2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Can see how much models love age as a variable here, for one.

1 Like

Homer glasses have had me wondering the same thing about Kispert all year. Heā€™s a quarter inch taller than Livers, but 2 inch less wingspan. I know on the recent podcast Dylan and Brendan pointed out Liversā€™ body fat was ā€œhighā€ (LOL) at 9.4%, but foot injury rehab is going to limit your ability to train and get cut before the combine. Kispert isnā€™t significantly more athletic where he translates to a better defender in the NBA.

Maybe you can say his shot is better, but put Livers on a team with Suggs, Ayayi, and Timme going against WCC teams and heā€™s getting way more open looks every game than he saw in the Big Ten. I donā€™t see the clear advantage of Kispert in the teens compared to Livers, or even Wieskamp, at the back end of the 2nd round.

1 Like

Kispert also had games like 32 pts 9-13 from 3 against Virginia this year. He absolutely lit it up for Gonzagaā€™s nonconference stretch against great competition.

That said Iā€™m also in the boat that he isnā€™t a lottery pick. Maybe Iā€™m just bad at it, but it seems really hard to project elite shooters in the draft, and if Kispert ā€˜justā€™ is a great shooter and hits 40%, he probably isnā€™t a starter or worth a lottery pick.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll defend Kispert a bit. I wouldnā€™t want him top 10 but late lottery to 20 feels right. He makes a lot more sense for good teams than bad teams, but I think he could have played minutes immediately for a team like the Bucks, Hawks or Suns and hit shots.

23 against Kansas (8-13, 3-8)
25 against Auburn (9-14, 4-8)
19 against West Virginia (6-11, 2-4)
32 against Virginia (11-15, 9-13)

He basically played his worst stretch of ball all season in the NCAA tournament and still shot 46% from the field, 42% from three and averaged 16 PPG. Once you get past the super high upside types, heā€™s one of the higher floor options as a complimentary piece in this draft, IMO.

2 Likes

In a 2014 redraft Joe Harris would be about a late lottery pick, yeah. Again, poking holes in guys from the one or two games you saw them is wildly irresponsible from an evaluation perspective. Homer would be the right word LOL. Kispert shot 41/93 from 3 in KenPom Tier A games last year and 20/51 in them the year before.

Heā€™s 8 months younger than Livers, his stats at finishing at the rim are a lot better, and his shooting from 25+ feet is quite a bit better. I would take Kispert in the 13-20 range

2 Likes

my big board:

1. Franz Wagner
2. Isaiah Livers
3. Chaundee Brown
4. Mike Smith
60. Corey Kispert
21 Likes

Iā€™m with you Boutros!!

1 Like

Whereā€™s Austin Davis?

5 Likes

Austin Davis is 6.

Jesus Christ is 5!

6 Likes

What a shock.

7 Likes

You have those backward.

Hey, that looks a lot like my 2021 list of 5-stars! I wonder if weā€™re using a similar methodology.

1 Like

But how will we know that Weaver is the smartest person in the room?

1 Like

Been listening to the Duncā€™d On scouting report for Cade and itā€™s good to be reminded what a great floor he has. The height + solid athleticism + shotmaking means that even if he isnā€™t a star youā€™re gonna be real happy to have him. There are some things to nitpick but I havenā€™t seen a OAD w/ that kind of easy shooting skill.

They also brought up Tatum as a shotmaking comp and reminded me that his FT% vs. 3FG% was the thing where the light went on as far as that goes in evaluation. I think itā€™s fair to ding Franz bc you can see his shot just isnā€™t classic form? But loooots of luck there too and his FT% suggests heā€™s prob at least an average NBA shooter.

2 Likes

Speaking of Franz.

4 Likes

Iā€™m so happy that Cade will be a Piston. The Pistons will finally have a genuine homegrown star.

11 Likes
22 Likes

Put some respekt on Darkoā€™s name.

1 Like

Nuggets take Ayo if they donā€™t trade out of their pick. You heard it here first.

Hey now, wildly irresponsible evaluations are my specialty here.

1 Like