Big Ten announces 7-year media rights deal with CBS, FOX, NBC and Peacock

smh all this discussion about media rights and streaming services and not a single post about what Notre Dame is going to do.

To he11 with Notre Dame!

1. Prey rules, you should see it. Easily as good as Predators, probably better.
  2. These services are always canny about the stuff, but Hulu has 41 million subscribers
slightly more than half would have had to watch it opening weekend in order to get as many eyeballs as, like, Thor Love & Thunder, which seems pretty doubtful. Peacock has roughly 1/4 the subscriber base as Hulu (and dropping)
4 Likes

That releasing to a max audience of 40 million paid subscribers will be inherently limiting to viewership. Even more when the audience is 10.5 million, which is Peacock’s base.

1 Like

FWIW looks like there’s some 80M cable subscriptions and 130M households.

What do you dislike more - Peacock or Marvin Bagley? đŸ«Ł

3 Likes

I feel like people rushed to get Peacock so they could continue to binge watch “The Office”. But they didn’t have a TON more to offer that people were clamoring for.

Maybe B1G athletics will keep them afloat until the inevitable takeover of smart TVs in every household. I have to imagine that the future of television was considered when this move was made (along with the $$$$).

1 Like

You’ll still need BTN

1 Like

Just happy to cut ties with ESPN. As soon as the B1G content is gone, ESPN is gone from my household. BTN is in as many households as ESPN right now, no way I saw that coming.

What is the Big10 going to do with the $7 billion?

Players are still not being paid directly by the schools or conferences and so none of that money will flow to them.

None of this seems to benefit fans. Will ticket prices come down? Doubt it. And now I have to have some convoluted package of cable, Peacock, Peacock+, BTN. And most likely pay more for it than I do now. Will we have less ads or more ads? I am really tired of the guy in the red hat.

And so that leaves us with school administrators, ADs and their beaurocrats, and coaches. Seems to me the only group that benefits from the $7 billion.

9 Likes

Yeah, this deal isn’t likely going to benefit fans in any way other than we MIGHT get access to more content if you get all the various streaming services. The red-hat guy is going to be out there even more than ever before to justify what these networks paid for the content. Somehow the EPL can go commercial free as the biggest sport in the world but we’re going to get more commercials than actual plays.

As a parent who just dropped his oldest off for his freshman year of college I would LOVE if this money helped offset insane tuition, or the cost of my season tickets, or benefited students or athletes directly

But alas

It’s just one streaming service, right?

The argument for the money benefitting fans will be that the programs they are fans of will be better positioned to succeed than those in other leagues with smaller media deals.

2 Likes

thing is, this money has never translated to on court success for the B1G lol

Out of the ACC, SEC, and B12 the B1G places last in recruiting in both sports if we take composite ranking.

Give Michigan a billion a year and we’re still not landing Paolo Banchero or even Malachi Smith.

1 Like
5 Likes
6 Likes

There is an argument that while the money does not go directly to players, it can create a competitive advantage through facilities, amenities, and other support for the athletic programs. The ways that big programs spent money on athletics before NIL are still the ways that the B1G will likely spend the money from the new media rights deal.

1 Like

What does NW and Purdue even do with all this money?

1 Like
2 Likes

So here’s what I want to see: A media commercial (Paid for by some third party I guess) with CJ Stroud, Hunter Dickinson, Caitlyn Clark or Ashley Owusu, and Anna Smrek standing together with stacks and stacks of (faux) money all around therm with a sign that says “7 billion dollars” in front of the money, and then the four just say. “Just. Pay. The. Players”.

I guess the issue is that Stroud and Dickinson are already getting well paid through NIL so maybe you need some more Olympic sport athletes but nobody probably would recognize them. You do need some recognizable faces.

3 Likes

It’s funny to see Kevin Warren talking about ensuring college athletics are around 100 to 200 years from now when the model has changed so drastically in the past few years. What will college athletics look like in just 20 years?