Cumberland's film

I’ve gone back and forth on Cumberland-I’m much higher on him than I was though after viewing the most recent film, because I saw passing skills I hadn’t seen in previous film, which tended to show off only his scoring abilities. I wanted to see whether, perhaps, my view was colored by Michigan’s increasing interest in him–confirmation bias, if you will–so I asked two people whose evaluations I respect to view the film and give me honest analysis. Each is a fan of a Big Ten team other than Michigan, and watches a lot of film of potential recruits (obviously skewed to their own teams), as well as going to see kids live. What follows is their respective opinions, admittedly based on 6 minutes of highlight films, as close to verbatim as I can make it.

Evaluation 1–Not especially athletic from a run/jump perspective, but very fluid in his movements. Good ball skills and court awareness, with an ability to get where he wants with the ball despite a lack of speed because of his body and understanding of how to use it. Every shot other than a lay-up is a fade away–this needs to be corrected. Good anticipation on the wing. Plays hard, and with his head up. Will be a good Big Ten player–a top 60-75 level kid. Best player comparison–Dimitri McCamey (Illinois).

Evaluation 2–Slow, strong, has the ability to be a nice finisher at the rim because of strength and ability to use body to shield. Release is slow on outside shot, but nice rotation and stroke. Can create off pick and roll, but is not a PG. Good court vision and basketball IQ. Not a “wow” player, but a solid, Big Ten starter level kid, especially for a team like Wisconsin or Michigan who can/will use him in a way which emphasizes his strengths. Top 75-100 level. Best player comparison–Antoine Joubert.

These tend to correlate what others have said and I have seen. Nonetheless, it was interesting to me to see what others without skin in the game had to say.

LOL, a Joubert comparison. Never forget seeing Antoine at Crisler when he was a high school senior wearing a fur coat. I saw Denzel Valentine play in high school, and Cumberland is very similar in size and game.

Thanks very much for sharing, going to be interesting what the staff does withe the scholarships over the next couple of years. After all the talk with the top guys we were involved with just trying to wrap my head around a potential class of CJ Walker and Cumberland, which isn’t a bad class.

He’s pretty good using his body to create space. I call that the Cumberland Gap.
Or maybe he’s not as physically gifted as Langford or Battle, causing anxious fans to lament the percieved Cumberland Gap.

Have to disagree about the McCamey comparison but other than that relatively accurate. You can pretty much sum up Cumberland in a few words - good shooter on catch and shoot, no elevation and slow release; average/below average ball handler that is able to get to the rim against smaller defenders; decent passer in transition; below average athlete. Projects as 2 in college/Rayvonte Rice

Good stuff here guys… I see some of the Rice/McCamey/Valentine comparisons definitely in the way that he’s able to use his body. Michigan has lacked a big physical scorer like that in the past, so could be a weapon.

There’s always the worry though that when you get to the Big Ten level you just can’t overpower people like you have the rest of your career (Carlton Brundidge), but the fact that Cumberland is a little bigger, leaner and looks so strong bodes well.

Good stuff here guys... I see some of the Rice/McCamey/Valentine comparisons definitely in the way that he's able to use his body. Michigan has lacked a big physical scorer like that in the past, so could be a weapon.

There’s always the worry though that when you get to the Big Ten level you just can’t overpower people like you have the rest of your career (Carlton Brundidge), but the fact that Cumberland is a little bigger, leaner and looks so strong bodes well.

I think another difference is Cumberland can shoot where somebody like brundidge was a work in progress

Update on Cumberland from this weekend’s EYBL–through 2 games, averaging 19 ppg, 5 rpg, 2a/1to, 54% on 2s, 27% on 3s, 88% from the line.

Showed the film to someone else, and got a Trevon Bluiett comparison.

Nowhere near the offensive diversity of Bluiett. Similar in terms of build/limited athletic ability, but Bluiett was certainly more skilled.

What do the coaches like about Cumberland over what they see in Towns? Cumberland can play the two and Towns can’t?

What do the coaches like about Cumberland over what they see in Towns? Cumberland can play the two and Towns can't?

It probably is as simple as that. Right now the needs for 2016 are a PG and a SG, any other positions will have to be determined by any attrition or changes between now and then.

What do the coaches like about Cumberland over what they see in Towns? Cumberland can play the two and Towns can't?

It probably is as simple as that. Right now the needs for 2016 are a PG and a SG, any other positions will have to be determined by any attrition or changes between now and then.

I don’t buy that for 1 second considering Towns is a better ball handler and playmaker.

Towns recruitment has been interesting I’d say.

Towns is NOT a better ball handler, and not the scorer Cumberland is. JC is a true 6’5 SG who is a bully scorer. Towns is a 6’8 SF who would play the 4 here as a straight shooter not being able to take many defenders off the dribble.

Towns is NOT a better ball handler, and not the scorer Cumberland is. JC is a true 6'5 SG who is a bully scorer. Towns is a 6'8 SF who would play the 4 here as a straight shooter not being able to take many defenders off the dribble.

Everybody Is entitled to an opinion…but the fact is Towns’ film reflects a better handle and displays more ability to shoot off the bounce irrelevant of your opinion.

After watching a full game of Cumberland in addition to film, I think it’s very misguided to believe he is going to finish at the rim vs B10 bigs with his lack of elevation. We’re talking 3-4 inches.

Cumberland reminds me of those kids the dribble with their head down. I’m sure he doesn’t actually do that, but I don’t see many guards that go from point A to point B with such little deviation (pass, misdirection, etc.). It reminds me of RBs that don’t see the hole.

I don’t buy that for 1 second considering Towns is a better ball handler and playmaker.

I like Towns a lot as well, but I’m giving the assessment from the standpoint of what the coaches may be considering. I think the priorities for 2016 are a 1 and a 2.

Cumberland reminds me of those kids the dribble with their head down. I'm sure he doesn't actually do that, but I don't see many guards that go from point A to point B with such little deviation (pass, misdirection, etc.). It reminds me of RBs that don't see the hole.

After watchIng the following, I don’t understand how you made the statements above.

Watched some of his morning session vs. CP3. He is clearly an elite shooter. He makes it look easy from beyond the 3. He had a couple of drives and struggled to finish over CP3’s bigs. He doesn’t seem to have the lift around the basket you would like in order to finish in the Big Ten.

It was the second time I watched him this weekend. First game he was ridiculous from three as well.

Towns is NOT a better ball handler, and not the scorer Cumberland is. JC is a true 6'5 SG who is a bully scorer. Towns is a 6'8 SF who would play the 4 here as a straight shooter not being able to take many defenders off the dribble.

Everybody Is entitled to an opinion…but the fact is Towns’ film reflects a better handle and displays more ability to shoot off the bounce irrelevant of your opinion.

After watching a full game of Cumberland in addition to film, I think it’s very misguided to believe he is going to finish at the rim vs B10 bigs with his lack of elevation. We’re talking 3-4 inches.

What if his opinion of the film is more accurate than yours, Coach K?