Caris LeVert Draft Stock

I’m sorry. It should have read, If you have/had a son and he could own any of the Overall package/talent (size,speed,skill, athleticism) of the listed players, whose package would you prefer him to have while pursuing a career in Basketball?

That’s fine. How about we do it this way, I guess I’m trying to gauge how you view skill and talent. If you have/had a son and he could own any of the Overall package/talent (size,speed,skill, athleticism) of those listed whose would you prefer him to have while pursuing a career in Basketball?

P.S. Michael Beasley was no slouch in college, he put in just as much work as the Big Dog.

I wasn’t trying to take it anywhere. I was merely trying to gauge your projection of Jaylen Browns Talent. Would you project Jaylen to become a better College player than those listed? If not where would he fall in the list?

My order, best to worst talents of those listed.

Josh Jackson, Tracy McGrady, Carmelo Anthony, Glenn Robinson, Michael Beasley, Antawn Jamison, Jamal Crawford, Jalen Rose, JR Rider, Albert White, Ron Mercer, James Forrest, Justise Winslow, Jaylen Brown, Kevon Looney, Stanley Johnson.

What Brown does in college basketball is irrelevant…because college basketball has become largely irrelevant based on the 1 and done rule. The quality of college basketball is very poor in contemporary times, and until the entry rules are amended, it will continue to be. None of the referenced players will be as good as Big Dog in college…probably the most dominating player I’ve even seen in college.

Beasely played exactly 1 year of college ball, to compare him to the Big Dog is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Generally speaking, if my hypothetical son could have 1 attribute…no doubt it would be athleticism. Skills can be taught with repetition…speed, lateral agility, verticality can only be improved marginally no matter how hard you work. Athleticism is pretty much immutable…it’s a gift from above.

I'm sorry. It should have read, If you have/had a son and he could own any of the Overall package/talent (size,speed,skill, athleticism) of the listed players, whose package would you prefer him to have while pursuing a career in Basketball?
That's fine. How about we do it this way, I guess I'm trying to gauge how you view skill and talent. If you have/had a son and he could own any of the Overall package/talent (size,speed,skill, athleticism) of those listed whose would you prefer him to have while pursuing a career in Basketball?

P.S. Michael Beasley was no slouch in college, he put in just as much work as the Big Dog.

I wasn’t trying to take it anywhere. I was merely trying to gauge your projection of Jaylen Browns Talent. Would you project Jaylen to become a better College player than those listed? If not where would he fall in the list?

My order, best to worst talents of those listed.

Josh Jackson, Tracy McGrady, Carmelo Anthony, Glenn Robinson, Michael Beasley, Antawn Jamison, Jamal Crawford, Jalen Rose, JR Rider, Albert White, Ron Mercer, James Forrest, Justise Winslow, Jaylen Brown, Kevon Looney, Stanley Johnson.

What Brown does in college basketball is irrelevant…because college basketball has become largely irrelevant based on the 1 and done rule. The quality of college basketball is very poor in contemporary times, and until the entry rules are amended, it will continue to be. None of the referenced players will be as good as Big Dog in college…probably the most dominating player I’ve even seen in college.

Beasely played exactly 1 year of college ball, to compare him to the Big Dog is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Generally speaking, if my hypothetical son could have 1 attribute…no doubt it would be athleticism. Skills can be taught with repetition…speed, lateral agility, verticality can only be improved marginally no matter how hard you work. Athleticism is pretty much immutable…it’s a gift from above.

For me, it would be Kobe Bryant (I know he’s not on the list)…probably the best basketball player I’ve ever seen in terms of the athelticism/skill combination. There is literally nothing on a basketball court he could not accomplish up until 2 years ago. More than anything, I just admire his toughness…he just refuses to back down to anyone or anything.

1 Like

I think you are underrating Jalen. To me, his greatest attribute was his ability to flat out score. Yeah, he wasn’t super athletic (though I think you underrate his athleticism), and he didn’t have a lights out handle or shot, but he was lanky and could just score from all over, whether it was driving, shooting pull up shots, floaters, leaners, or posting people up. He was the leading scorer and unquestioned leader of the Fab Five - a team that went to the title game as freshmen in an era where almost everyone stayed four years. I don’t think Jaylen Brown (or anyone else on that list) could do what Jalen did as a freshman.

