DJ Wilson, Moe Wagner declare for NBA Draft without agents

No doubt, if they can get guaranteed money, they should absolutely go. I honestly think next year, they’re both locks for the first round. Long 6 weeks to go but I’d expect both to return. Matthews was told by dj, he’s 80-20 and leaning coming back. Wants NBA advice though.

4 Likes

I hope so. I just hope both go into it with an open mind rather than having one foot out the door. Because honestly, all it takes is one team to say you’re a sure fire 1st rounder to make these guys take the jump.

Unless they are BSing Matthews, both have desires to return to Michigan. They’ve all been talking about doing big things next year. But again, they’d be foolish to turn down millions of guaranteed dollars. I just don’t see a GM that wants to keep his job, taking either of this guys just yet. Next year is a different story.

2 Likes

No way they’re locks for the first round unless they significantly improve their weaknesses.

Mo is weak defensively and poor on the boards.
DJ doesn’t have NBA SF handles and is terribly inconsistent.

These are fixable, but as they’ll be older next year they’ll need real progress to move up. (I believe they can both make those leaps in A2 with coach Beilein next year).

1 Like

I meant if they get the advice from NBA guys and improve those areas. I do not consider wilson a SF on any team, as he is an ideal PF. Wagner is also a PF in today’s NBA game. They don’t need to be good rebounders IMO. Their handle and 3point shooting is what the NBA wants.

Those announcements were both fairly predictable. I would have been more surprised if neither declared for the combine.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I say SF bc that’s how I envision small ball 4s. Just a bit taller.

1 Like

ESPNs chad ford has them both as first rounders. Wow. Maybe that was before all these new guys announced testing the NBA. I just can’t see it. But NBA people definitely look years ahead when drafting kids.

His latest was 7 days ago.

Chad Ford is AWFUL.

1 Like

I will have to agree by looking at his player evaluations lol

Worth listening to the pod as well:

2 Likes

I wonder if one of them leaving leaving makes bamba start to look at us harder. It could make him go the other way like less chance to win but maybe he goes "hmm open spot to start. I’m in."I’d be ok with dj leaving if it lands us bamba. Hell if you told me cam was coming along with alstork I’d be ok with dj leaving though I’d like him back. I just hope they decide fast enough before all these other decisions and we get don’t left in the dust.

The obvious answer is Mo Bamba.

Definitely sounds like a guy who doesn’t mind one bit coming back and expects to.

Taking a Spring class also sounds like he’s trying to graduate, or be close to it, by the end of next year. Would be one heck of an accomplishment to graduate and be a first rounder after 2018 if he does indeed come back.

2 Likes

Most athletes take spring and summer classes to stay on track to graduate in 4 years and have a more balanced schedule overall. Not sure of Moe’s academic standing, but doesn’t necessarily mean he’s trying to graduate early.

1 Like

True. I guess I was just assuming since he’s an all-academic athlete. I know the minimum is 12 credits in each the Fall and Winter semester to stay eligible. I’m not sure if Basketball is different though. Moe just seems like someone going above and beyond academically.

(EDIT: It could be 9 credits so not 100% sure and could be wrong, but strongly believe it’s 12)

Gonzaga big man Zach Collins declared for the draft and signed an agent. Put another one ahead of Wilson/Wagner.

2 Likes

After listening to podcast I’d give 90% probability Mo will be back

True, but most student-athletes who intend to leave do not take Spring classes — many don’t even finish up the Winter semester (preferring draft prep to school work).

IMO, taking Spring classes is more indicative of where his head’s currently leaning than declaring w/o an agent. (Of course a strong combine showing and a couple NBA Execs in your ear could change that)

2 Likes

Many stay because of the new APR rules and if they don’t stay they are taking classes where ever they are training.