Big Ten announces 7-year media rights deal with CBS, FOX, NBC and Peacock

Anyone with comcast internet gets peacock for free, so I don’t think there will be an exposure issue

1 Like

Not sure how you’ve connected Peacock with NY and Cali. Ratings in individual areas don’t matter. And I’m not sure adding TV regions like with Rutgers matters anymore either. The idea wasn’t to make people in NYC watch, it was to force people in NYC pay for the cable package even if they don’t watch. I don’t think it matters that people on the East Coast won’t watch a UCLA vs. Iowa basketball game.

4 Likes

Just added Paramount as a client, they are planning to overhaul their content library (and maybe interface?) in 23-24

6 Likes

One thing price wise is, that a majority of the B1G football inventory can now be had for $5. You can get Fox/CBS/NBC free, add Peacock and you have all the big games and a good amount of other games

2 Likes

I’m not positive I’m getting your point here, but the Tour was on cable this year (which is how I watched it every day).

2 Likes

anyway, I hope that switching between channels becomes easy, but even now YTTV has the ability to insert a commercial when you switch channels, which has the power to make monitoring two games at once pretty bad. each of these companies has the same incentive they always had (i.e. make as much short-term money as possible), but now they have the technology to do it extremely obtrusively. maybe they’ll do better because fans get upset, but maybe not! it’s not (solely) going to be a “the technology isn’t good enough” issue; it’s going to be a “the technology is too good for the broadcasters” issue.

this isn’t a big ten-specific problem, though, and it’s obviously going this way no matter what. I’m just past the point of thinking “fans will hate this, so they’ll improve it”

3 Likes

Hopefully B10 basketball doesn’t start to become as niche as like the Big East is

One league is made up mostly of small private colleges and the other is made up mostly of large national universities.

3 Likes

The consumer in many places, all the streaming services have been rapidly increasing costs and if you know how to negotiate/play the game traditional bundle cable packages are cheaper or equal and its more reliable and theres no delay.

1 Like

I’m wondering if having the Peacock will be sufficient to watch these games, or if adding the Peacock Premium will also be necessary.

Hopefully the interface is overhauled. I’ve found it buggy.

1 Like

I will purchase Peacock and Peacock Premium, but I have to draw the line at Peacock Plus.

7 Likes

If i was the b1g and was going stream that many games, i wish they would have sold national weekend games to fox and cbs, then sold the rest of the week day games to apple or amazon on a shorter term deal. They probably would have payed quite a bit above market and it would have been a really good trial balloon for moving more content to streaming and seeing if the extra money is really worth it.

Given Peacock did -$500M in EBITDA last Q, I think Comcast is going to feel the need to push as many Xfinity customers as possible into some kind of paying tier. Or start doing their accounting very differently. The rumors are certainly out there.

2 Likes

The chicken is said to be a nervous bird. I think it’s possible that the peacock will prove to be a dirty bird.

2 Likes

Yeah was definitely thinking they will raise prices in some way. Most streamers raise prices after a couple years. So by the time they have games it will likely be more than $5. But hoping it’s still free to a Xfinity customers :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Oh sure, well this is much more about “bang for your buck” as far as monetizing content. Is a non-national broadcast CBB game worth more in advertising or as part of a subscription scheme?

Selling something that a subset of people need/want directly to them makes a lot of sense IMO.

What point are you making on Prey vs Theater Releases?

I would’ve thought that the bundle was part of the point and that content delivery couldn’t possibly be that expensive. I can’t get thru quarterly earnings reports wo my eyes glazing over so maybe it’s totally wrong to assume their incentives are toward unbundling? Maybe there’s a Stratechery post out there that I missed that can speak to it.

In any case, I think the better thing to assume is that 5-10 years from now things will be different. Predicting whether or not that is good for consumers seems a lot harder. Regardless, I certainly am not looking forward to spending incremental dollars to watch games on Peacock given my already hefty YTTV + streaming bill. It being free to Comcast customers does nothing for me considering I’m not their customer bc they were so awful. And, more broadly, I resent the B1G turning my fandom into an exercise in calculating the exact margin where cost = benefit.

3 Likes

Not sure that I would call $15-20 (to span the relevant parts of a basketball season) an “investment”. I don’t want to do it, but it’s also not a big deal.

2 Likes