Derrick Walton Appreciation

What a boss. Love that kid. I’m also reconsidering my doubts on x. I see it now. Kids gonna be just fine. Coach b might want to add another wing to run with him though. X looks like he could be a badass on the fast break, pushing the tempo.

I’ve been pretty critical of D-Walt but man, he’s really been playing fantastic lately. I hope he continues to play this hard the rest of the season.

Two straight solid games for X…including one on the road. Couple more and my outlook for next year will drastically go up.

1 Like

His comfort level is so much higher than just last week. I’m really happy for him if he keeps it up.

1 Like
1 Like

I’m really liking him. I’d be ok with a few more minutes for him. He has looked really solid. Giving us solid bench minutes could make this team much better. I’m liking his future a lot suddenly.

2 Likes

Walton has been outstanding for the last few weeks. If we make the tournament it will be on his back. Would be a nice way for him to go out.

1 Like
3 Likes

I have been critical of Walton in the past but he really deserves the honors he has been receiving the last few weeks.

Good job Walton!

Always interesting when a player realizes he can flip a switch and upgrade and opponents can’t go with him. Derrick is doing that game by game and has a set of quality games in a row as proof.

1 Like

4 Likes

I know Nebraska and MD are in the B1G now, but their four players on the list didn’t do it while in the B1G, so they probably don’t belong on that list. Take them out and Walton is the ninth guy to do it. Not bad at all.

3 Likes

@umhoops I’m assuming this is about Walton and his current streak of 5. I went through about 100 of the top players by offensive rating and usage rate. The only players who have matched Walton are Alec Peters who had a streak of 5 and a separate streak of 4 and Keon Johnson (Winthrop) who had a streak of 6.

1 Like
1 Like

Last couple games he’s struggled shooting a bit again but he’s attacking, doing dirty work, playing with confidence and defending much better. I’ve always loved Walton and gave him more slack than others I think. I felt he was our best player ever since levert got hurt in terms of talent.

Early in big ten play he just sat back and watched everything happen. Cost us a few games honestly. It all changed in that one game, can’t remember who we were playing. He was on the bench late second half and you could see him frustrated and swearing at himself. Like he was like " I’m Derrick mother f’in Walton. Wtf am I doing. My last year and im just watching it go by. No more , not without trying. I’m going down swinging, " he immediately came back in and hit a big three. Then just got red hot, hit every shot he took. Must have dropped 16 in the last ten minutes. I think we won too. I can’t remember what game that was but ever since then he’s took over as leader, go to guy, and played with tremendous confidence and urgency. His career will be remembered very fondly now, no matter what happens. No more what ifs or lost potential. He’s going down swinging. If he’s not first team all big ten , or up for big ten poy behind swanigan then it’s a damn shame.

3 Likes

So happy to see how Walton is finishing his Michigan career. He has kicked it up a notch and is carrying the team.Refuse to lose.

2 Likes

While we can blame the refs for many things this year, I guess we should consider thanking the ref in the IL game. That T certainly righted the DeWalt ship.

I can’t think of a veteran player who has transformed their play as dramatically as Walton within the course of a season.

He has always been very good at catch and shoot and rebounding, but honestly that is where my appreciation of his game ended. Until recently he lacked confidence, lacked intensity, and always seemed to be content letting seconds tick off the clock–just a completely boring( and often frustrating)player to watch, as he always chose the low risk path of least resistance. I am not sure what happened because now he is attacking in transition, half court, shooting off the bounce, taking to the rim, setting up teammates, leading the team, playing with swagger, taking risks, playing with flair. He has been effective and entertaining!

His mannerisms are different. He is interacting with his teammates, coaches, opponents and refs differently. HE looks like a veteran pro out there in terms of how he owns the court. He is playing above everyone…He doesn’t even dribble the same way. He jogs down the court different. Anybody else notice him jogging around the court with little baby steps last night? Haha. What the hell is that bit of quirkiness-- I love it. Who is this guy? Did Walton have a conversation with god or did he just say to himself “F#ck it”.

I am really happy for Walton as a person.

As a fan I am happy for Michigan because Walton, right now, has an aura around him that is beginning to remind me of some legendary dudes: Burke, Cleaves ,Kemba …

I am excited to watch this play out…

4 Likes

I’d say he finally seems 100%, and as a senior, he knows it’s his last chance and he’s embracing it.