Uhhhhhh… Regarding those listed, Carmelo Anthony did him one Better. He won the whole Shebang.
And I feel if you replaced Jalen with either Jamal Crawford, Josh Jackson or Tracy McGrady on that Fab 5 Team they may have been Better IMO.

I think you are underrating Jalen. To me, his greatest attribute was his ability to flat out score. Yeah, he wasn’t super athletic (though I think you underrate his athleticism), and he didn’t have a lights out handle or shot, but he was lanky and could just score from all over, whether it was driving, shooting pull up shots, floaters, leaners, or posting people up. He was the leading scorer and unquestioned leader of the Fab Five - a team that went to the title game as freshmen in an era where almost everyone stayed four years. I don’t think Jaylen Brown (or anyone else on that list) could do what Jalen did as a freshman.

Well, Carmelo played during a totally different era where the best players were leaving after one or two years. When Jalen’s team went up against Duke, they had a senior Laettner, junior Hurley, seniors Thomas Hill and Brian Davis, and sophomore Grant Hill. Enough said, I think.

There is NO WAY the Fab Five is better if you replace Jalen with Crawford, Josh Jackson or McGrady. I don’t buy that for a second. For one thing, Jalen was the point guard on that team, a position Josh Jackson and McGrady can’t play. Crawford was very good as a freshman, on a relatively bad Michigan team. On the Fab Five squad, he would have been the fifth option behind Jalen, Webber, Juwan and Jimmy King.

Indeed, during Carmelo’s time, most of the best high school players were skipping college entirely (Amare, LeBron, etc).

Sorry Matt, I’d have to rank Jordan ahead of Kobe in terms of athleticism/skill combination, and probably Hakeem too. And while they are not as high in the skill department, I’d put Shaq and LeBron ahead of him in terms of athleticism, which makes it a close call for me when comparing Kobe to those two. I think I’ll have Kobe ahead of LeBron as long as he still has more rings, but if LeBron happens to match him, it becomes really close.

All three players named could have ran the PG Position for that Fab Five Team. All of their Handle and Basketball IQ was on par if not better than Jalen Rose. And all could score/shoot better. So I take it you would also say Jalen Rose could not have been replaced by players like Kyle Anderson, Walt Williams, Steve Smith, Evan Turner, Tall Guards able to man the PG position.

Well, Carmelo played during a totally different era where the best players were leaving after one or two years. When Jalen’s team went up against Duke, they had a senior Laettner, junior Hurley, seniors Thomas Hill and Brian Davis, and sophomore Grant Hill. Enough said, I think.

There is NO WAY the Fab Five is better if you replace Jalen with Crawford, Josh Jackson or McGrady. I don’t buy that for a second. For one thing, Jalen was the point guard on that team, a position Josh Jackson and McGrady can’t play. Crawford was very good as a freshman, on a relatively bad Michigan team. On the Fab Five squad, he would have been the fifth option behind Jalen, Webber, Juwan and Jimmy King.

Sorry Matt, I'd have to rank Jordan ahead of Kobe in terms of athleticism/skill combination, and probably Hakeem too. And while they are not as high in the skill department, I'd put Shaq and LeBron ahead of him in terms of athleticism, which makes it a close call for me when comparing Kobe to those two. I think I'll have Kobe ahead of LeBron as long as he still has more rings, but if LeBron happens to match him, it becomes really close.

I know most will disagree, but Jordan really played against subpar perimeter defenders for the most part. Go back and watch film, ball pressure was non-existent for the most part. Post defense was much more physical back then, but perimeter players just weren’t as athletic, especially in terms of lateral agility. To think that Dennis Johnson was considered a lockdown defender back then is a joke.

That being said, I thought MJ had much better shot selection than Kobe, but there is no doubt Kobe had a higher skill level in terms of ball handling, footwork, shooting range. Thought MJ was a bit better vertically.

Webdogg, sorry, I just don’t agree at all, and I think you vastly underrate Jalen Rose. Of the three guys you mentioned, only one even actually played college ball, and there is no way Crawford was nearly as good as Jalen. Not in the pros, either.

Matt, Kobe’s a great talent, but I don’t agree that he was as skilled as Jordan. I do agree with your point about perimeter defenders, somewhat, except Jordan’s prime was 1990-1995 and Dennis Johnson was certainly not a prime defender at that point. I get your point, but Jordan was routinely a .510-.530 shooter in his prime, whereas Kobe usually shot around .460, so that accounts for Jordan facing worse defenders.

