Podcast: NBA Draft preview for Michigan, Michigan State and the Big Ten

6 Likes

I have grown to really love these podcasts.

This is basically me every time a new podcast drops

12 Likes

Ya, one of the best pods out there

2 Likes

Dylan shills for Aaron Henry in the podcast, and I guess I kind of agree. I see why Franz will be drafted higher, but both have a pretty similar archetype – PJ Tucker or so. Franz has (roughly) three inches, three 3-P percentage points and maybe three years on AH, so Franz should go higher. But Henry looks like he has prototypical 2/3 body. Maybe not quite the acceleration in the half court – he didn’t get the rim as much as it seemed like he should. On the other hand, with that team, the space was so bad … when I watched them, it didn’t feel like Henry missed a ton of plays.

2 Likes

It is a good point and I do think Henry has some traits that would be helpful to an NBA team. But those differences you mention are pretty significant when it comes to the NBA. Additionally it feels like more people think there’s hope for Franz’s outside shot since it has been streaky both ways and his FT% is so high. I think there’s some thought that he’s a better facilitator as well.

Henry was really hurt by the inefficient offense that lacked any other playmakers and had a gaping wound at PG. I think he’ll maybe get a 2-way contract and have a path to show he belongs. I’m not sure defense alone is enough to stick as an otherwise generic 6’7" wing (as compared to shooting when you think about Livers), but I think he’ll hang around the fringe of the NBA for a while and get his chance.

I think your assessment is fair. I guess when I think of the two, I’m worried about the ambiguity I feel in my answers to the questions, of the two, 1) who would I ask to check Harden? Mano a Mano. 2) if I had to win a game tomorrow, who would I pick?

I’m not sure NBA exec should think much at all about #2, but I guess I believe they overvalue ceiling versus proven skill, production, toughness, etc. it’s a tough job.

Finished the pod and I heard BQ try to find a comp.for someone like Garza that’s hing around the NBA. Frank Kaminski is the best I could come up with. Dominant college player, good offense, sub seven foot, limited athleticism. Maybe old man version of Boogie Cousins? Moe Wagner?

I think he’s going to get a shot, but it feels like backup center is just so easy to find that it will be a struggle.

Dylan you really think Wieskamp outranks Kispert as a shooter in this draft??

Not sure where else to put this, but thought it was pretty cool for Dylan’s podcast partner…

23 Likes

@bfquinn06 is a bamf!!

For a moment I thought that was Kurt Warner!

1 Like

Is that BQ caddying for Piot again today in the finals. If so, I’m guessing he’ll be pretty tired carrying those clubs for a 36 hole final! I will say, though, I’m guessing this isn’t gonna go much beyond 32 or 33 holes! Still, a log walk carrying clubs, giving yardages, replacing divots, raking bunkers, etc in the hot sun at Oakmont!

3 Likes

Nope, that’s Dan Ellis State’s assistant coach.

2 Likes

Looks like Piot is making this a match again. Back to only 1 down.

Tied now! Might go the distance here

Yep, Jimmy’s playing well now won three holes in a row!

2 Likes

Four holes in a row 1 up!!!

Wow! What a great shot for Piot! My goodness!

For those who don’t know, I taught at…please don’t boo…Michigan State’s Golf Camp for 12 years in the 90’s and early 2000’s, and I either knew or knew of pretty much every great Michigan high school golfer from the mid eighties until 2005… OK, sorry, I know that sounds arrogant and I don’t want that, but seriously, I knew a lot of the James Piot’s during those couple of decades. I’m pretty stoked about him, and I hope he keeps playing well!

4 Likes

OK, pressure on Greaser!
Oh, my goodness, good putt, but… Piot 2 up with 3 holes to play!

Great shot there by Piot on the 34th hole, number 16. Greaser with a good shot, too, but he’ll have to make that, what 25-30 footer, because you know Piot will 2 putt at worst from 20 feet or so.

1 Like