College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

you’re really convincing me of this tbh. everyone talks about the portal and NIL but i think the fact that those came in around the same time as covid years really undersells the impact of covid years

1 Like
2 Likes

NO. NO. Nope. Nada. No. NO!

2 Likes

Yes please!!! :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:
Home run Ivy transfer

Ewing’s job is saved!

2 Likes

The decision to grant everyone an extra year of eligibility, when they hadn’t missed a season, was questionable at best.

5 Likes

Flagrant on Syracuse at the end??? What say you??

1 Like

what a shame. couldn’t have happened to a better guy

2 Likes

I’m all about limiting unnecessary head contact and swinging of elbows…but, it’s a basketball play. Why does NCAA officiating always take things too far…then have to wait a season or two to adjust properly…

6 Likes

Was a typo on Dug, thank you. But yes he’s more than a full year older. Dug came in as a 19 year old freshman, Emoni a 17 year old freshman. I was just sharing to provide some perspective because we all agree Dug will struggle some because he’s “young”.

Congrats to Georgetown. What’s their coaching list? Mike Brey? I dunno. I believe he is done. Tommy Amaker? Could a chance to come ‘home’ get him out of hiding? Mike Jones of VaTech and DeMatha - seems early, but the upside could be there. Jim Boeheim? (Hah) Chris Caputo was long time staffer for Laranaga w DC ties, but he just started at GWU and might be off the market (he wasn’t last spring - SMH). Honestly, Eisley? An east coast catholic school … seems like he wouldn’t be an awful fit and might have some nostalgia about what it was, but both sides have reasons to say no. Ugh. What a mess.

Amaker long missed his chance to make that kind of jump I would guess. Think he’s just gonna stick it out at Harvard til the end. James Jones would be the guy if they want an Ivy guy.

If they want a guy with the qualification of “coaches a small private school in Virginia” there are several options. Kim English would be the splashy hire based on his connections in the DMV. He hasn’t proven much.
Chris Mooney has been steady at Richmond for over a decade now. Both would probably be ahead of Caputo I would think. And I would definitely call Mike Rhoades if I were them.

1 Like

I think it is a VERY interesting question what the perception of the program is in the coaching community. Yes, it is still a high major conference position, and yes, it will pay market rates, I’m sure. And yes, DMV is outstanding recruiting.

But so many strikes against the position. University leadership is overly involved in NCAA Athletics. University is D3 in football and so basketball coach has to carry the fight on pay to play/NIL alone. Off campus arena. Practice facility is antiquated. Total fan apathy at this point, although most coaches will surely assume that is a quick fix.

I would be pretty surprised if they could pick off a high major coach. Maybe Fred H or somebody in that position would want to restart the clock. But the inevitable Ed Cooley rumors would be pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

1 Like

Yeah they’re at a strange spot. I’m not sure how much the football thing matters since they’re in a conference filled entirely with teams that don’t have high level football, but it does seem something is off institutionally. I think they just need to get away from the Thompson dynasty (including Ewing in that) and get a fresh face.

If I were them I think I would start with the 3 names I listed.

1 Like

what the eff

If that won’t convince you that development isn’t linear than nothing will

3 Likes

Kind of just looks like he handles the ball less and makes his 3 pointers instead of missing them based on that stat profile

2 Likes

He’s a career 32.4% 3-point shooter who is shooting 36% from 3. Feels… about right?

He was on about a 3 year cold streak from 3 before this. If you remember, he started shooting awful starting in conference play his sophomore year.

I haven’t watched enough ISU to know if he’s handling it less this year but they had Tyrese Hunter last year so I can’t imagine he’s handling it much less. The uptick in Stocks is pretty noticeable as well. But yeah the main driver of the ORtg is he finally rekindled his freshman year shooting as a 5th year senior

Take out his freshman year and it’s like 28% or something. Interesting that he’s bookending his career with his two best seasons.

1 Like

Yeah, I know he had some awful shooting years but volume is still one of if not the best indicator of shooting ability IMO. I don’t think it is that surprising for him to shoot in the mid 30s.

1 Like