To me, the big difference is that during his prime, no one could beat Jordan. Not true with Kobe.

Webdogg, sorry, I just don't agree at all, and I think you vastly underrate Jalen Rose. Of the three guys you mentioned, only one even actually played college ball, and there is no way Crawford was nearly as good as Jalen. Not in the pros, either.

Matt, Kobe’s a great talent, but I don’t agree that he was as skilled as Jordan. I do agree with your point about perimeter defenders, somewhat, except Jordan’s prime was 1990-1995 and Dennis Johnson was certainly not a prime defender at that point. I get your point, but Jordan was routinely a .510-.530 shooter in his prime, whereas Kobe usually shot around .460, so that accounts for Jordan facing worse defenders.

To me, the big difference is that during his prime, no one could beat Jordan. Not true with Kobe.

LA I pretty much agree with you, hence my initial post that MJ had much better shot selection in relation to Kobe, thus the higher %. But in terms of skill (vs production), Kobe is the best basketball player to ever live in my opinion. I have personally witnessed Kobe do things on a basketball court that I did not think we’re humanly possible. One of his less talked about highlights that is indicative of this came vs Portland when he dropped 65. He caught the ball right baseline, spun around the initial defender only to be doubled at which point he raises up with great balance and hits a fadeaway three. One of the most breathtaking displays of of skill and athleticism that I’ve ever seen.

Latest mock draft on NBAdraft.net has caris staying another year. I am aware that it does not mean anything, but it is the first draft I have seen with him not in it. Has him going 22nd in the 2016 NBA draft.http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Caris is still in a walking boot…I’m assuming that means the injury is probably more severe than initially anticipated?

April Fools!

Latest mock draft on NBAdraft.net has caris staying another year. I am aware that it does not mean anything, but it is the first draft I have seen with him not in it. Has him going 22nd in the 2016 NBA draft.http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Caris is still in a walking boot...............I'm assuming that means the injury is probably more severe than initially anticipated?

I think it would also means there is a slightly better chance he decides to come back next year?

If Caris is still in the boot that isn’t a good sign for his draft prospects. It will take him at least 3-4 weeks to get back into decent enough shape once the boot comes off, let alone effectively compete in workouts. That doesn’t even speak to the fact that he will need more that 3-4 weeks to get back his fluidity, rhythm, shot, handles, etc.

If Caris was a sure lottery type pick, this wouldn’t be AS big a deal…but because Caris is tenuous as a mid-1st rd’er and most likely a late 1st rd’er, it becomes far more problematic because his status will make it easier for teams to drop him on their board, especially if they are 50/50 with him and a healthier option who has shown more in workouts.

I think the only way Caris decides to leave is if out of the blue, several guys that are projected to be picked higher than him, stay in college. If everyone who is expected to declare, declares, I think Caris returns.

I know there may be a less than 1% chance of this happening, but I can’t help but dream so here goes:

If Caris comes back AND jaylen brown chooses us, how good are we?

PG: Walton, Spike, MAAR
SG: Levert, Dawkins
SF: Brown, Chatman
PF: Irvin, Duncan Robinson
C: Doyle, Donnal

Does Dawkins even get minutes? or MAAR? Obviously still a size able hole at center but does our perimeter talent matchup with the best in the country?

Dawkins does…unless Chatman surpasses him, Kam is the odd man out there. MAAR may not unless he somehow surpasses Spike at PG (unlikely). I’d also put Wilson above Donnal, but that’s purely speculative.

I’d play the best 5, even if that meant Brown at the 5. I’m pretty pessimistic on Ricky Doyle, I just don’t think the footspeed will ever be there to play adequate defense in the Big Ten, hopefully the rebounding improves. Brown would probably be a better rebounder than any of Doyle, Donnal or Wilson.

I know there may be a less than 1% chance of this happening, but I can't help but dream so here goes:

If Caris comes back AND jaylen brown chooses us, how good are we?

PG: Walton, Spike, MAAR
SG: Levert, Dawkins
SF: Brown, Chatman
PF: Irvin, Duncan Robinson
C: Doyle, Donnal

Does Dawkins even get minutes? or MAAR? Obviously still a size able hole at center but does our perimeter talent matchup with the best in the country?

Not good if you look at our defensive issues at the 4 and 5.