Big Ten Basketball 2020-21 Discussion (Part 1)

They had a timeout left, no??

Refs swallow the whistle on a pretty obvious foul on the rebound … but you’re probably not getting that call in EL at that point in the game.

2 Likes

How was that not a foul on that missed free throw?

Sparty tried hard to give this game away and PSU just would not accept.

Dread jinxed it by missing a wide open look.

1 Like
1 Like

up 4, couldn’t close. really frustrating especially from the MSU Hater perspective.

2 Likes

MSU’s 4 B1G wins this year have followed the same pattern. Beat Nebraska, and then win the next game at home. Lets see if they follow the trend again by losing the next game home again.

Those Close 2s are the difference. You could have reasonably expected the other way around.

Looks like I dodged a bullet missing this one. What a heart wrenching win

Now they get Iowa in the middle of Franbruary. I have little faith in the Hawkeyes. Prove me wrong Fran.

2 Likes

MSU on a 2-game winning streak, defense rounding into form, Franbruary in full meltdown, last H2H matchup was down to the wire. Doesn’t look good.

2 Likes

That was some ugly basketball in EL tonight and probably one a few times that the broadcast was worse. I usually don’t get hung up on that stuff but they really didn’t seem prepared , they talked about weird stuff. Seems like MSU is just going to muck every game up and try to win games in the high 50’s and mid 60’s.

My own personal betting odds on the next MSU player to “ask to come off the bench”

Josh Langford -200
Marcus Bingham EVEN
Foster Loyer +150
Aaron Henry +250
Rocket Watts again +300

18 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: Can’t wait to see who is next to volunteer after the next sign of adversity.

1 Like

I think this may be their best course of action at this point. They aren’t going to outscore teams and really only won last night because he went all in on defense with the Bingham and Watts subs. Langford also seems to be moving better than earlier in the year. If they went all in with the Watts-Langford-Henry-Hall-Bingham lineup as the primary lineup and tried to keep teams to 60 they might have a chance.

But once Kithier is healthy and Bingham shoots a 3, Bingham will be back in the doghouse. Loyer will have to play because he is the only PG shaped person on the roster and Izzo won’t be able to help himself and will have to play all 12 guys.

How many more wins would MSU need to steal to be in the bubble conversation?

Torvik currently has them winning 3 more games total. I think if they get to 15-11 they have an argument to be a first four type team. Something like, Iowa, Indiana x2, Michigan, @Maryland seems pretty strong and not completely impossible.

I don’t think they have the players to get there, but IF they do, what’s the number?

I would say that would almost certainly get them in. That would get them 5 Q1 wins, combine that with Izzo and the committee would def put them in over a Drake or other team. Don’t think they’d even be a First Four team in that scenario. But if you take any one of those games out I think they’re out.

I agree. It’s just interesting to compare to Duke or Kentucky who have practically no path back in to the tournament barring running the table/conference tournament.

I’m certainly enjoying MSU’s struggles, but they still have an outside chance of keeping their tourney streak alive if they get some big breaks down the stretch.

Just looking at their remaining scheduled games, I think if they went 3-4 they would be in the conversation. 4-3 would seem to almost certainly put them in.

Literally all of their remaining games are Q1-A, so every win they can pick up bolsters their resume pretty considerably especially compared to other bubble teams.