Cumberland's film

Cumberland reminds me of those kids the dribble with their head down. I'm sure he doesn't actually do that, but I don't see many guards that go from point A to point B with such little deviation (pass, misdirection, etc.). It reminds me of RBs that don't see the hole.

After watchIng the following, I don’t understand how you made the statements above.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sccno2VIdVM

I realize there are going to be plays where he looks like he has a good handle and vision, but take a look at the play here at 0:27. He is literally watching the ball for multiple dribbles, has 0 awareness of where his teammates are, and throws up an off balance, no look, prayer (but get’s bailed out by a foul call). I never want to see plays like that from one of our wings, especially when we desperately need a creators.

Really, that’s a play you’re critical about? He was on a fast break and clearly had designs of taking it all the way, which he did, and drew a foul. From your description, I expected to see some highlight where he pounded the air out of the ball in the half court and then took a bad shot.

I like this kid a lot. Elite scorer. Can get by a defender. Great range. Per Brian Snow a kid that grew up a fan of Michigan. I think this is a realistic recruit that JB could actually land. I hope we offer.

Side note- Anyone know when the last time JB took a kid covered in tats? I can’t think of one dating back to his wvu days.

@Zblue Trey Burke had plenty of ink.

Really, that's a play you're critical about? He was on a fast break and clearly had designs of taking it all the way, which he did, and drew a foul. From your description, I expected to see some highlight where he pounded the air out of the ball in the half court and then took a bad shot.

Just callin’ it like I see it. Also, I’m one of the least critical posters on the forum, so it’s not like I’m being critical just to be critical. I’d have to really bend backwards to convince myself that type of leading a fast break will work at the NCAA level. Head down, not aware of teammate locations, throwing up an off balanced layup outside of the lane.

Dude, it’s one play.

Dude, it's one play.

I acknowledged that is was 1 play and that there are going to be examples of good plays. But, if you take the time to read my post, I said “I never want to see plays like that from one of our wings, especially when we desperately need a creators.”

It’s one play on his highlight film that depicts 3 things I don’t want to see from a guard leading a fast break. To me, that isn’t a good thing. You’re entitled to your opinion, though.

Who is #21 in that video? Funderburk? Can we have him?

You could take film from any guy we’ve recruited over the past 30 years and find a clip and say, “I never want to see that.” Heck, every time I watch a game of Webber at Michigan and see him shoot that flat three pointer that clangs
off the rim, my first thought is, “Why?”

The issue is not whether a kid made a bad play on tape, it’s whether he has the skills and attitude to be successful for us. They’ll coach those bad decisions out of him.

To me, the issue

You could take film from any guy we've recruited over the past 30 years and find a clip and say, "I never want to see that." Heck, every time I watch a game of Webber at Michigan and see him shoot that flat three pointer that clangs off the rim, my first thought is, "Why?"

The issue is not whether a kid made a bad play on tape, it’s whether he has the skills and attitude to be successful for us. They’ll coach those bad decisions out of him.

To me, the issue

Well, I disagree. Is that okay?

Sure, I just think if you’re going to find fault with one play, you can find that fault with any player, no matter how good.

I’m not suggesting Cumberland shows any great creativity out there, in terms of being able to create shots for others. But his film shows me a nice ability to score, both outside and taking it in the lane. IMO, we could sure do a lot worse. But of course you’re entitled to whatever opinion you have about him.

Towns is NOT a better ball handler, and not the scorer Cumberland is. JC is a true 6'5 SG who is a bully scorer. Towns is a 6'8 SF who would play the 4 here as a straight shooter not being able to take many defenders off the dribble.

Everybody Is entitled to an opinion…but the fact is Towns’ film reflects a better handle and displays more ability to shoot off the bounce irrelevant of your opinion.

After watching a full game of Cumberland in addition to film, I think it’s very misguided to believe he is going to finish at the rim vs B10 bigs with his lack of elevation. We’re talking 3-4 inches.

Then why have Michigan and OSU both backed off Towns?

Towns is NOT a better ball handler, and not the scorer Cumberland is. JC is a true 6'5 SG who is a bully scorer. Towns is a 6'8 SF who would play the 4 here as a straight shooter not being able to take many defenders off the dribble.

Everybody Is entitled to an opinion…but the fact is Towns’ film reflects a better handle and displays more ability to shoot off the bounce irrelevant of your opinion.

After watching a full game of Cumberland in addition to film, I think it’s very misguided to believe he is going to finish at the rim vs B10 bigs with his lack of elevation. We’re talking 3-4 inches.

Then why have Michigan and OSU both backed off Towns?

UM backed off DTJ…does that indicate that CJ Walker is a better prospect? Most likely, the staff simply grew tired of waiting, but obviously can’t speak with certainty.