Big Ten Roster Movement (Summer 2016)

They aren’t going to come out and blame it on him. They need to find a scapegoat for it and that’s the system.

Max played quite a bit of 5 for IU backing up Bryant. More than he played 4 alongside Bryant. Biggest change from Michigan time was hitting threes. Smot did play 4 at Maryland. If he had stayed, he probably would have been moved back to 4 with Mitch coming in. We didn’t miss him, and Maryland was a good spot for him. I don’t think that the change elevated his game much, but, as you say, playing 4 suited his game.

1 Like

The “system” didn’t fit Jon Horford either, then Horford went to Florida and shot worse than he had since his freshman season at Michigan, including more threes than he ever hoisted at UM. He would’ve been better off staying at Michigan, and Michigan would’ve been better off with him. That was a lose-lose transfer, and my sense is that some folks in his life got him to make a decision he regrets, but he’s a smart guy and should be fine.

Max was probably at least a draw-draw, glad it worked out okay for everybody. I hope it works out well for Ricky too.

Sometimes the depth chart or the life-space or the personnel will make other situations better fits for bigs. Overall, though, capable bigs will continue to get opportunities to succeed at Michigan.

1 Like

All that is required from a center in our offensive system to succeed is the ability to set screens, catch the ball, and dunk. If he can’t do that then he won’t be successful in any system.

1 Like

UM’s system requires better passing and court awareness than some systems. I could see some guys being successful in simpler systems where they don’t need as much recognition and can simply be aggressive and follow set plays. And I’m not insinuating that those guys aren’t smart, or whatever, just that some guys especially in high pressure situations will do better in more defined, straightforward systems, less having to read and react.

Also, there are guys who are limited offensively but very good defensively who could thrive at other places but not UM. I’m not sure that any of the recent big transfers out of UM really fit that mold, although maybe we’ll find out differently with Ricky.

1 Like

I have often been frustrated by some of poorly set screens last year. However, rolling and catching the ball cleanly while setting your body up for a quick dunk or layup in one continuous motion is a crucial skill at UM. Donnal has pretty good, quick, clean catches. Doyle does not, unfortunately. Doyle has better post moves than Donnal but they are not as important here. Hence, Donnal’s modest success here and Doyle’s lack of success here.

Lol he certainly didn’t. He was shooting more and playing more minutes, but he certainly didn’t look significantly better (or even better).

From sophomore (Michigan) to junior (Maryland) his FG% dropped from a 48% to 40% and his 3pt dropped from 44% to 37%. Scoring 7.7 ppg on 2.6 of 5.4 shooting is better than scoring 11.0 ppg on 3.8 of 9.4 shooting.

3 Likes

Oh man, I agree. He was not Even a little better at Maryland. He was the exact same player at both schools. Decent but nothing special at all.

2 Likes

JB should give him a look, I like dorsey

Can’t transfer in-conference without losing a year of eligibility.

Will he try to appeal it. This better get attention like spike and Ricky did. I see a fit with him here for his first eligible year with Us backing up x and MAAr and that being his sophomore year of eligibility

No that’s a conference rule, and one that Ricky would have to follow to. I also don’t really see him as a great or likely fit. These sort of stories don’t help either.

Somehow I don’t think Beilein is going to hotly pursue a guard who was suspended after a phone sex video incident.

2 Likes

Vince Edwards going to enter NBA Draft, but not signing an agent. See him likely returning to Purdue.

Has Trimble said anything yet? Izzo says that Davis is 50/50.

Any word on Thomas Bryant

Coaches have to be pulling their hair out. How can they possibly know if they can look at transfers or a kid signing in the spring when they have kids in draft limbo until the end of May? Always keep a scholarship available? They made it tough

3 Likes

But I also think that players should have more time than previous deadline to think about what they want to do. Deadline used to be just a few weeks away. And the deadline used to be before the combine, which makes no sense.

Tough for coaches. But they have some other benefits that student athletes don’t get (ability to move to a new job without sitting out a year at all; pay).

1 Like