Big Ten Tournament: Michigan vs. Michigan State Open Thread

Man, Marquette-Murray State’s quite a first round matchup.

1 Like

Two big time scorers matched up. Will be a fun one.

that sounds familiar…

Well, this isn’t exactly going to hurt the narrative that UM gets all the breaks from the establishment while MSU gets screwed …

1 Like

Damn Montana again?! And I’m a little nervous about Florida. I think they’ll win that first round game and will be a tough out

I wonder how the Griz faithful feel about playing Michigan again.

2 Likes

I think this was the best region for us. Sparty has the toughest.

2 Likes

I would not be happy if I were them. Beilein’s a great tourney coach AND his staff has already scouted them from last year.

1 Like

Agree. Legitimate opportunity to get to the Final Four again.

I don’t know man that was pretty bad. The first two games I thought the whistle was unfriendly but didn’t really effect the outcome too much , just I’ll timed 50 50 calls that stopped possible comebacks.

Today I felt like they had a string of bad calls go against them. The Winston strip appeared clean, which we were going the other to go up 7 and it turns into a 3 pt game. Then its followed by mcquisd getting the worst call in hoops… when he didn’t even actually shoot. Then a fifty fifty ball that was ruled for us goes to jump ball , followed by a clear attempt to foul Jordan and they don’t even get the one in one chance. That’s really tough and just bad refereeing.

I hadn’t felt that upset at calls in a sporting event since bills-Seahawks a couple years ago. Either way props to state overall in the series this year. They’re good but I felt like we just played really tight and choppy this year against them and they were cooler. I also lost my Michigan future which stung bad. Oh well.

1 Like

It does hurt. I definitely feel like we didn’t need to lose any of those games. My sense on that 50-50 ball was that Teske touched it last but that it was not indisputable.

THIS. THIS. THIS…

1 Like

The issue with the Teske call is that it is called off on the defender 99% of the time during the game. Even though there are some instances where the offensive player does technically touch it last. But it only gets overturned during review situations. Refs almost never ever call it off the offensive player when it’s poked out by the defender.

I think the problem with the review is that they also can’t add a foul. Teske was probably fouled (hit his hand) but the ball went off him. If they could review the foul, I think that would be a loose ball foul with Michigan side out. Because they can’t, have to go with the who touched the ball last, which is frustrating.

I think it probably went off of Teske.

My issue with that stuff is that it’s clearly against the spirit of the game. If player A swipes the ball out of player B’s hands then more times than not the ball is likely to roll off of Player B’s finger last if you analyze frame by frame. But Player A caused the ball to go out of bounds, so it’s always awarded to team B without review in the first 38 minutes of the game.

Now we have these last two minutes of every game where the rule is applied completely different and you’re analyzing a play frame by frame to see which fingertip grazed the ball last. Tillman smacked the ball out of Teske’s hand and caused it to go out of bounds. It should be as simple as that. If Teske touched that ball, then it wasn’t significant enough to change the ball’s path or rotation.

The same thing happened to us last year against Purdue.

6 Likes

This! For the first 38 minutes that is the offense’s ball. In the last two minutes the refs run to the monitor to see if someone farted and changed the rotation of the ball.

Also , I had it muted as l I was at work but did they not rule it a jump ball? I saw him signal that and I lost it more. I was more upset about the mcquaid play and Winston strip. That was just the cherry on top Of the screw job.

It was very confusing – I saw the jump ball signal too, but I’m not sure if it was the “official” call, or a ref just putting up 2 thumbs to let everyone know it was ok to resume play (which I’ve never seen before, but whatever). ESPN play by play says it was a defensive rebound by MSU. If it WAS called a jump ball … that makes 0 sense. The call on the court was UM ball. They review to see if there is indisputable evidence that they got that wrong. A jump ball call is for a situation where they can’t tell one way or the other which, by definition, would not be a situation in which there is indisputable evidence.

Well, he’s not lacking confidence in his own takes.

1 Like

That’s part of why it took me from upset to absolutely disgusted. Honestly I was more upset they gave mcquaud the shots again. Particularly because he didn’t shoot. That rule needs to change. It’s actually an offensive foul most the time.