Big Ten Roster Movement (Summer 2016)

Winning big cures all.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Ray McCallum out at U-D; Bacari Alexander a candidate?

I had no idea uthoff played for Wisconsin. Imagine if he had been there the last three yeRs. They would have won the title both years imo

Look I like Spike but think about it, has our program hit a all time low that some folks are crying about a BACKUP pg with bad hips transferring who wasn’t expected to be here next year in the 1st place ? We are worst shape than I originally thought.

That’s not a reflection of the shape the team/program is in but a reflection on fans not wanting to let go. Spike had his one shining moment. It’s over move on.

5 Likes

Conveniently forgetting about the Ellerbe and Amaker years?

1 Like

I would gladly take Daniel Horton over what Michigan has gotten from Walton thus far. :slight_smile:

…and?

I think we all would, but I don’t see the relevancy here.

1 Like

I will gladly take Beilein’s results over what we got from Amaker. To each their own, I guess.

4 Likes

Doyle’s HS coach on his departure

“I don’t know that Ricky ever felt it was a good system for him,” Herting said. "You see he’s a natural back-to-the-basket (center). He needs to get the ball on the block, he needs to get to the stripe, and the coach Beilein system is more spread out. More pick-and-pop, which is not really his game. More pick-and-roll but roll with almost like a back cut for the dive, not really a roll and post-up.

“Everybody thought that Ricky might be better suited to a system that’s more suited to him.”

Hopefully Ricky lands on his feet, but I’m not sure all of the problems were related to system.

3 Likes

We were saying the same things about Max.

People dog Bacari it’s not him it JB system & his recruits.

2 Likes

This makes the Davis offer even more of a head scratcher.

1 Like

What’s JB? The B1G titles and the tourney success? Most responsible, yes, but I think Bacari deserves some credit and hopefully he’ll get rewarded for it.

And we were right. Max was the same player he was last year, just shot a few more and better on threes, probably as a result of being healthier and on a better team.

That is my point. Max was put in a better situation to succeed. The skillset was always there to be solid.

Will be interesting to see if Doyle looks better in a different system.

Smotrycz looked the same but put up slightly worse numbers at Maryland.
Horford looked the same but put up slightly worse numbers at Florida.
Bielfeldt looked the same but put up slightly better numbers at Indiana.

I don’t think is much to see here.

1 Like

Smotz looked significantly better his junior year at Maryland. He broke his foot then had a series of other injuries his senior year and never recovered.

After missing the Terps’ first five games and eight of 10 to start the year with a broken left foot, then a sprained left ankle, Smotrycz struggled with his conditioning and timing when he returned in late December. He suffered a hairline fracture in the tip of his right thumb against Michigan State on Jan. 17., a Maryland athletic department spokesman said Friday.

You’re right on Horford. He just wasn’t any good.

Doyle’s career may play out like Horfords. It’ll be interesting to check back on him in a couple of years.

I do wish his dad wouldn’t have said anything that could be perceived negative about JB’s system. Just another source opposing coaches can use when going head to head with JB for a post recruit.

I hate people saying that the system didn’t fit him. Doyle, his family, and his coaches definitely watched UM play before he committed. That’s such a cop out in my opinion. The reason I say that is because it’s true and they didn’t do enough research before committing.

2 Likes

Smot and Bielfeldt did better elsewhere because they got to play the four, not the five. Neither are centers, but Smot was forced to play there because we didn’t have any other viable centers after Sims and Morgan. Bielfeldt, same deal and he wasn’t knocking down shots when he was here so he didn’t justify time at the four.

Sometimes a change of scenery gives you a fresh perspective too. I remember tearing being way better my freshman year of college and I think it was just solely because I was around other people than I was used to in high school. Changed my game, made me better.

2 Likes