Caleb Swanigan Decommits from Sparty?

I’ll be surprised if its Purdue and not Cal.

Michigan State commit Caleb Swanigan has decommitted, source told ESPN. Hearing Purdue is strong for a landing spot.

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) May 7, 2015

I just have to LOL at Izzo. I can only imagine the rage going on in his office right now.

That said, I never thought package deals happened much since kids are always saying they’d love to be teammates…this is a case where I was definitely wrong.

I do wonder if Cuonzo kept recruiting him after the commit to MSU…interesting…

From what I gather elsewhere on the interwebs, seems like maybe the kid wants either Cal or MSU, and his parents/guardians/handlers want Purdue. Will be interesting to see who “wins”, but also, you hate to see both this type of tug-of-war between a kid and others, and also, it starts to feel sketchy pretty fast.

@AlbrechtShotFake I guess my point is that Swanigan isn’t quick enough to guard a guy like Jae’Sean Tate or to stick with Aubrey Dawkins or Zak Irvin on the perimeter for open jumpers.

If he ends up at Purdue, they'll have quite the frontcourt. Hammons and Swanigan starting and Haas coming off the bench. Talk about a tough defensive matchup for our 4s.
Seems weird that he would pick Purdue with Hammons and Haas already on the roster though. Not a lot of minutes to go around and Swanigan at the four with one of those two... Maybe it works, but I don't see it. He's much more of an undersized (vertically) five man.

I think that can work in college not so much in the pros. I mean Tate with OSU was playing the 4 at times and he’s 6’4-6’5. I don’t know who the PG will be for Purdue but

PG ------
SG Stephens
SF Davis
PF Edwards
C Hammons

Swanigan, Haas off the bench or Edwards if they want to put Swanigan there?

If he ends up at Purdue, they’ll have quite the frontcourt. Hammons and Swanigan starting and Haas coming off the bench. Talk about a tough defensive matchup for our 4s.

California may be out of scholarships?

Izzo and beilein have burned big time by trying to recruit big timers since the gary harris and mitch mcgary recruitments.

All very good points (and thankfully you didn’t cite the weather, which is a non-factor in landing elite basketball players) but it’s not like (1) Michigan doesn’t benefit from local/regional talent, and (2) Michigan can’t theoretically leverage mutual connections with ex-pros and other luminaries. I have no idea if the California program is “clean” but I doubt they could get away with the kind of academic shenanigans associated with the blue bloods. But you’re right, a bit of a perfect storm here (and we too have benefitted from “package deals” in the past). At the end of the day, this is just a delightful setback for MSU.

If he ends up at Purdue, they'll have quite the frontcourt. Hammons and Swanigan starting and Haas coming off the bench. Talk about a tough defensive matchup for our 4s.
Seems weird that he would pick Purdue with Hammons and Haas already on the roster though. Not a lot of minutes to go around and Swanigan at the four with one of those two... Maybe it works, but I don't see it. He's much more of an undersized (vertically) five man.

Definitely would agree that Cal seems like it’s the hot topic right now. Glad we won’t have to deal with him though.

LOL

Glad we won't have to deal with him though.

I mean, we might! But I’d much rather deal with him in a Purdue uniform than a Sparty one.

Glad we won't have to deal with him though.

I mean, we might! But I’d much rather deal with him in a Purdue uniform than a Sparty one.

Hah, sorry. My mind is already jumping to the case where he’s at Cal. But yes, if he chooses Purdue (would be great pickup for Painter) he would be a handful.

Huh. If Berkeley can pull off the trifecta, maybe there’s hope for Michigan too.

I tweeted this the night Jaylen committed… I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to flip him. There you go.

I tweeted this the night Jaylen committed... I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to flip him. There you go.

Agreed, that’s why I’m surprised Purdue may be leading.

In any event, I’m feeling better about Michigan’s chances to win the conference this year. Maryland still has a more impressive roster, but my gut says they’re slightly overrated based on last year.

Huh. If Berkeley can pull off the trifecta, maybe there's hope for Michigan too.

Not sure it’s indicative…kind of a perfect storm for Cal. Rabb is a local kid, Shareef Abdur Rahim went to Brown’s high school, and even with Swanigan…Martin came from the Purdue program and knows Fort Wayne well. And of course, those three guys are friends. That’s before considering things like Cal is the program of Todd Bozeman and could be up to old tricks.

Dakich has Swanigan to Purdue. Big boy lineup.

If it wasn’t the package to Cal, and he goes to Purdue, wonder what could have happened so quickly for him to change his mind.