Big Ten Open Thread: Week of 1/21/14

Indiana at Michigan State and Purdue at Northwestern tonight
Iowa at Michigan, Wisconsin at Minnesota tomorrow
Illinois at Ohio State and Penn State at Nebraska on Thursday

Payne and Sheehey out tonight.

I’m generally not a gambling man, but I’d be willing to bet a reasonable amount that Mr. Payne is ready to go come Saturday evening.

Will Payne be effective? Plantar fasciitis doesn’t usually go away during a season.

Indiana has a shot here.

Indiana can’t score, but if MSU pulls this against us or Iowa, they can chalk a L early.

So difficult to win at Breslin. How many Ws do we have there in the last 15 years? It’s so amazing what MSU and UM have done without their missing pieces.

I'm generally not a gambling man, but I'd be willing to bet a reasonable amount that Mr. Payne is ready to go come Saturday evening.

Agreed. For some reason he will be ready.

Just got home and watched the second half of Indy-msu on dvr and tuned in for the second OT of Purdue-NW. Wow there are a lot of offensively challenged teams in the B1G. And there are going to be no bubble teams in the B1G. I think there is a decent chance that the B1G only gets five teams in the tournament.

I think Minnesota, Purdue and Ohio St will absolutely be bubble teams.

It’d be funny if Nebraska and NW are actually middle of pack teams this year.

Oops forgot to count Minnesota when I said five teams. I see six getting in…Maybe Minny and OSU end up around the bubble but I think both will end up feeling fairly safe on selection sunday. Minny at least had a somewhat ok out of conference schedule and a win over an FSU team that probably ends up with a good record in the ACC. OSU I think will get their offense figured out enough to finish with a solid B1G record.

Purdue I cannot see getting anywhere near bubble consideration. Their best win to date is either over Illinois or Eastern Michigan and they have several very bad losses on their resume. They would have to make a serious run in the B1G to get consideration and I don’t see that happening.

I have a hard time seeing anyone not named, MSU, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minny or OSU getting in. Illinois and Indiana would be next in my mind, but I think both would have to win 10 or more games in the B1G and with 4 losses a piece right now, thats not looking very likely.

I’m actually more scared to play Purdue on the road than I am Indiana, Illinois and Ohio St. AJ Hammonds has been putting it all together and they have solid crop of guards.

I’m honestly starting to think the B1G is down and the cupcake schedules of Wisc/OSU hid that fact. Lot of season to go but if this turned out to be a two team race between both Michigan schools, I would not be surprised. I still expect Iowa to be there, though.

I’ve been on record as saying the top of the big ten is weaker than last year, but the bottom is actually better.

I'm honestly starting to think the B1G is down and the cupcake schedules of Wisc/OSU hid that fact. Lot of season to go but if this turned out to be a two team race between both Michigan schools, I would not be surprised. I still expect Iowa to be there, though.

OSU definitely had a cupcake schedule, but Wisconsin had some quality wins. Florida and at Virginia stand out. Still think Wisconsin is legit. Road games are tough.

Wisconsin is essentially UM without athleticism in simple terms

Wisconsin is essentially UM without athleticism in simple terms

And height/length.

Now that we’re a third of a way through the B1G schedule, even through the polls might not reflect it, does Michigan look like a top 10 team?

Now that we're a third of a way through the B1G schedule, even through the polls might not reflect it, does Michigan look like a top 10 team?

This feels like a season with multiple plot twist. Probably won’t know who the top ten teams are until mid February.

Michigan State’s Branden Dawson out 4-5 weeks with broken bone in right hand.

holy smokes. that + a Payne playing on plantar fasciitis…