2021 NBA Draft Discussion

30.4%

Jeez. Are you planning on doing any draft content?

Not really. You mean about Franz/Isaiah? It isnā€™t really something I follow closely or know much about to be honest.

1 Like

Perhaps you or one of your staff writers could link up with an NBA guy and do more of a back-and-forth Q&A? #offseasoncontent

About Franz and Isaiah? Or some other part of the NBA Draft? In the past, Iā€™ve generally found there isnā€™t a ton of interest in guys after they declare.

1 Like

Unless your a big who can be the engine of a top notch offense, I am not taking one in the top 5. Guards and wings are just so much more valuable in todayā€™s nba. Ayton, Bagley, wiseman and jaren Jackson were great prospects too but trust me those teams regret passing on trae young, Michael porter, gilgeous-Alexander, doncic, ball etc.

2 Likes

I think itā€™d be cool to get opinions on Franz and Isiah along with some other guys in the draft

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I was thinking too - and I guess whether Chaundee has a chance. If thatā€™s not enough content, depending on who the NBA person was that you collaborated with you might be able to talk about Houstan, Diabate, and Dickinson as future pro prospects. Or you could talk about how the G-league prospects are going to fare and the long term impact to college/draft/etc. Beyond that maybe the topic of Michigan alums getting new contracts (Iggy, Moe, GR3, Burke, DJ, etc.)

Feels like if you found your NBA counterpart blogger that a good cross-over Q&A could be good content for both of you.

1 Like

Iā€™m not worried about the Pistons passing on Cunningham, lol. I wouldnā€™t take Suggs over Green or Mobley even is Hayes isnā€™t on the roster. It only seems like a potential issue if the Pistons pick at #4 and Suggs is still there. Given the perceived drop off between Suggs and the next prospect, the Pistons either have to take him or trade down.

2 Likes

See, I think Suggs and Hayes could potentially exist, with Suggs as the 2 and secondary ball-handler. I realize he didnā€™t shoot that great overall at Gonzaga, but I think itā€™s something heā€™ll do well (and could benefit by catching and shooting more).

Itā€™s the next guy on my list (Barnes) that would be a no-go - heā€™s basically a carbon-copy of Hayesā€™ strengths and weaknesses (not saying heā€™s the same level prospect (I think heā€™s better than Hayes), just that theyā€™re kind of the same guy).

Iā€™m personally afraid of guys who are all measurables and little production (like Keon Johnson, and Ziaire Williamsā€™ production was even worse).

Iā€™d go Moody, personally, if it got there, but I doubt it will.

If Pistons have the 4th pick, Iā€™d sprint to the podium to draft whichever player in that top 4 hasnā€™t been picked yet. No way am I passing on any of those guys. Not even a thought that crosses my mind. You donā€™t pass on Suggs because you worry about his fit with Killian. Suggs has potential to be special. 5th is where you start having decisions to make (although personally Iā€™d take Kuminga and wouldnā€™t have a decision until 6).

6 Likes

I think Suggs and Hayes can play together too. Both really get after it on defense and are 6ā€™4ā€/6ā€™5ā€. Plus the Pistons could use another player that can set others up.

2 Likes

I find it so interesting that Kuminga was considered to be in the same tier as the top 4 but his stock has fallen that he is no longer in that tier by some. If NBA draft for potential, Kuminga is absolutely in that same tier but the big question remains if he can shoot and have a decent feel for the offensive flow of the game.

Out of the top 5 prospects, only Cade has proven that he can shoot on a consistent basis which is interesting.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s because the other four have that same kind of potential and also proven several aspects of their game consistently. I have questions about any of the top 4 becoming stars but I donā€™t have many questions about any of them being quality NBA players for a long time. Kuminga has the potential to be as good or better than the other four, but this floor is lower. But his potential is so great that it separates him from 6th and beyond.

I think virtually any team likely to draft in this part of the draft should take Cunningham, Green, Mobley, Suggs, Kuminga (your order on the final three here may vary, thatā€™s mine) regardless of who they have on the roster.

My personal board would go Barnes, Moody after than but I see why those two could be mixed based on who is on the roster.

1 Like

The crazy thing to me is that there are so few guys that seem like long-term NBA ā€œstarsā€ in this draft. Not necessarily HOF or even all-star guys, just regular starters who are one of the top three players on their team.

On top of that, there are so few guys that have proven they can hit a 3ā€¦which is a skill most NBA teams want in 4 guys who are on the court at any given time.

I tend to agree with the consensus that Cade is the clear #1, the next three guys (Mobley, Green, Suggs) are in the second tier and everyone has their own opinion about the order, and then it gets murky with Kuminga the low floor / high ceiling sixth guy and a total unknown after that.

2 Likes

If youā€™re in the top 5-7, you absolutely should draft for potential. You only have so few chances of getting an genuine star at the top of the draft. Drafting known quantities aka most likely be a role player wonā€™t help you win championships. You need stars which is why they draft players with high potential. Kuminga has that star potential that should keep him in the top 5, but I get if they think he wonā€™t be one because of shooting and offensive feel.

2 Likes

I personally think Kuminga becomes great but the second half of his G league scared me a bit, he looked amazing the first four games and I loved him at the Patrick school. Some of his shot selection is the issue imo but heā€™s also not an elite shooter at this time. He does have elite traits imo though and can go get a basket for himself which is essential in the nba.

I do find a lot of these mock drafts ridiculous though. I just saw one with someone sending Mobley to the Pistons, lol. Why would the Pistons take a big after taking stewart and when they clearly need a creator on the wing, preferably a sg? Makes no sense.

I also someone saying Mobley to the Magic on sportsline. Lol, what? Do they even watch the Nba or look at rosters? The Magic just picked up Bambaā€™s option and traded for Wendell Carter, but yea theyā€™re going back to the well for another bigā€¦ Even if you think Mobley is a four and Carter can play it as well, it still makes no sense and Iā€™m not sure their not both small ball fives, Iā€™m pretty positive Carter is. Lots of other suspect picks too, but too many to write.

The 76ers drafted Embiid and Okafor with back to back number 3 picks. None of those guys are franchise center pieces as centers, so none of them would make a team pass up on Mobley for somebody lower on their board.

1 Like

Is that supposed to be a positive example? The Okafor pick was terrible for a number of reasons haha

2 Likes