2018 Recruiting Notes

Thanks! I might want to slip on down to Ottawa Hills to see that game…

EDIT: I had better make sure I have the right Ottawa Hills first!

If it’s GR Ottawa Hills, I’d love to go! I live only a mile or so from there! Unfortunately, GOSH DARN IT, I’ll be out of town that weekend! Do you think I could get my wife to postpone her birthday by about a week?!?

Do you (or anyone) know if that Clarkston game is part of a holiday tourney/event? North Farmington is not far from me so that’d be my best bet…just curious if there are other games worth watching at that time too.

Thanks for posting!

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2018 - F - Brandon Johns (Commit)

I am not entirely sure to be honest. I assume so since its on a neutral court. I haven’t heard of many solo regular games being at a neutral venue.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2018 - Wing - Ignas Brazdeikis (Commit)

Seems like he’s winning MVP at every tournament his team goes to. I’m looking for his 3p% to go up as well.

Iggy is almost certain to be part of the rotation next year. The others still have work to do.

I’m almost willing to bet $ he starts next year if he is even close to as good as advertised. Beilein will find him a spot at the 2, 3 or 4. Wherever just to get him on the court.

Matthews and Iggy at the wing spots could be pretty awesome. They would be a unique combo at the wing spots we’ve never had. Neither is a pure jump shooter (yet) but Matthews athleticism and Iggy’s physicality and handle would be fascinating.

I think we should start accepting that Matthews is gone after this year, lol

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any draft related “gurus” even mention his name. I know he’s off the radar right now but it’s not a 100% certainty at all right now.

2 Likes

Even if Matthews does declare, we should be fine. If Poole makes good improvements for next year, he and Iggy could be a great combo on the wings. Poole as the shooter and Iggy as a do it all scorer. A nice yin and yang combo at the 2/3 spots and Livers and Johns rotating at the 4 and maybe they occasionally slot in at the 3 as well.

3 Likes

At this point he’d probably be a late second round pick at best. For an NBA shooting guard to not have a consistent three point shot, you’ve got to be elite at the other stuff to make up for it. Maybe he’ll improve his stock throughout the season, but like kturnup said, I haven’t even seen him on any mocks.

3 Likes

I think his free throw percentage will cast major doubt on his shooting ability as a whole at the next level. That plus the team likely won’t make as deep of a run in March this year so he won’t have the added buzz of a breakout tournament performance

It’s still pretty early for draft gurus to take notice of a guy who was generally off the radar like Matthews, but he is showing a lot that I think NBA scouts will like. The FT% thing is a good point though. That could end up really scaring teams off since that is very strongly valued for 3 point projection at the next level.

1 Like

There is almost no chance he gets drafted IMO

3 Likes

I agree, Would need to develop a consistent jumper in a hurry

1 Like

The season has just begun. Matthews could grow into another player by seasons end but right now I can’t see him being drafted.

1 Like

I think we all agree he has a wealth of talent, but to get to the NEXT level he needs to get stronger and play through contact, develop a better handle, and definitely develop a more consistent shot. I REALLY think his intent, at this point, is to be here next year because he knows he needs improvement in those areas, and he knows Coach B can help with his shot. Hopefully Sanderson can help with strength and DeAndre can help with handle and toughness.

1 Like