Caleb Swanigan is now a 2015 recruit

Big man reclassified today. He’ll graduate a year early and be a member of the 2015 class.

whoa. do we still go for him?

Limited scholarships for 2015 + young centers already on the team.

I think MSU is putting on the hard sell, especially with Deyonta Davis playing on his AAU team now.

Michigan would obviously take him and will continue to recruit him, but I wouldn’t say it’s a likely match when all is said and done.

Boy if State somehow attracts Swanigan and Brunson? No thanks.

MSU’s team last year had 3 McDonald’s All-American players add to that Costello was Mr. Basketball, Trice was Gatorade POY in Ohio when Burke won Mr. Ohio. Somehow we found a way to win 2 out of 3 against that talent.

MSU will always get great talent as long as Izzo is there. If only he can keep them healthy lol

Brunson, Davis and Swanigan would be exactly what that program needs. Add in Gill-Caesar and that’s a top 3 class at worst… But, that’s best case scenario for them.

Caleb in East Lansing would be the worst case scenario for Michigan. This kid is an absolute monster. His ceiling is sky high. I wish I knew how to upload the videos I have of him. I have a great angle showing him hedge on a screen, get back and pin a lay up. Then a flash to the high post. Catch the ball, Square up, pump fake take 2 dribbles and hit a floater. So smooth for being that big.

There is no worst case scenario for Michigan regarding MSU recruiting. Unless Jalen Coleman sets his announcement, UM has no other options (meaning try lose out on Eron Harris, the kid from the west coast ect…) and JC picks MSU, I don’t really care what they do. They have had plenty of talent the past 6-7 years and we have matched them almost every game. Would love to make a splash in '16 though.

IMO Izzo is scrambling in terms of recruiting. 2013 and 2014 weren’t great classes. They weren’t horrible but he didn’t get any Appling/Harris/Payne caliber guys. And he NEEDS those guys. I think the tides have turned…

I don’t want Caleb at MSU, plain and simple.

What are the reasons you’d reclassify to an earlier class? I understand moving back like AJ Turner but moving up seems rare.

Is he looking for an offer from a certain school?
Just wanting to get into college ASAP?

Swanigan was old for 2016. Josh Jackson is another guy who may reclassify.

MSU isn’t going anywhere. 15,16,17 all look promising for them.

well sure…IF Izzo can close the deal on some players.

Swanigan was old for 2016. Josh Jackson is another guy who may reclassify.

Yeah, a lot of times what happens is the parents ‘reclassify’ the student in the 7th or 8th grade. So they end up start high school a year later. You’re a year older than your class, you are bigger, stronger, faster… better looking recruit. Then if you blow up in the rankings, you reclassify back to your proper year. That’s what happened with Andrew Wiggins, as well.

IMO Izzo is scrambling in terms of recruiting. 2013 and 2014 weren't great classes. They weren't horrible but he didn't get any Appling/Harris/Payne caliber guys. And he NEEDS those guys. I think the tides have turned...

The '15 class is the perfect one for Izzo to make a splash, since like you said, his '13 and '14 classes weren’t great (though I do like the freshmen he had this past season and I’d guess his '14 guys will be okay). If he can get Brunson and Swanigan, that would be great for them and set up some really nice PG battles with us. Swanigan vs. our bigs would definitely be a clash of styles.

whoa. do we still go for him?

Limited scholarships for 2015 + young centers already on the team.

You absolutely take him. Much more talented than Donnal or Doyle and 2015 scholarships likely won’t be that limited when all is said and done.

It’s fun to dream, ( mine is Leaf ) but Caleb Swanigan is not coming to Michigan.

It's fun to dream, ( mine is Leaf ) but Caleb Swanigan is not coming to Michigan.

When I spoke with Caleb’s AAU coach, he said Michigan has their work cut out for them. When I asked All Ohio’s assistant coach about Michigan’s chances about Esa and Coleman, he had the exact opposite tone, as if Michigan was in real good shape with both.

Just an interesting observation is all.

Thanks for the input Bear! Unless Caleb has never seen a UM game it would be hard for me to project his supposed fit in JBs system. Bigs get few if any touches here, and I haven’t seen any thing linking him to us lately. If he likes setting high ball screens and hustling for garbage buckets than I will reevaluate my opinion. Hope I’m wrong.

Mitch McGary got plenty of touches. That Trey Burke and Nik Stauskus got more touches than Jordan Morgan or Jon Horford doesn’t mean a talented big won’t get a ton of opportunities. JMo was great in many ways but it wasn’t just a guard-oriented offense that prevented him from getting post touches. The Michigan staff is very good at getting the players they have into positions where they can use their strenghts. If they get bigs with better post-up games, they will take full advantage.