2017 - F - Isaiah Livers (Commit)

Very impressed by those highlights. Looks like he already has the best guard skills of any Beilein 4 (besides maybe Kam? But hard to judge since literally none of it translated) and looks like he has some solid athleticism to go along with it.

Livers athleticism and quickness way better than Kam’s. Also ability to handle and shoot off the dribble and overall shooting ability is better.

1 Like

Livers is good. Roster is going to be talented for years. Really like our rosters depth. Still think a combo guard or straight pg grad transfer could be smart next year, I think we could be a very attractive destination for such a transfer. Just in case x and Eli aren’t ready, could be a very good team next year don’t want to blow it with poor play at the point.

I wonder if livers gets in much. Isaiah, Mathews really add some athletes for us. I love this 17 class overall with Mathews. Wish we had more Brooks film

1 Like

Hard to compare him to anyone that has been on Beilein’s roster at UM. He has guard skills and 6’8" length. Hopefully he can make an impact off the bat.

1 Like

Gonna need to beat out Duncan and Watson next year if he wants minutes.

I think he’s competition for Duncan and Wilson, not so much Watson, who is closer to a 2. I’m pretty sure they project him to the 4 in UM’s offense.

Not sure what the long term plan is, but Watson is exclusively playing 3 right now. Also doubt that there are gonna be many available 2 guard minutes next year between Rahk and Poole.

Watson is probably a career backup. He’s got Matthews to deal with at the 3, who is probably better than him.

1 Like

Matthews is the best player on our team next year and I don’t think it’ll be close. Maybe Wagner but Matthews can do a bit of everything.

I can see Livers possibly backing up the 3 and 4. Ibi is going to have to step up big time to get minutes if he only plays the 3. I can see Matthews playing the 3 and Duncan backing him up. MAAR and Poole covering the 2. That leaves a lot of splinters left for Ibi.

I agree but I’m starting to think Wagner will be the top guy. Especially if the teAm ever wakes up and starts feeding him as one.

Still can’t wait for next year,

Based on the first month of this season, that doesn’t look like too challenging of a task?

Better question may be MAAR or Robinson for minutes next year? If Matthews can fill Irvin’s slot and Wilson stays steady at the big wing slot, do you go shooting with Robinson at the wing & Matthews at the 2-guard or do you go defense with Matthews at the wing and MAAR at the 2-guard?

1 Like

Assuming Matthews is the relative stud that we all hope/think he will be and is guaranteed to be in the starting lineup, I cant see how MAAR keeps his starting spot if his poor play continues. He had some nice drives against UCLA, but his defense has been at least as poor as Duncan’s, and his offensive skill-set is more redundant with Matthews’ than Duncan’s is.

1 Like

Doesn’t Livers fit perfectly behind DJ next year?

3 Likes

I agree he should be the perfect fit but he also seems to have some quickness and shake to maybe spend some time at the 3.

If Poole is the playmaker I think he can be with the ball in his hands right away, our minutes distribution at the 2/3 gets realllllll interesting…basically 5 guys fighting for 2 positions. And with JB’s penchant for giving starters 35 a game who knows what will happen

Seriously, and I think Matthews is a penciled-in starter, based on what MAAR and Duncan have shown. So, assuming X-Matthews-DJ-Mo start, that leaves MAAR, Poole, Duncan, and Watson vying for the 2 or 3 spot, with Matthews filling in the other, and that’s assuming Livers is strictly a 4.

And Im with you, Poole’s defense wouldn’t have to be great to match MAAR and Duncan, and he could very well be more valuable on offense than either of them with his playmaking/shooting combination. Could definitely see one of the seniors begin the year as the starter, then Poole taking the spot later.

1 Like

Can MAAR play point?

Would say no, as of now. People complain about Dwalt’s facilitating, and MAAR has proven to be worse in that department, to date.

This is kind of getting off topic from Isaiah Livers, but I think we are seeing some of the reason that Brooks is in the class. To give a bit more of an offensive punch when X might take a little longer to be a playmaker in that regard.

Kind of like Poole vs. Matthews in terms of shooting vs. defense, etc.

1 Like