DJ Wilson, Moe Wagner declare for NBA Draft without agents

If the player is that talented, some team will draft him in at least the 2nd Round and let him play out his Euro Contract. With the way NBA draft pick rights are retained for “EuroStash” prospects, the player wouldn’t see any benefit unless he’s willing to wait at least 3 seasons.

And if the player isn’t talented enough to get draft in R2, the chances are low that he’d get an undrafted FA contract of any monetary significance.

1 Like

Your logic makes sense, but I’m sort of considering the scenario where a player is talented but is just too raw to warrant a pick. Just thinking of ways to game the system.

Draft express released their new mock draft and Wilson was at #35 and Wagner wasn’t on the list at all.

Selfishly, I hope it stays that way with DJ and Mo likely out of the first round and returning to UM.

2 Likes

Oh for sure. There is almost no reason to go unless they are told they’d be picked in the first round. They both have first round potential but it definitely shouldn’t be this year. Taking either of them in the first round this year would be a mistake IMO. We all saw these kids play all year and to end the year getting beat up on by a non NBA big man in Jordan bell was just what we needed to get another year out of both :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed. Surprised to see Jordan Bell at #39 below DJ on the latest DX mock.

1 Like

Disagree on Jordan Bell, I think he will find a niche in the league. He was the Pac-10 DPOY and that translates to the next level.

2 Likes

Tbh, as long as they can get a job playing anywhere professionally, it is the financially correct decision to go. It’s very rare for a player to substantially improve their stock and a contract pretty much anywhere is worth about as much or more than a year of college (except D League deals).

Not everyone values money above all else.

2 Likes

First of all, that’s not true. Some players do improve their stock by staying. Trey Burke surely did. Denzel Valentine did. If you’re not a first round pick in the NBA, don’t go. Second round usually means NBDL. Overseas is an option, but it does not pay that well for most players, in some cases you don’t get paid and there’s zero job security.

1 Like

The top 14 picks last year included 4 seniors, a junior, and two sophomores, who all improved their stock by staying in college. Mo and DJ obviously improved their stock substantially by staying this year, right? You have to look at where the stock is and what would have to improve. Moe and DJ both seem like good candidates to potentially improve their stock significantly.

I agree 100%. One more year of college would guarantee both going the first round. They have the talent, that’s not a debate. The problem is this year was very inconsistent and both could get stronger. One more year and I can see them both playing minutes in the NBA in 18’.

Exactly. If Stauskas, Burke and Caris had all declared after their freshman year, where would they have been drafted? Similarly, what if Mo and DJ had declared last year? They clearly improved their stock by coming back, and IMO will continue to do so next year.

1 Like

I think you can answer your own question by answering this one: how many guys have you seen do that?

I like the Trey analogy best because he was borderline 1st round and bumped all the way up to a lottery pick. Leaving after frosh year wasn’t really a consideration for Nik or Caris.

1 Like

No, I agree, I just threw in the other examples because so many people seem to think “you are who you are” as a player after a year or two of college, which couldn’t be further from the truth, especially with a staff known for developing players.

It hasn’t worked with every single guy, of course, but the vast majority of our guys have improved, some of them quite dramatically.

JB also proved that he will shift the opportunities to the players most likely to capitalize; Walton was obviously ‘the guy,’ but in a season where the 4 and 5 were our 2nd and 3rd best options, they were put in positions to get buckets and showcase their skills. I have no doubt that, even beyond individual skill development, JB would get even more out of Mo and DJ/put them in more positions to produce, this year.

I think there is a clear cut financial argument for staying/raising their stock if they are in the back of the 20s or start of the 30s as many probably suggest.

Separately, a question, is it correct that combine invites come out today? Should lead to a flood of “returning to school” tweets for those not invited.

1 Like

DJ Wilson and Zak Irvin will workout for the Jazz tomorrow

1 Like

Yikes, Wilson would look good in Utah’s offense.