2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Was Huerter ever the kind of ball screen scorer Wagner has been this year? I don’t remember him much so I’m genuinely curious. Can’t imagine he’s as good a defender either.

I’ve posited the AK47 comparison and I’m sticking with it for Wagner. I watched a lot of NBA basketball in the 2000’s and during his prime, Kirilenko controlled a game without always being the leading scorer and it was the same way I felt about Franz in certain games (FSU and several others). Whether it was suffocating defense or slick passes, the scoring would come, but wasn’t always necessary.

The major caveat with all player comparisons is that no two players are going to be exactly alike and most comps are “best case scenario.” With Franz, he’s not nearly as athletic as AK47, but I think he’s more advanced skill wise at this age. I would also say that I think Franz can be a better shooter, but that’s the one thing I’m starting to get worried about.

Probably better, because he was generally a more efficient scorer than Franz on higher usage, had a killer jumpshot. Def not the same level of defender though.

This times 1,000!
Franz certainly had consistency concerns this season at times, yet he was almost always the best player on the court to those paying attention. The UCLA film will just become 1 data point again, and not THE data point that it seems to be with so many of the prognosticators right now

3 Likes

bUt tHE uClA gAMe aND thE NCaa TOurnAMenT buZz

6 Likes

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/04/08/nba-mock-draft-2021-post-march-madness

1 Like

He’s a high floor prospect with some upside due to his age.

Both mocks have Livers to the Nets. I want that so badly

4 Likes

Would make perfect sense. Somebody who is cheap and will be ready to space the floor and be a terrific catch and shoot guy whose ready right away is the ideal player for them.

1 Like

Drafting a Michigan guy with recurring injury concerns worked out for them the last time…

1 Like

Yeah, great to see his name on there.

Lol, some people man.

Vecenie updated his Mock on The Athletic today. Of note:

8 Moses Moody
11 Franz
23 Ayo
30 Aaron Henry
31 Bones Hyland
33 Josh Christopher
35 Isaiah Todd
38 Luka Garza
54 Kofi

No Livers…

Livers isn’t getting drafted after that foot injury after having ankle Injuries the previous 3 years. Extremely unfortunate cuz I think right before the injury he was being mocked Mid 2nd round and steadily climbing. A deep tourney run and I could’ve seen him being taken early 2nd round in the 30s and getting a nice guaranteed contract worth millions.

12 Likes

Yep (and other characters)

Yeah unfortunately his senior season was exactly what you don’t want - it raised as many questions (will he ever be healthy?) as it answered (he can probably defend wings).

1 Like

Tankathon currently has Franz at 14, no matter how the lottery simulator plays out.

Still “in the lottery”! (Not that it matters)

1 Like

I worry that a lot of teams are going to say “we know Franz is the best player, but we need shooting or a big man, etc.” and thus are going to let him slide. I do think he’d be a good fit with the Pels, Pacers, Kings, and even Golden St.

(To clarify, I firmly believe he belongs in the lottery… I just hope those teams make the smart move)

Let’s see how it plays out. I’d hate to start getting that last-guy-in-the-green-room vibe, but honestly I don’t think we’ll see that. He’s still young, two-way, positional versatility and elite FT percentage, and he shut down fellow lottery pick Scottie Barnes one-on-one.

1 Like