Big Ten Basketball 2021-22 Discussion

Illinois people appear to think they are going to land all the transfers

7 Likes

Skyy Clark committing today btw

That’s what I’m saying! Every single top transfer can’t go to Illinois and besides how much room do they have?

1 Like

there are a lot of guys like Hutcherson and Lieb that they can process

1 Like

I’m not remotely worried about Illinois. They’re a regular season menace and nothing more. If they don’t get Kofi back they’ll need a whole new identity. We’ll wait and see.

1 Like

They’re a regular season menace who has owned us the past couple of years and while they wait on Kofi we wait on Hunter. With Kofi they’re the #1 team in the conference. Without him I am less worried even if they load up on transfers. I think there’s a hard ceiling when you rely too much on transfers. You can plug in 1-2 along with some solid returning players and recruits. Bringing in a whole new team is just really hard.

1 Like

I know you’re not alone but I don’t know how people can feel this way when they destroy us every time we play

3 Likes

I think people are understating how well they are recruiting. Feels like they get a few Top100 players each year.

1 Like

Epps is really good

Can’t argue with that. My point is that I just don’t care too much about a non-rival team (a team that’s basically a meme btw) that has a bunch of roster stuff up in the air, like us.

Their roster situation could settle a ton of different ways, so I’m not gonna think too much about it. According to their fans, they’re going to land every good transfer in the portal. Let’s just let them get all worked up like they always do and we’ll see how they shake out. But it won’t affect us a ton one way or another.

I mean shoot, we’ve been the most successful team in the big ten over the last 2 seasons combined and we haven’t beat them once. They just aren’t that important.

3 Likes

If you do a Torvik slice from when Howard was hired, Michigan comes in 10th. Just a hair behind Iowa (surprisingly) and just a hair ahead of Illinois.

2 Likes

yeah all three of those are surprising to me lol

And MSU 25th.

1 Like

Imagine being worried about a Big ten team.

LOL. l mao even. We could have a 0-10 record against any B1G and I’d still only be remotely worried if they could get past the first weekend.

1 Like

I bet it bothers the team though.

Howard said in 2021 that they used ohio state’s ridiculous celebration after winning over them in 2020 as motivation.

1 Like

I’m sure it does bother them. My point tho is just that Illinois’ roster has a plethora of things that need to shake out. And their fans are not even remotely worth listening to as far as “rumors”. Let’s just be patient and see what all happens before we pump huge stock into them.

They’ve had our number as bad as I’ve seen from any team, I won’t deny that. My point is that it hasn’t really effected Juwan that bad, and hasn’t prevented him from having large success here by any means.

5 Likes

the primary reason i don’t really currently care about the illinois streak is actually two reasons:

1. it hasn’t affected michigan, really, at all.
  2. it seems to make illinois fans really mad that, on top of never considering them our rivals, we also don’t care about this streak

it’s kind of like the MSU football game last year. would i rather have won? yes, definitely! is it extremely funny that we didn’t and still had an amazing season and all msu (illinois) can do is brag over that one game (four games?), thus deepening the stereotypes on all sides? also yes!

11 Likes

It’s actually extremely annoying that they’re being put under the same breath as MSUFB.

Illini fans’ obnoxious behavior has singlehandedly willed this pseudo rivalry into existence, I’ve never seen anything like this, in any sport. Like, Maryland considers themselves Duke’s rivals, and that hatred is still somewhat reciprocated. The only thing similar is how Bayern Munich becomes the biggest rival of every tomdick and harry that even comes close to the top of the bundesliga. But we’re not Bayern ffs, there’s other teams in the conf Illini can bother. Why us man? Who are these people who think we’re in their heads all the time? I’ve just spent a paragraph complaining about them so i guess you can say they’re our rivals now. See! this is what they do, it’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

It all comes from Underwoods loss to M in the tourney when he was at Ok St. They thought they would blow Beilein out.

1 Like

He never once beat Beilein.

1 Like