2019 - Wing - Lester Quinones (Target)

if and i do mean IF both Poole and Iggy were to stay is their even a 2019 schollie to offer Quinones or anyone else?

Someone would have to transfer. All 13 are filled if everyone except Matthews comes back next year.

Okay so looking like someone is leaving for the NBA or transfering then. thanks superdave 41

1 Like

I didnt get the impression he was heading to five star status

In the rivals article Bossi said Beverly was probably the 2nd best guard. Anthony is currently the only 5 star but Cassius Stanley is the next highest ranked at 33 and he Is only 2 spots below the last 5 star at 31 which is Drew Timme.

I guess I inferred some of that to be hyperbole. Usually if a dude is headed to a four to five star jump they are more explicit. Either way, bottom line is Beverly is playing great

I just really hope Poole and/or Iggy stay and if one leaves, Michigan can land Quinones, Wagner or Beverly. Either of the three is a home run pickup in the spring.

6 Likes

Iā€™d really like to get him. I liked his film before this year and now heā€™s reached a new level. If he ā€œonlyā€ turns out to be a Charles Matthews, Iā€™d gladly take that.

I agree. If one of them leaves and if we get one of those 3 players you mentioned we should still have the talent to be a top 10 team. Another interesting option could be a top tier grad transfer that could help us more for next year. If I had to rank these 4 options I think my order would be Beverly, Wagner, Quinones, grad transfer. I love Beverlyā€™s defense and ability to create for himself. I also think his 3 point shot is one that will not be great, or even good, but it should be serviceable right out of the gate and progress with time. Wagner is really interesting because he already gets time with Albaā€™s top team but I think he is still a little weak and slow on the defensive end. Iā€™m not sure how much I would expect from him his freshman year but I could also see him being an immediate contributor. Quinones is a great shooter but I think being a playmaker isnā€™t something he is great at and this is a slight turn off after watching some of Michiganā€™s struggles in that area this year. Also, he is a year older than most people in his class due to the post grad year if I am not mistaken. While not a huge deal by any means I do think it is worth noting.

Personally Iā€™m optimistic all 3 could be solid contributors right away next year if any of them came in. I think Wagner would be the biggest question for me because I wonder if defensively heā€™d be a liability. Quinonesā€™s size and shooting and just overall scoring makes me think he could contribute right away and Beverlyā€™s length, athleticism, defense and finishing ability would be very welcome and needed immediately. Heā€™s also a very astute playmaker out of the Pick and roll. All 3 would contribute as freshman so Landing any one or multiple of those guys would be important.

2 Likes

iā€™d rank Rayjon Tucker above all the young kids minus Wagner maybe

Their ability to pick up the offense and defense will matter just as much. I think a lot of people thought Johns would be ready for the exact reasons you gave for those 3, and he was lost this year(Iā€™m still high on him). I just donā€™t have much faith more than 1 freshman will pick it up well. It was easier when our defense wasnā€™t held to a high standard.

1 Like

But Johns had schemes built around him at East Lansing. He never was truly a part of a greater system, so he never really had a ton of X and O work. Johns was the system at EL.

Beverly, Wagner and Quinones all play for either pro teams or top tier Prep Programs where the player is never bigger than the team and there are multiple guys like you. Those guys all had to adjust and learn more tactics than Johns did. Like Iggy at Orangeville Prep where he had to learn a system because they frequently send High Major players every year to college. Iā€™m a bit more optimistic about those 3 guys acclimating relatively quickly if they came in. At least mentally. Physically you never know how a freshman will be when rolling into the Big Ten.

Quinonesā€™ Coach was a former Michigan assistant and reportedly ran Beileinā€™s offensive system. Beverly played for Coach Boyle, who has coached more top 5 picks than anyone besides Coach K in the last decade I think in college or high school. Franz plays for a Euro Pro Team. Thereā€™s obviously lots of schematics at that level.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a good point. Would be curious if there is evidence that coming from a program like that makes it easier to transition, but it makes logical sense that those types of players could make quicker transitions.

Poole came from a school like that and was simply good, but not ready for massive minutes. Livers came from a regular public school and was more impactful than Johns. I still think itā€™s more of a case by case basis, I donā€™t think you can bank on prep school making them that much better as freshman.

One of the things that surprises me about Pooleā€™s familyā€™s thoughts on Pooleā€™s role at Michigan is the fact that he wasnā€™t featured at LaLu, and if memory serves, didnā€™t even start. With that context, Iā€™m surprised that being featured at this level is of such critical importance. You would think they would understand that you donā€™t need to be featured to get noticed by the right people.

5 Likes

Of course. Everything is case by case depending on the kid. But I think all 3 have backgrounds that make me think they would all be able to mentally acclimate fairly quickly as freshman.

1 Like

Tuckerā€™s the best available player within OR outside the country right now, full stop, in my opinion. I really like the game of all three 2019s that Michigan is hotly pursuing, and I think Justin Pierce is outstanding, but Tucker is next level.

2 Likes

FWIW word is Maryland is moving on from Quinones

Good. The fewer competitors the better

1 Like

Due to perceived lack of traction? Or other?