Big Ten Roster Movement (Summer 2016)

Can you post a link of it I can not find it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:15109732

I have no respect for that man after he said that college basketball is a parody. He claimed that conference doesn’t matter. Jay Bilas shut that down and said that if you look at the past that power 5 conference in the final 4 are way more then mid-majors (obviously). That mans a joke.

Greenberg is a troll. This is what happens when you don’t have the facts and just start ranting without a true knowledge of the situation. This is why the world is so crazy right now. Everyone jumps to conclusions without knowing the facts in part because they don’t want to know the facts.

If he was smart, he would get Spike or his Dad on the radio to talk. He won’t.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040116aaa.html

This is one of those cases where perception is reality. We know JB isn’t being a bad dude with restricting them from B1G teams, but that’s what writers said for a story and lots of people probably agree.

I don’t think Ricky will hurt us too much down the road at another B1G school but Spike certainly could if he is healthy. Either way, best of luck to both except when they play us.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Just like the recruiting Detroit thing, it may or may not be true, but it doesn’t matter. The overwhelming opinion that is that JB doesn’t recruit inner-city kids (particularly Detroit), and that becomes the narrative whether justified or not.

1 Like

Posted something similar in the other thread. Well said. Shaking my head at the recent JB media blunders.

UM fans are so funny. The majority hoop and holla about the need push a few scholarship players out to other pastures and when it happens they complain about who its done to and how its done (restrictions). No coach would want to face their former players but saying that not really worried about facing either of Spike or Doyle.

For all those clamoring for Spike to be given a 5th year, why. Spike did have the ability to make the offense flow but that still did not eliminate the problems with certain players. Also, as much as Spike was liked because of past performances he does not solve the major issue of defense.

Matter of fact he was also a major culprit when it came to defense (not strong enough and unable to keep his man from going by) on top of that hips that may not hold up for a season (no thank you).

Which Michigan fan is complaining about anything you just said?

Personally I could care less if kids have restrictions or not when they request to transfer.

JB needs to tighten up his approach with dealing with the media though. That’s not just limited to the spike and Doyle situation. Media relations is part of the gig. Managing the perception of the program is part of the gig. There’s room for improvement IMO.

Exactly you can dislike Greenberg and Forde but sometimes perception and the narrative brought forth by the media can be far more damaging when a coach goes public with comments. I agree he needs to have a better approach even going back to Levert it could have been handled better.

1 Like

April fools! Everyone can breathe.

Sad thing is that I suspect we can all identify a few posters who let out a sigh of relief when they saw that and were glad to have the open scholarships.

See this is the problem with the Spike news from a couple days later. Forde getting a lot of credit.

Jeff Rabjohns ‏@JeffRabjohns · 35s36 seconds ago

Good for Spike. And good for @YahooForde for lighting a fire for Spike.

Good point. Instead of looking at this in hindsight as a failure to control damage, Michigan and JB could have used this as opportunity to look good “fighting against the man” for Spike.

1 Like

I honestly don’t see how restricting the transfers from going to a school they play the next year is that wrong. It makes sense, the kids know your stuff and you don’t want to deal with that for the next year. I think if a coaching change is made, then it’s a different story.

I think a lot of that is overblown. A player moving to a different school, different surroundings, new teammates, new coaching staff etc… That player has to get up to date on what the team is doing offensively, and defensively. I think the last of his concerns is telling his team what that team ran prior especially when it’s 1 out of 30 games. If he knows everything and that coach never adjusts or anything then that’s on the coach.

2 Likes

I agree with the restriction in some situations because team stability is important so deterrents in place against a lot of moving around is a good thing unless there is some sort of good reason. With Max and Spike’s situation I disagree with the restrictions 100 percent. The opposing coaches already know our stuff. The ability of the teammates to absorb the knowledge is another issue. Even if JB tried to prepare opposing teams for what he plans to do them it is not going change results much, imo.

Remember Bo Ryan’s much longer, much worse Jarrod Uthoff transfer saga? Nobody else does either. (Although I do think JB and every other coach should’ve taken note, especially when JB knew he couldn’t really stop Spike if he wanted to go somewhere). Anyway, didn’t stop anyone from hanging all over Ryan when he went to the Final Four. Nobody will remember in a week and they’ll be all over Beilein again when he wins a few games.