigan shore to Whistling Straits to catch a couple of days of the of this wonderful event. Sadly, he’s very busy and quite stressed with a newish job in L.A. and I, along with my wife, an absolute saint, care for our “special” needs grand daughter on pretty much a 24/7 basis, so our dream, mine anyway, of another Ryder Cup together and our tentatively planned adventure never came to fruition. We’ll watch today, together on the phone a bit. Golf is the one sporting event, that I care about, that I can watch with someone else in the room or on the phone! And it IS a game he’ll actually stay of the phone with me because I really can’t complain about the officials. By the way, a side note, today’s PGA Rules analyst on NBC, Mark Wilson, is a friend of mine

The U.S. played very well yesterday, led 3-1 after the morning and 6-2 for the day. We’re off to a pretty good start today, but Europe is grinding to try to get back in this. I haven’t seen any shots today, maybe never will again, as spectacular as Jordan Spieth’s shot yesterday. Sadly JT F*cked it up by missing a four or five footer. If you didn’t see the shot, find it, it’s definitely worth a look. It was simply an amazing shot by a wonderful player who has made a living hitting amazing shots!

I’m starting to get a little frustrated now, after our great start, with today’s play even though the U.S. still leads in two matches with the Europeans leading in one and one tied. We’re starting to hit some bad shots, missing in the wrong places and missing critical putts like the one Daniel Berger just missed from four or five feet that would have won the hole evoking a “D@MMIT” from me, something I just can’t say when my grand daughter is within earshot, and an angry knee slap!

So, anyway, sorry if I’ve bored anyone, but this is a cool day for me, hope it stays that way and the U.S extends it’s lead. I get to watch the Ryder Cup, Michigan football later, and spend the day with the two most important people in my life, my wife and my grand daughter, and I’ll most likely talk golf with both my brother, maybe both of them, and my son, via long distance, later today. Go U.S.A. and Go Blue later today! :golf: :us: :football: :blue_heart:

4 Likes

I’m not a Daniel Berger fan right now

1 Like

In days of old, men used to beat the ground with sticks and scream and swear and they called it witchcraft. Now, they call it golf.

1 Like

You’re d*mn right! I’m pretty happy right now. By the way, I’m a big Jon Rahm fan and I absolutely love Sergio, so I’m not upset about losing that point, though I would love to get a half point out of that match this afternoon!

AND, I got to hear the MJ interview! Good day…so far!

1 Like