2021 NBA Draft Discussion

I said during the Elite 8 that I’d prefer Suggs to Mobley (and Green as well). But all three are just scratching the surface, and I think only Green has superstar (scoring) potential, other than Cade.

With that said, I’ve come around to accepting the Pistons drafting Mobley if he’s who management wants. He’s going to be around a long time in this league.

1 Like

Givorny has an updated Mock up on ESPN. Everything based on the current draft order by Ws and Ls, so caveats apply. But, of note:

8(!) Franz
18 Moses Moody
23 Ayo
33 Aaron Henry
39 Josh Christopher
49 Johnny Juzang
50 Isiah Todd
51 Livers (going to the Pistons)
55 Garza

8 Likes

Out of curiosity, who does he have taking Franz? And is this he prediction, or “what he would do?”

I just wonder because Givony is obviously really connected, so I’m curious if this is a work of reporting or scouting.

If Moody lasted that long, that team is getting a steal. I think he’s going to be a very good player in the league for a long time. Not a creator, but pretty much a guaranteed solid 3&D wing.

6 Likes

He has NOLA taking Franz- “New Orleans had a disappointing season defensively…Enter Wagner, one of the best off-ball defenders in the draft, who also brings promising passing and shooting indicators… that suggest a very high floor as the type of two-way, role-playing combo forward every team covets.”

12 Likes

Moody is properly ranked here. Top 6-7 is crazy to me.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think Moody will be good. But won’t be Bradley Beal.

1 Like

Moody is another guy who is so young that the kind of success he’s already had is probably worth a lot more than people realize.

I think Moody is easily one of the safest bets to be a good player in this draft class and it isn’t really close. 3 and D and extremely efficient and can easily play alongside other elite players. In fact, the better the players beside him the better he is. He was awesome and extremely underrated/appreciated at Montverde. Not saying he will become this perennial all star but there are so many high level players who aren’t all stars and I think he can get into that territory.

3 Likes

You’re probably right but I’ve actually made the Beal/Moody comparison a bit when discussing this class with buddies. Their college #s are super similar. If the nightmare scenario happens for the Pistons I really want Moody at the 6th pick. Worst case he’s a good 3 and D guy but I think he has some high upside as a complimentary scorer in the league.

College #s:

Beal - 14.8 PPG 6.7 RPG 2.2 APG
44% FG 33% 3FG 76% FT

Moody - 16.8 PPG 5.8 RPG 1.6 APG
42% FG 36% 3FG 81% FT

2 Likes

The thing that keeps me from fully making the Beal comparison is that he didn’t seem able to get by people at Arkansas.

1 Like

I have him 6th on my board. I think Scottie Barnes is a better player but doesn’t fit with the Pistons roster nearly as much.

1 Like

I think Barnes is a better pick if you’re chasing a guy who may turn into a star but Moody has a significantly higher floor. If Barnes can’t learn to shoot, he won’t be worth a starter a lot.

1 Like

Moody still has a lot of star upside. Guys can add so much by the time they’re 23.

1 Like

Moody was awesome. Just overwhelming physically at NCAA level. If I’m drafting at 8-12, I’d pick physical traits over skill. It’s hard for me to see Moody fall to high teens.

2 Likes

He’s best with the ball in his hands, but so is Hayes. And Hayes isn’t a good shooter yet, so it would be an ugly offense to watch with both of them IMO. I think Cade (obviously) or someone like Suggs could be dual creators with Hayes because they can also shoot. But Moody can slot right into the team with a pretty defined role and his floor, as you said is probably fairly high. I also think he has some potential as a secondary creator a few years down the line and his ceiling is still pretty high.

Btw heavy rumors that the Pistons love James Bouknight at 6

Well let’s hope the Pistons don’t end up at 6 then

11 Likes

Yup, but if there’s a GM that I trust his evaluation skills, it’s Weaver. If the Pistons fall out of top 4-5, I trust in Weaver.

3 Likes

You don’t like Bouknight? He’s really what they need, a high level scorer and secondary initiator

1 Like