E.C. Matthews

What is the story on this kid? Did we recruit him? 5 games of 20 or more in his last 6, including a 32 pt effort today. Would have been a great insurance policy on Nik…

He was definitely on our coaches radar but he never got an offer.

Always love to see Michigan kids succeeding at the college level. There were some academic concerns with EC which kind of prevented Michigan from ever prioritizing EC. He played great at a UM summer camp a as a sophomore.

JBs vision is to always recruit “high caliber” kids that will always translate into good teammates. It seems that he is very leery to venture into potential academic shortcomings, as well as any attitude issues. It will always cause us to miss out on some talented kids, but that is his MO. Having seen Josh Jackson a couple times this year I always come away feeling that he is one of the most “entitled” HS players I have ever seen. Wants every call, constantly challenges referees, and gives impression of its all about me. I may be way off ( and he is very young ) but I never leave the game without wondering. The coaches have been visible at some of his games, but my gut feeling is he isn’t seriously interested in us. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

What is the story on this kid? Did we recruit him? 5 games of 20 or more in his last 6, including a 32 pt effort today. Would have been a great insurance policy on Nik..

Oh come on. Earlier this season (before Nik was trending in 2014 drafts), I said that we should recruit a wing because we needed an insurance policy considering we had three wings with NBA Draft potential. You called the idea dumb and said we should only recruit wings when they start trending in drafts. Now, in hindsight, you wish we would have recruited an insurance policy?

Stay consistent, please.

What is the story on this kid? Did we recruit him? 5 games of 20 or more in his last 6, including a 32 pt effort today. Would have been a great insurance policy on Nik..

Oh come on. Earlier this season (before Nik was trending in 2014 drafts), I said that we should recruit a wing because we needed an insurance policy considering we had three wings with NBA Draft potential. You called the idea dumb and said we should only recruit wings when they start trending in drafts. Now, in hindsight, you wish we would have recruited an insurance policy?

Stay consistent, please.

The scholarship situation is different this year if you haven’t noticed

Insurance policies are nice when you have players with NBA potential. I wanted one.

Chez, certainly agree with your comments. The kids need to fit the culture and have the team first mind set. I have not seen many “me first” players in the JB system last very long or stay on the radar. The egos get checked at the door regardless of talent!

So wait, EC had academic AND character issues?

The Josh Jackson thing isn’t that serious given his age and the fact we are in on Tyus Battle, VJ King, Amir Coffey, and Eron Gordon

Michigan prioritized Irvin over Matthews. Are we trying to say that was a bad idea? Given the circumstances, their skillsets, etc. it worked out for the best for everyone involved.

No, Irvin is clearly better but don’t we have two extra scholarships?

I’m just being greedy lol

No, Irvin is clearly better but don't we have two extra scholarships?

We didn’t in August and September of 2012 when these kids were committing.

A young, 6-5 point guard a couple NBA scouts told me they'd love to see in counselor games vs. elite at Adidas Nations: URI's E.C. Matthews.

— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 21, 2014