2021 NBA Draft Discussion

If Tacko is in the NBA, Kofi definitely will be too.

1 Like

Tacko is a UDFA and donā€™t play at all.

Kofi is probably similar to Jah Okafor coming out of college except Kofi is a much better defender. Not sure how much value heā€™ll bring if he has to defend mobile bigs or PnR at the perimeter since he isnā€™t mobile.

Heā€™s way more athletic and explosive than Okafor too.

Not sure if anyone else saw, but Franz was 9th on The Ringerā€™s initial NBA Big Board. Kevin Oā€™Connor is usually pretty good, but heā€™s also prone to occasional hot takes that make no sense (last year he had Killian Hayes first overall). Just thought it was an interesting insight into just how far he has risen in the minds of NBA guys since he was listed 45th overall in 2022 ESPN Mock Draft back in November. :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Love the Xavier Tillman compā€¦ wait, what? :rofl:

2 Likes

This board needs more ā€œFranz Wagner is not a first rounderā€ advocates to really liven up discussion

6 Likes

I think it might be better than the Danilo Gallinari compā€¦

1 Like

Killian Hayes at #1 overall made zero sense to me. He is a below average athlete with meh handles and lacked creativity to gain separation. Looking at the current season, the rankings became more egregious considering how well Melo has been playing in the NBA so far. Melo is who many thought his older brother, Lonzo, would be as a PG.

I havenā€™t seen anything on the court In The last month or so from Hayes that has shown me he shouldnā€™t have been the #1 pick.

3 Likes

Well according to him, shooting is Franzā€™s number one trait. So if you follow that logicā€¦then I suppose you somehow find your way back to Gallo.

Iā€™ve always thought Wagner reminds me of Nicolas Batum.

5 Likes

For the life of me Iā€™m not sure why Cockburn is consistently so low. Sure, heā€™s not going to stretch the floor at all, but thatā€™s true of plenty of NBA starters. He seems to move well for his sizeā€¦and that size doesnā€™t grow on trees.

1 Like

I agree that Cockburn should at least get drafted.
Moody looks like a really high floor pick.
Not sure about Tre Mann.
(Doing my Pistons scouting.)

A guy to compare him to is the center for Utah State. Heā€™s playing right now and Iā€™ve seen him considered a low second round pick as well.

Because heā€™s not fit for a modern NBA game. Move well for his size is good in college level not in the NBA.

Chaundee Brown got a mention in the Givony/Schmitz article this morningā€¦ ā€œhelped himself in postseason play.ā€

2 Likes

Iā€™m skeptical of Chaundee having any chance of getting a shot in the NBA, but itā€™d be cool if he got a chance.

2 Likes

Heā€™d be working his way in from the fringes, but thatā€™s an NBA athlete with the basic tools at a position where bodies are needed.

1 Like

Another Big Board update from Vecenie

Of interestā€¦

06 Scottie Barnes
07 Moses Moody
18 Wagner
23 Ayo
27 Cam Thomas
28 Aaron Henry
29 Nahā€™Shon Hyland
34 Greg Brown
35 Josh Christopher
46 Joe Wieskamp
51 Isaiah Todd
52 Luka Garza
55 Trayce Jackson-Davis
60 Johnny Juzang
61 Livers
77 EJ Liddell
87 Kofi
93 Aaron Wiggins
100 Ron Harper Jr

He went into a bit more detail on Franz-

" Iā€™ve been in the No. 12 to No. 20 range for the last few months on Wagner, and the NCAA Tournament didnā€™t really change much for me there. He had some incredible highs and incredible lows. Against Florida State, he was the best player on the court, showcasing his ability to be a disruptive defender both on and off the ball; his ability to pass it and make plays for teammates with high-level reads; and his shooting ability. Then, against UCLA, he played one of the worst games I think Iā€™ve ever seen from a potential lottery pick (1-of-10 from the field, an airball on a potential game-winning 3 and not nearly the defense weā€™ve come to expect from him). And honestly, this has been the rub with Wagner all year. Heā€™s been great in spurts and has been rough at times. He has moments where he looks like a Robert Covington-like 3-and-D defender who wreaks havoc away from the ball, and then there are other moments where he canā€™t make a shot and gets scored on a ton when defending on the ball. Heā€™s a difficult player to figure out right now. It really will come down to how his frame develops and how his shooting consistency works. Can he continue to gain strength and weight? And then, can he knock down open 3s consistently? I think Iā€™m a believer in it; otherwise, I wouldnā€™t have him this high. But I donā€™t think heā€™s a no-doubter like some do."

Likley took Dickinson off because heā€™s staying :raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes