2021 NBA Draft Discussion

I want Cade, Green or Suggs for the Pistons. In that order. I don’t think Mobley makes sense either. I like their front court with Stewart, Grant and Bey.

3 Likes

Hinkie wanted KP but the ownership overruled him. It would’ve been an interesting pairing with Simmons, KP and Embiid but KP fits well with all of them in terms of skills and spacing.

1 Like

Oh yeah I know the story well. Crazy how so many things went wrong for the 76ers but they still are here as the 1 seed. Proves it’s all about getting as many shots as you can at the top of the draft

3 Likes

Proves that Hinkie was right about it but the NBA hated the process. It’s the only time where the entire fanbase were united on tanking.

3 Likes

Before falling into the OMG 353 EARLY ENTRIES… remember that seniors had to technically “declare early” and many of those guys aren’t getting picked.

1 Like

Cunningham shot 40% on 5.7 3s per game at Oklahoma State. Jalen Green shot 37% on 5.7 3s per game in the G League. Cunningham was 85% at the line, Green 83% at the line. Cunningham played more games so had more volume, but against a lower level of competition IMHO than the G League.

3 Likes

I think competition is debatable…but the line is further away in the G-League.

2 Likes

The competition isn’t debatable at all right? What’s the debate? College players are better than GLeaguers? Maybe a handful of them (the ones that will go on to be decent players as rookies), but the average GLeaguer is considerably better than the average HM conference player. There’s no debate there

9 Likes

I agree that it could be debated but I don’t think it is particularly close. KenPom called OK State’s median opponent this year about as good as Indiana. G League is full of guys like Iggy Brazdeikis and Tyler Cook and any number of other former college stars that aren’t quite good enough for a regular NBA rotation spot, but are likely far better than they were in college and are playing for their careers.

Average G-League team would be favored over any college team if they played.

6 Likes

If anyone is debating on if a college team is better than a G League team go look at the rosters from this year’s G League bubble. It’s chock full of former stars in CBB. The best of the best. It’s not really debatable which league has more talent.

9 Likes

There’s no debate. The competition in the G-League is significantly better.

12 Likes

Yeah the talent level in college is not comparable to the G League. But, the better spacing and pace probably helped Green a little. Having Jarret Jack next to you is better than anything Cade had.

1 Like

Having every non G League ignite player in the league was arguably better than nearly every player on OK State’s roster. That’s just how much talent is in the G League.

1 Like

Fair enough…I can’t say I’m any expert in the G-League. I do agree that you get a lot of good college players in the league and that means more talent overall. Maybe what I’m trying to say is that there are other competitive factors that are impossible to judge such as whether his Ignite teammates set him up better than Cade having to carry OSU or whether the G-League has talent but suffers from a bit of unstructured “I’m going to get mine” or “defense optional” style of basketball on a given night where there may be more stat padding then in a college game.

Either way, I wasn’t trying to take ANYTHING away from those stats. If Green is on par with Cade as a shooter given the differences in their two situations, then he projects to be a very good shooter at the NBA level. I’ve always had him as my #2 for the Pistons behind Cade and ahead of Mobley and seeing these shooting numbers cements that for me. Mobley is #3.

better players for sure but the games are less meaningful.

I think they’d pass honestly but we will see. I’d be shocked if the Magic or Pistons draft a center. Particularly the Pistons after Stewart has shown very well this year.

The Magic adding Mobley with Bamba and Carter there would be a grave mistake IMO. They just dealt for one and picked up the option on the other. With the players available in these scenarios and the Magic’s true issues , it would be pretty silly.

2 Likes

the games are more meaningful for draft evaluation and status. The only way they are less meaningful is that there are fewer fans caring about the outcome.

1 Like

They’re probably meaningful for people trying to play their way into the league.

I think that’s the question at hand. Guys like Iggy, Manny, or Stauskas lighting up the G-League does indicate that there’s talent there perhaps beyond what is in the NCAA. But when I see Stauskas average 18ppg on 37% shooting from the outside and taking 9 threes per game I do wonder about the structure of the league and how much defense is being played.

Maybe it means that Nik, a borderline NBA guy, is an indication that everyone in the G-League is pretty good. Or maybe it means that the G-League has a lot of games where it is the old UNLV teams of run-and-gun with limited defense and lots of shooting and scoring.

Not worth arguing - the G-League is a tough league with lots of good players. The P6 teams in the NCAA also play a lot of tough games. Both Green and Cade are great prospects with tons of upside…and also still have a fair amount of risk. I’d take either of them if I were the Pistons.

1 Like

I always enjoy The Ringer’s draft guide. This year’s is posted:

They have Franz slotted at 8 with comps of Lamar Odom, Danilo Gallinari, and Xavier Tillman.

Surprisingly, they list shooting as a plus attribute (and the first one, if that’s meaningful).

3 Likes