2021 NBA Draft Discussion

I’d like him if Pistons were drafting later. He’s a big dropoff from the top guys though and he can’t shoot.

1 Like

But the top guys drop off at 5 (debatedly 4 on how u feel abt Kuminga), anyway so is there that big a gap between say Moody/Franz and Bouknight?

1 Like

Seems really early in the process to have singled out a player you like at a spot you’re not all that likely to draft in. Gotta wonder what they really have in mind.

6 is the highest likely percentage spot to be fair lol

1 Like

52% shot at a top-4 pick tho

Let’s hope haha. But I do understand preparing for the worst when it seems pretty obvious who the top four are for the Pistons.

3 Likes

I haven’t figured out my preference at #6 yet. That would be a complete and utter disaster if Pistons end up there though. This draft is loaded at the top and Pistons have the second worst record. I realize the odds aren’t unreasonable that they end up there, but it would be quite the hit to the rebuilding process to not get any lottery luck for a change.

2 Likes

Trust me I know lol. Perfect tanking szn just to result in the 6th pick

Agreed. Just trying to put myself in Weaver’s shoes here…

If the Pistons do end up at 6, it’s pretty much open season on the next tier of prospects. Pistons have 20% chance of landing #6 overall so there’s still a decent chance that they could end up in that spot.

1 Like

Yeah I see no reason that Barnes has that much more star upside than a guy like Moody. In fact I view them pretty similarly as far as having high floors because of good defense and a good offensive skill (shooting for Moody, playmaking for Barnes). For either to reach a star level they’d have to really expand their game past what has been shown so far. And Barnes athleticism isn’t elite enough for me to bank on him over Moody

2 Likes

Yeah, the lack of top athleticism is what makes me cool on Barnes. Figure if you’re going to get a guy that can’t shoot just take a freak athlete like Keon Johnson. (The Pistons already have two Keon Johnsons on the roster so I wouldn’t take him either.)

1 Like

He shot 35% from deep his freshman year on 2.5 attempts per game. Might be a matter of shot selection. But I will admit I haven’t watched him much, so I don’t know if he’s got a funky shot or what the reason for the drop off between year one and two was.

2 Likes

My potentially unpopular opinion is that if I am the Pistons, I do not allow Killian Hayes’ presence to impact me taking the best player I can .

Bouknight…I will admit I didn’t watch him play, but his stats certainly don’t enthuse me.

1 Like

I read some crazy stat that Bouknight had only 8 open shots all season. Or something like that that pointed to him having to generate everything for himself. I think the upside with him is that he might have been held back by he talent around him plus his elbow injury.

1 Like

I don’t really factor it in too much. I would without hesitation take Cunningham or Suggs and make it fit. But I also think there’s a much higher likelihood that Hayes could fit in with them. With Barnes, I just have trouble seeing a functioning offense unless one of them becomes a good shooter. And there is a solid chance that neither do.

I think with Moody/Hayes, the upside of the team is higher than Barnes/Hayes.

Bouknight could be a fit too from what I’ve read. But I can’t pretend to know much about him compared to some other prospects.

At the end of the day, I hope we are in the top 4-5, so the pick is fairly certain to be a very good to great prospect.

This drew my attention and I had to look up what you were referring to.

I think the stat is probably that he was just 2-of-9 on "unguarded’ catch and shoot jumpers per Synergy. He was also just 6-of-28 on “guarded” C&S jumpers. I don’t like putting a ton of stock in those numbers especially at small samples.

Basically, those stats tell me a) he’s a bad jump shooter off the catch and b) he almost never took catch and shoot jumpers (37 all year).

He was better as an off the dribble jumper guy (33%/41 eFG) and it does tell you something that he took almost 2x as many OTD jumpers as C&S.

3 Likes

But was Bouknight not operating as the primary creator most of the year, therefore limiting his large amount of C&S jumpers?

1 Like

Didn’t watch enough UConn to really know in depth. He wasn’t a creator (for his teammates) but he definitely created a lot of his own shots.

1 Like

By curiosity, what was his usage rate?

2 Likes