Big Ten Discussion

It will be interesting to see who has the better career between Young and Livers.

Too bad the rest of Ohio State transferred

4 Likes

If we lose to them twice next year Iā€™m gonna lose it. I have no clue how out of the last three years, the one time weā€™ve beaten them was when they had a top 5 draft pick and we had whatever Beilein found in the Crisler broom closet.

4 Likes

Who said it was surprising? My point was more one of frustration that a program which did not make the tourney and just picked up a new coach in the middle of the off season has a higher rated class than Michigan does.

But I am not even even sure what point you are responding to. Do you not expect OSU to recruit well and return to the upper half of the conference?

Agreed. I clearly favored Young but hoping Iā€™m wrong.

Livers can play. Anyone who wins Mr. Basketball in their state is not exactly a bum. I was pro Livers for sure. Rankings in basketball outside of the one and done types donā€™t mean a damn thing in basketball. I have never seen a rankings service an at actual high school game in Michigan. They are all watching the prep school one and dones. Basketball is terribly underscouted IMO.

Maybe? Iā€™m not sure that this is a data point that proves that is what I mean.

Things certainly havenā€™t been going very right for OSU hoops for a while now. I think Holtmann is a good coach, but I donā€™t necessarily think heā€™s going to fix things overnight there.

Iā€™m not sure the Holtmann ceiling is what Mattaā€™s ceiling was, but maybe it is. Weā€™ll find out soon enough.

Young was ahead of Livers going into last summer. He was pretty advanced skill wise but by the end of the summer Livers had mostly caught up and Livers is the better athlete with arguably the higher ceiling because of that. Young is a little undersized at the 4 but probably not quick enough to play the 3, but again, heā€™s really skilled.
Neither will start right away (Young will be behind Tate and Bates-Diop) so we wonā€™t know for awhile but Iā€™m happy UM got Livers in the end. He and Mathews bring athleticism and physicality to a team that hasnā€™t always had that in recent years.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Jeff Meyer to Butler // Coaching Search

A post was merged into an existing topic: Who will be Michiganā€™s leading scorer next year?

OSUā€™s Funderburk now dismissed and incoming commit Beverly released from LOI.
I think theyā€™ll have 8 scholarship players on the roster (2 being freshmen).

Well it looks like Kyle Young will see the floor A LOT!

3 Likes

I am in the dark as anyone about what will happen early w/Holtmann at the helm for OSU. Iā€™m good with Young coming back in state. Not a huge surprise but significant enough. At least some good news from a roster standpoint.
But Holtmann has a ton of work to do overall.
Thereā€™s but a single PG on Ohio Stateā€™s roster for next season. At this point Jaeā€™Sean Tate is the backup. I love Jaeā€™Sean but heā€™s stop gap material as a PG.
Needs to pull Columbus Upper Arlington wing Dane Goodwin back into the fold after he reopened his recruitment. From a public relations standpoint needs to corral a superlative 2018 recruiting class. Turn around the culture of a program whose players appeared okay with losing these past two seasons and do it before practice opens in the fall. Show thereā€™s a distinct difference between the product on court last season and this coming seasonā€™s quality.
Not sure thereā€™s a real chance for a quick turnaround for OSU. Got to do it from the ground up and gradually turn momentum around.

Wow. That program melted down fast. I expect a quick turnaround though. They should be able to recruit at a high level and they have a lot of playing time to sell kids on.

Looks like Dane Goodwin committed to Notre Dameā€¦quick turnaround

Ready to be apart of the family!ā˜˜ļø pic.twitter.com/ARmfvVqMtj

ā€” Dane Goodwin (@danegoodwin23) July 6, 2017

Looks like the Big Ten will have protected rivalries next year: Michigan - MSU, Indiana - Purdue and Illinois - Northwestern

2 Likes

Yeah, this has been rumored for a little bit. Really strange how IU included it in the release in such a speculative tone. Sort of like Michigan just dropping the single plays in its non-conference release.

I like it. It sort of follows the NFL style of having division rivals and non-division games. In addition to MSU Iā€™d like to have one more as well, Ohio State.

Maybe itā€™s a move to force the Big Tenā€™s hand? Or maybe itā€™s just to reduce complaining from their fanbase, lol.