Big Ten’s top 25 players for 2022-23 season: 15-11

I’m not nitpicking the ranking because 11 feels about right given what else he can bring but I’ll take the under on his junior year stats of 55% 2P and 40% 3P (which I suppose is borderline elite but he only shot two 3Ps a game in conference that year) as a transfer working into a new offense without top 5 talent around him like at Baylor.

I guess now we can throw out names for the HM list with the top 10 solidified in some order (I think). If we’re talking about a sophomore bump for Hepburn then what about BartJ Melendez? Is it a minutes thing with Shannon and Mayer on the roster? Also surprised about Hakim Hart but maybe I’m showing a bias for high efficiency lower usage guys.

True, but that wasn’t what he was interested in cracking

3 Likes

The only two “breakout guys” that we really took were Perkins and Hepburn, I’d say. There’s a long list of potential others but it is really hard to put any money behind them and say this guy over that guy: Geronimo, Akins, Melendez, Furst, Reese, Bufkin, Sandfort.

Hart is a nice player but he’s about to be a senior and I feel like Scott is clearly the go-to guy on that roster if things go according to plan. I also imagine Young taking a Fatts-style role and dominating the ball.

1 Like

I have two more days to prepare myself emotionally for Terrence Shannon to crack the top 5 and feel the hurt all over again.

HD + Shannon + Jett + JL would so clearly be my favorite core in the conference. Ugh

10 Likes

Omoruyi and XJ could be flipped imo.

I’m not disagreeing with your ranking, but how many years past would Hepburn be top 15? That’s more what I’m laughing at.

I think the comparable ranking between him and Hoggard is interesting - one low usage with lots minutes, one high usage with platoon splits.

We know what high usage Hoggard looks like (it’s pretty good on balance?), we have no idea with Hepburn.

1 Like

This is the most lackluster top 25 list in recent memory.

1 Like