2021 NBA Playoffs

Thats semantics, some would say its a burnout. Regardless a big reason beilein resigned is because he realized that coaching in the nba was not just coaching(actually realized most nba players dont like being coached or praticing) like he thought. He couldnt handle the ego management that exists.

Well, everyone wondered how Beilein would transition to coaching multimillionaires with little interest in focusing on the core principals and skill development that is a staple of his coaching. Needless to say…it didn’t work out. Not sure I’d classify that as not being able to handle it, rather more of a philosophical basketball difference that wasn’t completely supported by the front office (and then…let’s be honest, he lost player and management support after his slip of the tongue - no coming back from it).

4 Likes

I’d have been bitter about this for YEARS if we didn’t luck into Juwan.

7 Likes

Right it’s not burnout when you say what he said. It’s not burnout when you decide not to learn certain things that are a big no no in the NBA such as asking your team to practice on Christmas Day.

2 Likes

Yikes. I never heard that one. Lot of criticisms of Beilein coming out of his stint with the Cavs. Some of that was probably unfair, but I’d very much put this in the “fair” camp.

2 Likes

I see Brad Stevens was named President of Basketball Operations for the Celtics replacing Danny Ainge who retired. I know there’s been mention on the NCAA thread of why Duke or other D1 schools haven’t approached him for HC jobs at the D1 level. Now it looks that will never happen anytime soon.

Big ball versus Small ball in the Mavs Clippers game. Mavs going with Boban and Porzingis (and a 2-1-2 zone?). Clippers with Batam at center.

1 Like

I said this a few months ago but after Michigan beating Louisville in the 2017 NCAA Tournament I didn’t have Donovan Mitchell NBA superstar on a bingo card. I thought he would be a pretty good NBA guy but not this.

3 Likes

Yeah interesting by the Mavs to have 2 of Kristaps, Boban, and Dwight Powell out there for most of the game. I think the initial hope was that Boban would crush Morris so badly the Clippers would blink (they didn’t).

They got nothing defensively from Kristaps of Cauley-Stein the last two games so giving Powell, who has decent mobility, a look was worthwhile.

In our interests, Tim was the second banana with 20, but it took 19 shots and 5-5 from the line to get there. Offensively, the game was really 44 minutes of Luka brilliance (they were -10 in the 4 minutes he sat).

1 Like

THj did have a steal, deep three and steal on consecutive possessions down the stretch and a big rebound and free throws to seal it.

*I think. Dorian Finney Smith wears 10 and Hardaway 11 and they look the same with similar builds from a distance so I get them confused all the time.

6 Likes

Hardaway hit a huge 3 and iced it with a couple free throws after a tough rebound…so even though he can be inefficient, he’s still the second best scorer on that team. Not sure if Porzingis is hurt or it’s just a bad fit with Luka being ball-dominant, but he sure does disappear. If Dallas was able to move Porzingis for a better fit and keep Hardaway (who really does play well off of Luka), they would have some great potential.

*edit: you beat me to it!

3 Likes

Yeah I didn’t mean to say Tim didn’t do important things, just that his overall game wasn’t that efficient.

The funny thing about the Mavs that’s been true for three years now is that their biggest +/- rabbits foot other than Luka is Dorian Finney-Smith…they are always significantly better when he plays (though he’s mostly gotten roasted by George for four straight games). Funny because DFS has a…”low key” statistical profile.

1 Like

Lmao yep. Pretty much every Mavs game I watch I have to do at least one double take. Doesn’t help that Tim wore number 10 at Michigan, I think.

4 Likes

I’m 100% in agreement…constantly getting them confused. Not only did Hardaway wear #10 at Michigan, he also wore it in Atlanta. ALSO, his dad wore #10 when he was in Dallas too! (He was both #3 and #5 for the Knicks).

3 Likes

That is a nice picture featuring Tim Hardaway Jr. in the foreground. Here is a nice picture featuring Tim Hardaway but with other people in the foreground.

3 Likes

man those uniforms were so ugly. thank god the adidas era is over.

5 Likes

Yup. I don’t LOVE what we have now, but definitely HATE what we had then.

1 Like

I disagree with both of you on the unis. IMO to each his own.:grinning:

4 Likes

Those Adidas unis weren’t even AAU worthy. Amateurism at its best with a tear away component to them.

You preferred the adidas? You are definitely in the minority on that one…

1 Like